If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Crewe ticket barriers

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Barrykap, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
    With the new ticket barriers now operating at Crewe station, how do we spotters/toggers stand with being allowed on the platform? ie is there now a requirement to purchase a platform ticket?

2. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In the first instance speak to the station staff and see what they say. Some managers are fine with spotters while others are hostile. You also need to check out the station operator (I'm guessing that's Virgin) and see what their overall policy is - and if you find what the station management is saying goes contrary to what the TOC says complain to the TOC.

Some spotters have got round gates by buying a cheap travel ticket (thus giving them the right to be on the paid side of the barriers) and not using it, while I'm sure one big NR station was issuing platform tickets at one stage.

However what you should not lose sight of is that he organisation actively pushing the gating of stations is the DfT / Treasuary in London - though as with many of their unpopular sounding ones they like to pretend the decision to install them is all down to the TOCs / NR.

3. Barrykap

Barrykap New Member

Retired
    Thanks for that. Good idea about buying a short return ticket. Maybe to nantwich which is not far from Crewe. When I wnet down the other month they were just starting the ticket barriers and I explained I just wanted to take photos and the lady let me through. On coming back I felt a bit guilty explaining again and they could have mistaken me for a fare-dodger but they let me through again. It is this bit I don't like and am willing to pay for a platform ticket if they introduced them again. Why not? It woudl bring in a bit more revenue for them too as well as a bit of security too maybe.

4. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Virgin run stations tend to be fairly friendly towards photographers. I had no issues going through the Virgin run barriers at Rugby the other week to photograph a special passing through

5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Virgin seems to welcome photographers although some larger stations ask that they let a senior staff member know of their presence. I have always found staff at Stockport, for example, very helpful whilst staff at Manchester Piccadilly don't seem to mind photographers and enthusiasts wandering at will as long as they keep within the platform boundaries.

6. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

The problem with platform tickets from the perspective of the modern railway is that they allow access through the barriers for those who want to attempt doughnut ticketing.