If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dalesman and Pendle Dalesman 2021

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by iancawthorne, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Bodorganboy

Bodorganboy Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

45627 Sierra Leone storms through Settle

John Merry, Enterprise, 46223 and 4 others like this.
  2. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Today is Tuesday (I think) and it's "Chester Dalesman Day" - so off to Hellifield for a mooch. When I arrived Sierra Leone/Alberta/Galatea (SLAG?) was simmering nicely in the up loop and already attached to the north end of her support coach. Mick Rawling was in the driver's seat and tucking into a bacon?/sausage? butty and he was making a damned fine job of it. On the platform, the table reserved for the 10A Breakfast Club was empty. Roly Parker and a couple of others were seated at a table on the other platform that was sheltered from the breeze.

I left around 10.15 to try to ensure that I might have my pick of the spots on Horton in Ribblesdale up platform. At Hellifield the sky was covered with thin grey cloud, there was a light easterly breeze and it was around 17C. Driving north from Settle the cloud began to break and the sun appeared, briefly lighting up patches of of the valley floor and the hillsides beyond Stainforth. There were already several cars parked at Horton in R station, would the best places on the platform be taken? I needn't have feared; I had wanted to be at the north end of the platform and it was free, most of the early arrivals were sitting on the benches. I had about 25 minutes to wait, time for a Nutri-Grain bar - mmm! Sunshine was still hit and miss but sheltered from the breeze it felt pleasantly warm.

Soon the sound of a distant Stanier hooter, then some exhaust noise, quiet and then another blast of the hooter, now closer. The unmistakable 3 cylinder exhaust beat growing louder and then some smoke. The sound of the exhaust got louder and louder, a sharp edge to the blast as SL hauled her train up the hill. Then she appeared, her exhaust shooting skywards, regularly darkening every few seconds as more coal was added to the fire. A whistle before the platform, another round of coal, she was level with me, then past. The coaches slid by, 12 in total. I turned and watched her head off towards Selside, as she did she passed through a small patch of sunlight and all the while making the noise that only a Jubilee can make. That wonderful sound continued long after the train had disappeared from view. 3L at Horton in R station and travelling at around 29 mph - that'll do for me!

3ABescot, John Merry, Victor and 10 others like this.
  3. ficksberglion

ficksberglion New Member

45627 1 lr.jpg Shades of '67 at Blea Moor - give or take the trees and the odd coach !

Spamcan81, Johnb, 68923 and 27 others like this.
  4. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    45627 heads the 12 coach Dalesman up through Horton in Ribblesdale station and makes the most wonderful sounds whilst doing so. The Jubilee could be heard clearly for over 3 minutes before the video starts and long after it finishes. The video begins with the FoSCL lady, having left her gardening duties, heads along the platform for something much more enjoyable . . .

(Apologies for the abrupt transition between approach and going-away footage; the start of the away shot was spoiled when a silly old codger put his arm out to wave - and he was wearing my sweatshirt!!)

3ABescot, 68923, beavis and 15 others like this.
  5. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Pendle SL 1b.jpg

Crossing the River Ribble and away from Helwith Bridge Jubilee class No, 45627 'Sierra Leone' heads the 'Pendle Dalesman' onwards to Carlisle with Mick
    Rawling driving, Chris Holmes on the shovel and Roly Parker Guard

Pendle SL 4b.jpg

Locomotion in the landscape as No. 45627 'Sierra Leone' works the return 'Pendle Dalesman' through the Lune Gorge with Mick Rawling driving, Rob Russell
    on the shovel and Roly Parker Guard

Johnb, 68923, acw71000 and 19 others like this.
  6. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    45699 Galatea in the guise of 45627 Sierra Leone seen from above Helwith Bridge, Barrow Mill, Kitchenhill and finally south of Shap.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    goldfish, 68923, acw71000 and 13 others like this.
  7. Keith Sergeant

Keith Sergeant New Member

South through Brock 31/08/21

_DSC7089.jpg

nige757, royals pete, 68923 and 9 others like this.
  8. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Today is the last day of August, the last day that the local schools are on holiday and hence the last day that Oswald will have a traffic free journey to Chapel Lane at Hoghton. Autumn is not far away, the horse chestnut tree opposite Wistle Towers is already starting to shed its leaves. The sky was all clouds from start to finish, some white but most various shades of grey; the darkest offering the merest and briefest hint of drizzle. The temperature was 12C and the gentle breeze from the northeast was cool.

I arrived in good time and was joined shortly afterwards by a young man and his father who had travelled up from Chesterfield for a "day's chasing"; Selside, Birkett and Langho were on their itinerary. The young man remained on the bridge whilst his father walked down to the foot crossing. The Preston bound unit came and went travelling unusually slowly. The prevailing wind is westerly and is useful as it brings the sound of eastbound trains as they whistle for the distant crossings lower down the bank; today nothing! The 3 cylinder exhaust beat of the hardworking Jubilee could only be heard faintly and then for less than a minute before Sierra Leone came into view. Good, powerful, noisy blasts from her chimney as she lifted her 12 coach train towards the summit, exhaust clearly visible in the cool air, a whistle for the crossing and away under the bridge.

A few steps to the other side of the bridge and as the exhaust cleared SL topped the summit, on past the signal, a whistle and over the crossing. Now on falling grades the exhaust beat quickened as she accelerated her train along the straight, crossing the viaduct over the River Darwen before curving away towards Pleasington. Although out of sight the distant sound of her exhaust continued for some time. On board or trackside Jubilees always seem to put on a show. 23 mph towards the summit and around 2/3L.

acw71000, 3ABescot, nige757 and 8 others like this.
  9. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Selside. 29217756-FCC1-44E4-BFAE-DF44A7E3273F.jpeg

DWH 2848, Victor, nige757 and 19 others like this.
  10. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

Brilliant image. Love seeing a steam locomotive hard at work with a heavy train over the S&C.

sgthompson likes this.
  11. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Seldom, if ever, does a Jubilee's "chimney music" fail to impress and today was no exception as SL drags 12 coaches up the 1/101r to Hoghton summit. Once over the top the regulator stays open as she accelerates away towards Blackburn. The video stops with the loco almost a mile away and still audible. The sound could be heard for a further minute after this, by which time I guess she must have been around Pleasington. What an auditory delight!

RalphW, Shep Woolley, nige757 and 9 others like this.
  12. Bodorganboy

Bodorganboy Member

45627 on today's Pendle Dalesman

acw71000, Mick45305, nige757 and 7 others like this.
  13. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

14. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    Footage of 45627 at Selside Cottages and Angrholm .

Davo, Shep Woolley, acw71000 and 13 others like this.
  15. ficksberglion

ficksberglion New Member

Dent Head Viaduct 45562 Dent Head 310821 lr.jpg

16. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

I bet there was some cursing at Ais Gill.

steamingyorkshire likes this.
  17. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    I’d reckon so as it was pretty obvious from my video the unit was in the wrong place for most folk sadly.

Bluenosejohn and blink bonny like this.
  18. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Pendle SL 1b.jpg

Jubilee class No. 45627 'Sierra Leone' puts on a fine display as it approaches Stainforth Tunnel with the northbound 'Pendle Dalesman' with Mick Rawling
    driving, Steve Clark firing and Roly Parker Guard

Pendle SL 2b.jpg

With drizzle beginning to fall No. 45627 'Sierra Leone' crests Aisgill Summit with the return leg of 'The Pendle Dalesman' with Mick Kelly driving, Martyn Soames firing and Matt Miller Guard

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  19. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    Galatea running as Sierra Leone is seen at a blustery Selside Cottages and Angrholm.

acw71000, 68923, sgthompson and 7 others like this.
  20. walkerp1

walkerp1 New Member