If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Crosti boilered 9F's

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Apr 13, 2017.

1. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The boiler diameter (and number of tubes) was significantly smaller, but the upside was that the centre line of the barrel was about 5" higher, so they could have a deeper firebox, whereas the conventional locos' boxes were probably shallower than ideal.

2. iswise

iswise Member

Hello Neil.
    I wonder if you can assist a Spanish (Basque) acquaintance of mine, Juanjo Olaizola . He is preparing an article for a Spanish publication -Revista de Historia Ferroviaria ("Review of Railway History" ) on the Crosti system as applied to locos across Europe. He asked me if I had any info on the British examples and amongst other things I sent him details of your thread. He would like if possible to use the shot of 92028 at Finedon Road in his article to illustrate the problem of drifting smoke the system tended to create. Do you have the copyright for that photo or if not do you have any idea where I may be able to contact the copyright holder or someone who could authorise the shot's use. Juanjo is an eminent Spanish railway expert who is the prime mover behind the Basque Railway Museum at Azpeitia. He will certainly treat any permission with care and make necessary acknowledgements.
    Any feedback welcome
    Thanks
    Ian Wiseman

philw2 likes this.
  3. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

The photos were bought in a job lot, do you need a copy sending?

Neil

4. iswise

iswise Member

Just a copy of that shot which is of publishable quality is what he would like me to try and obtain, and certainty that he would have authority/permission to publish in the magazine. If you can send a decent copy and confirm that it can be published that would be excellent.
    And also advise what if any acknowledgement has to be made to you and/or the source/copyright owner.

Many thanks for your fast response
    Ian

5. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

To be honest I do not know who took the photo or who retains copyright, so it is a gamble publishing it

Neil

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Neil

No gamble - just credit it to Neil Dimmer collection !

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Deleted

8. staffordian

staffordian Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Does post #7 on page one of this thread shed any light on this?

9. iswise

iswise Member

Thanks very much for the heads up Fred and for the assistance Neil.

I'll see if Peckett can add any further insight.
    Cheers
    Ian

10. iswise

iswise Member

Hello Peckett. As you can see from my post #22 above, am seeking permission on behalf of Juanjo Oliazola for him to use the pic in a serious Spanish railway historical magazine. Do you think it would be acceptable for him to use the photo in his article with a credit to your late mate along the lines of "Photo: Ken Fairey" Or alternatively as per Neil's suggestion. Or do you have any other advice on where I could confirm permission to use the photo in the Spanish magazine. Any help very much appreciated.
    Ian Wiseman

11. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    From photos of them converted to the 'normal' arrangement it would appear that the pre-heaters were removed, and not just blanked off.

12. peckett

peckett Member

Ken passed away some 5 years ago ,I m not sure but I think the photo's were passed on to the RCTS Northampton branch ,or if not the branch ,a member .
    The photo' with the smoke is just bad firing ,not drifting smoke .That was at its best when the loco's where on a embankment with a strong wind blowing sideways to the travel of the train.The fireman's cab side, tender and the first ten wagons or so were completely obscured with steam and smoke.

13. iswise

iswise Member

Thanks so much for the feedback and correction. I will try to contact RCTS Northants.