If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Current and Proposed New-Builds

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by aron33, Aug 15, 2017.

1. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

I believe progress is being made, but website updates over the last two years have been infrequent.

Black Jim likes this.
  2. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've only a very small amount of finger in this particular pie, but I know some of those involved, and progress is definitely ongoing!

I think a good deal of what is currently being produced is paper (although I believe some bits of metal are in the works as well), but it's very important paper which will ensure George can run on the mainline when built.
    Because not only is she new, but there is barely a component on her which has "grandfather rights" on the basis that identical components are running about on the national network, I think this is particularly challenging. While solutions are being found for the issues that crop up, some of them are taking people rather cleverer than me a lot of time editing Solidworks models, and running FEA analysis!

Black Jim and Steve like this.
  3. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Fair enough - but could you please suggest that they publish more frequent updates, and start a Facebook page (i.e. not a group!)?

Black Jim likes this.
  4. Hirn

Hirn Member

Some people really don't get on with Facebook could I suggest: by all means as well as but not instead of the
    King George the Fifth website.

30854, 2392 and LMS2968 like this.
  5. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd like to see a North Eastern passenger engine or two. A 4-4-0 similar to 1621 at the NRM and perhaps a [LNER Class] B13 4-6-0 something like the "counter-pressure" engine 1699 [1946 number I think] used before the joint LMS/LNER Rugby test plant was built/opened. Though not as a departmental machine. Never really liked the B16s' don't really know why. Perhaps it's down to the cylinders being connected to the leading driving wheels rather than centre. Or for a third an Atlantic, though they weren't as aesthetically good looking IMO as the Great Northern large boilered [251] Atlantics'.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    aron33 likes this.
  6. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

The Brighton atlantic should do that for you! how about a NE 'Z' atlantic ? Or a GC 'Jersey Lilly'?

BrightonBaltic and aron33 like this.
  7. aron33

aron33 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Or a Thompson L1?

8. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

If we're going to build 2-6-4Ts, I'd rather build the four Maunsell classes (which have most of their components in common with the preserved 'U' and 'N' Moguls) before the wretched Thompson...

9. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Four? K,K1,W and.......???

10. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Metropolitan L2. Tank version of the N-class Mogul, smaller-wheeled 'K', two-cylinder version of the 'W'. Why the Southern never used it, I don't know. Withdrawn and scrapped in the late 40s even though the tender version on the SR lasted another 15 years.

11. 30854

Retired
    Forgot about that one! Definitely something different and probably the best choice, especially if someone could get TfL interested in the idea.

I know the Sevenoaks crash was put down to poor track, but all the same, not too sure how I'd feel about an L2 (dunno what sorts of speeds they ran at in Met/LPTB service), let alone a K/K1 (with all that baggage) and certainly not without the sort of computer modelling done by A1SLT to prove ride quality ahead of any metal being cut.

12. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Stick a well tank between the frames, look after the track properly, and in any case it's not likely to be going above 25mph... the 'K' rode fine at up to 85mph on the ECML!

13. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Having been so phobic about 2-6-4 tanks, its surprising that on formation one of the first things BR did was to transfer Fairburn 2-6-4T's to the Southern who also built some of their own in Brighton Works

BrightonBaltic and 2392 like this.
  14. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

And I think all but one of the surviving BR 4MT tanks were Brighton-built...

15. 30854

Retired
    My earlier reply hinted at that and in all honesty, I agree the Southern's phobia about using that wheel arrangement on passenger work was unscientific (tactful, eh?), but regardless of later use of Fairburn and Standard 2-6-4T's, I stand by my comment about full computer modelling of Maunsell's design. Sevenoaks wasn't a trivial accident and I honestly don't accept the "only 25mph" argument (I suspect the more salacious elements of the media wouldn't either). I've little doubt that the approach adopted with Billinton's "L" class would work, but is that really what a new build of a design regarded by it's original owner as 'suspect' should be about?

Despite personally finding the B4x an attractive loco, I'd never suggest a new build for the same stability reason as the 'River' tanks, even though other issues, such as choke points in the steam circuit, could be sorted out.

Odd, innit....anything original and new by Marsh wasn't that good, but the rebuilds were top notch. With Lawson Billinton, the opposite seemed true.

If I were looking at anything from the SECR stable for a new build, the ex-LCDR "R" class 0-4-4T would head my own list, but as I'm not, I'll stick with my previously stated choice, a Billinton "K", but wouldn't shout down anyone suggesting a C2x (single dome!), a D1 or D3 Either of the latter two would be a great excuse.... sorry.... opportunity to recreate some suitable Panter "Balloon" stock (and yes, I do know it's later), itself a large gap in the LBSC/SR story.

16. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Lawson Billinton's Baltics and Moguls were good... Marsh's I3 was top notch... If you're going to do a B4, I'd rather it be the original small-boiler type. Likewise the C2 in preference to C2X. Much prettier.

30854 likes this.
  17. 30854

Retired
    I'm with you on the "B4", but looks aside, the "C2x" was a class apart.

Trouble with the "B4".... nowt much suitable to run with it (I know.... but there's a bit of Brighton freight stock for the "K".... that's my excuse ..... and I'm sticking to it!!) you'd need to fork out for a half dozen wooden bodied Pullman carriages. Might be worth it if "Gladstone" ever came home to live again!

18. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

I'm all for de-accessioning 214... it'd mean I could sneak into the shed at Sheffield Park at night, sand off the "Gladstone" lettering and paint "Disraeli" in its place ;-)

The C2X was pretty ugly, whereas the C2 was really rather pretty. [​IMG]

aron33 and 30854 like this.
  19. 30854

Retired
    If either of the Billintons' designs, "B4" or "L" wasn't so inherently unsuitable for light 25mph operations, I'd seriously suggest "Bernard Holden" as a highly appropriate name for a Bluebell new build.

20. BrightonBaltic

BrightonBaltic Member

Considering the Bluebell operates multiple types of 6ft 2ins-driving wheel locomotive successfully, I don't see 6ft 9ins being that much different... albeit I could imagine the B4 could be a bit frisky starting uphill!