If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cumbrian Mountain Express 2022

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 61994, Jan 8, 2022.

1. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I understand there's a problem with the NRM inspection road and pit which will affect FTR's for any loco wanting to start from there, FTR's are mandatory before each run, no time schedule for the pit road to be repaired.

Could this explain the lack of steam railtours advertised to start from York ?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  2. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    With regard to last Saturday's WCME, did anyone else think that the exhaust from both locos seemed particularly black? I noticed this when I stood alongside Tangmere at Carlisle, but thought maybe the fireman was stoking up. In several of the videos, both locos seem a bit smoky. Dirty coal?

3. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

With the Waverley's and Spa series advertised I hadn't noticed less than normal

4. Rover

Rover New Member

Why is the Northern Belle more important than proper enthusiasts trips? They are just the plaything of the wealthy in my opinion, and if they were not running,the monied folk would just find something else to spend their cash on. By the way Sierra Leone is not a confused jubilee. It is the owners perogative to call his engine whatever he wishes! Personally, I hope she re enters service as Hong Kong or Punjab or one of the many jubes i saw go through Kettering every day.

5. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

The reason Sierra Leone is described as ‘confusing’ is she still carries Alberta’s number on the cab side, not to mention the fact that she is actually 45699 Galatea!

3ABescot likes this.
  6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

I would have thought it was quite obvious really. WCRC are a commercial business and the NB operation needs an air braked loco and Tangmere is the only one available at 10A currently. So to me it is obvious to protect a Premium product. Pretty much why Clan Line does very few tours other than Belmond.
    What is a proper enthusiast trip? Most tours rely on Dining and First Class for their passenger base. The CME last weekend only had two standard coaches, a buffet and a half brake and I believe was not sold out in standard. I have today received an email from RTC saying they have managed to add an extra dining coach to the next two trips. Railtours can no longer just meet the needs of enthusiasts.
    Of course Mr Smith can run his loco in any guise or colour scheme that he wants, he is after all paying the bills, not a society. @D1002 has answered very well why I regard Galatea (in good humour) as a confused Jubilee.

ragl, MellishR, Sheff and 9 others like this.
  7. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

My take on WCR's business model is that there are various strands/products which together make up a commercial venture. There are the Dalesman, Jacobite, diesel tours etc directly marketed by WCR and provided from in house resources. There are a mixture of one offs and repeats marketed by RTC. There is the premium Northern Belle. There are the non charter train activities. All those strands are important ; without seeing the books it's impossible to say more, but the Northern Belle 2022 list gives an indication of its marketability.

I'm not sure these days how many 'proper enthusiasts trips' there really are. The Tynesider would have been one but has been pulled thanks to engineering works. Perhaps the one over the Hope Valley to Derby is another. But mainly I think you'll find the enthusiasts in coaches K and L of a multi-purpose train like the CME. Then there are the moneyed enthusiasts.............

Anyway, the point is--- there are three in house locos which can cover the Dalesman, SSE, CME etc plus the possibility of hiring in Bahamas for example to cover the summer down south. Without Lizzie and Tornado, they have only got one airbraked loco to cover the Northern Belle. At least until Tornado is back, it would be pretty understandable if management said that Tangmere is reserved for the NB, very much as Lizzie was. Hence I suspect why one or two people in the know made a last minute dash to Euston or Preston last Saturday.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    MellishR likes this.
  8. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    They’re important because as a commercial enterprise how is West Coast going to pay its bills?

Fred Kerr and acorb like this.
  9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Because proper enthusiast trips don't pay the bills. The people with the money are those who prefer to have a nice outing with food in reasonable comfort. For something special they will upgrade to something like the Northern Belle. If they really want to push the boat out then it will be Belmond to offer the quality that nothing else can touch.

Enthusiasts can visit heritage railways and pick up the occasional main line charter. The market is out there for everyone but the money is to be made at the top end.

Be grateful that the CME is available for the enthusiast. That said, paying the same for a Preston departure as London is pretty pricey at £115 now.

ragl and MellishR like this.
  10. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

So as I invariably travel premier dining, I am not a proper enthusiast?

ragl, MellishR, Sheff and 4 others like this.
  11. pete12000

pete12000 Member

The Scarborough Spa Express operating dates are noticeable by their absence on the West Coast website... 'will be announced soon' is the comment

12. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Indeed. @Rover 's rather ridiculous post seems to somehow "resent" enthusiasts spending lot's of their own money on travelling in first and dining, which make up by far the majority of seats on virtually all steam charters nowadays. The logic of that entirely escapes me.

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    From my experience last year on the Pendle and Chester Dalesman trips, standard class is not predominately enthusiasts, mostly it's families of all ages wanting a day out, I would estimate a 60/40 split with enthusiasts being the 40%.

ragl, Mick45305, sgthompson and 3 others like this.
  14. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    The problem for the enthusiast is choosing between the financial support of travelling on the train or the lineside pleasure of photographing the train at speed / work in the Fells. As a supporting enthusiast I use the dining service because my wife can share the pleasure of the dining experience whereas the lineside experience is normally shared with other enthusiasts as the wife will stay at home. Given recent weather conditions I can understand her logic while she can't understand mine in making the effort to be outdoors.

35B, ragl, Spamcan81 and 3 others like this.
  15. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Announced now

16. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Where? It still says to be announced soon on the West Coast web site.

17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

General comment, as you know. There are always exceptions...

18. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

OK I will re word it -
    Re - the original Post - The 'trips' are not in my view notably absent yet the actual dates are NOT there as I write.
    My response was to "Could this explain the lack of steam rail tours advertised to start from York" - the Steam leg from York is advertised but not the time yet

19. pete12000

pete12000 Member

There are no dates for the SSE's https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/scarborough-spa-express/steam-experience, the West Coast website has said "The Dates for our 2022 season will be announced soon" for months now.
    The dates for the Jacobite, Dalesman and Pendle Dalesman are all there and you can Book Now for these but not the SSE's

Waterbuck likes this.
  20. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Correct, no SSE dates public yet, but a lot of the planned details are advertised rather than absent.