If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Developments on the Corris Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Corris Steam, May 22, 2016.

1. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    ..... and what an odd sight that skeleton coach was! I couldn't help but think how well it'd have gone with No.3's temporary 'ghost' livery, immediately post it's late 1960s rebuild. :)

2. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    A bit of recent live action at the Railway

Goldie, 68923, 30854 and 2 others like this.
  3. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Seen this?

The Corris in pre GWR days!

Goldie, 30854, 5944 and 2 others like this.
  4. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

Yes, and looking like a busy day for passengers when the film unit captured those seconds of footage. Covid permiiting, number 4 will be back working CR passenger trains again May 8th and 9th next year for the first time since that era at the Gala Weekend

30854 likes this.
  5. 30854

Retired
    Though I'm pretty certain @Llwyngwern be well aware, the Corris, under Bristol Tramways management, pre-1929, operated it's own network of bus services. An early example of integrated transport, as opposed to the usual competition between road and rail.

Oddly, the successor Crosville bus timetables in the area still reflected the ghost of CR passenger services well into the 1980s.

andrewshimmin likes this.
  6. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

Yes indeed. It was the network of Corris bus services that was of interest to the GWR. Their reaction to an earlier suggestion concerning acquiring the railway was "Not at any price."

There is a good account of the bus services inc the Crosville era in "Corris Nostalgia" by Gwin Briwnant Jones inc a picture of the fun involved in routes from Dolgellau negotiating the junction that takes you down to the village. Those seeking the book will find it on the Corris webshop and revenue will help the railway.

Machynlleth and Aberllefenni via Corris and its station yard are linked today by Lloyds service 34 Mon- Sat. Sundays you'll need the T2 and walk down from the Braich Goch Inn.

30854 and andrewshimmin like this.
  7. 30854

Retired
    i'm always amazed ..... and relieved ..... that no-one in Corris management thought to 'do a Col Stephens' and replace steam with ex-WD infernal combustion kit, in the aftermath of WWI. My suspicion is that, had the line come under the GW at grouping, closure would've supervened too early for anything much to survive

8. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

A bit more news from the front:-

CORRIS RAILWAY NEEDS A “WINDOW” IN THE WEATHER AND MORE FUNDING FOR SOUTHERN EXTENSION WORK

Having completed the wall of stone filled gabion baskets during the long spell of dry weather in May and early June the return of wetter conditions had left the Corris Railway looking for another sunny period in order to further advance work on the embankment south of Maespoeth Junction.

The embankment will be made up of stone, slate, earth and some geotextile material and when complete will be 170 metres long and up to 6 metres high in places. It will have steep sides to meet flood amelioration requirements in the Dulas Valley. Construction therefore will have to be by professional contractors using heavy plant and machinery. This will use the estimated 12,000 – 15,000 tonnes of material obtained from Dolgellau but will still leave some work to be done. There is a risk that if the construction is not able to advance the Corris may lose the material, which will be frustrating as if work resumes this phase of the job can be done in around one working week.

There has been some optimistic talk among enthusiasts of having the embankment complete and the running line extended along its top by the end of 2020 but the Corris is keen to point out that whilst this is not impossible (although potentially further complicated by Covid-19 and possible consequent limitations for volunteer workers) it will certainly not happen without enough money being available. Even with all the earthworks in place ballast, sleepers and track fixings have to be purchased. A complete 10 metre length of the new track will cost £795, so that work will absorb around £13,500. The CR has a supply of rail in secure storage.

However current donors can be assured that all money received during this stage of the Southern Extension Project will go into materials and construction. The Corris wants to be running its trains over a longer distance in the Dulas Valley as soon a possible. And track has already been laid, and used, on the northern part of embankment that has previously been constructed.

Donations for the Southern Extension and, if necessary, to help the Raillway through the Covid-19 crisis, can be made via the Corris Railway website www.corris.co.uk . The website is updated with information and pictures as progress is made and video reports are posted via the Corris’ facebook page and embedded in the website. Cheques, payable to Corris Railway, can be sent to Corris Railway, Station Yard, Corris, Machynlleth, Powys, SY20 9SH

Goldie, Heregoes789, Paul42 and 3 others like this.
  9. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

Heregoes789 likes this.
  10. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

The Corris Railway has reluctantly had to join the list of lines that will not be re-opening for normal passenger trains in 2020 due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. However with the easing of restrictions in Wales the volunteer workforce has been able to progress various projects on the line to further improve the Railway ahead of 2021.

The problems with reopening are threefold. The recreation of the bogie coach carriages from the Corris’ first incarnation has led to an internal layout of open saloons accessed by a shared entrance in the centre of the vehicle. Possibilities of social distancing are further reduced by the tight loading gauge.

Social distancing is also a consideration with the talk and sheds tour which is offered to passengers arriving at Maespoeth Junction, and for passengers in the shop and refreshment area at Corris. During wet weather, not exactly unknown in the Dulas Valley, passengers tend to use this as a waiting area until the train arrives.

However the volunteer workforce has pressed ahead with various projects. Construction of the new shelter for the heritage waggon shelter at Maespoeth Jnc. is underway and once the waggons are in their new home more space in the carriage shed will be available. Carriage number 23 is approaching completion and should be available for traffic in 2021, assuming no new restrictions on work inside the shed are imposed. Clerestory roofed carriage number 24, which will eventually bring 1st Class travel to the Corris for the first time since 1930, is also progressing on both metal and wood working fronts.

Between Corris and the Junction work has also been carried out with vegetation clearance and track maintenance being undertaken.

Donations towards the Corris General Fund, which will assist with the continuing costs during the suspension of operations and their eventual resumption, and also for the works on the ongoing Southern Extension can be made via Paypal at www.corris.co.uk.

Goldie, 30854, Bluenosejohn and 3 others like this.
  11. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

Heregoes789 likes this.
  12. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

After a brief sojourn in the carriage shed at Maespoeth Junction the smokebox for the new build steam locomotive “Falcon” number 10 has departed for the workshops of Alan Keef Ltd together with the boiler and other fittings.

It was intended that the items would have stayed on display at the Junction to aid fund-raising for the project until the “bottom half” of the engine was completed. However with the Corris being one of the closed lines of 2020, and the presence of a lorry looking for a return load in the Mid Wales area, the Corris has agreed with Keef’s that the components can be moved. Work on the motion is not yet complete but the end of that phase is in sight.

The lorry was the one used to return Talyllyn carriage number 17 to Tywyn from Haltwhistle after its overhaul. This is the working example of the pair of surviving original Corris carriages – the other is an exhibit is in the Museum at Corris.

The latest edition of the quarterly newsletter sent to people who are subscribing or have subscribed towards the construction of number 10 was sent out at the end of July.

Any donations towards the project can be made online via www.corris.co.uk

13. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

New photographs have beeb posted on the www.corris.co.uk website this evening. Monday 17th

Goldie, 30854, sycamore and 2 others like this.
  14. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

From the Corris Facebook page a bit more news. There are a couple of pictures there as well.

It is a relatively long time since we published any pictures of our southern extension. Unfortunately the weather has remained bad and at least four days of dry weather is required before major tipping can start. In the meantime preparation work has continued. The steps in the second picture will help to strengthen the link between the northern section of the embankment, that has already been built, and the new formation.

15. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

16. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

More developments with new build "Falcon" number 10. The eccentrics for the motion have arrived at Keef's from the foundry:-

upload_2020-8-28_15-8-48.png

17. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

And the hits just keep on coming. New pictures are now at www.corris.co.uk

ross likes this.
  18. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Is there an intention to re-build the overall roof on the station at Corris?

19. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

Hello Ross,

Yes there is. There is a Corris station section of the website with CGI images. We can't recreate it exactly as was for reasons of space and maintaining the village car park but the iconic roof will be there eventually. However it needs funding alongside the Extension, new steam engine, regular payments like insurance etc. etc, so it all takes time.

Thanks for the interest.

20. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

This is a model of what is eventually planned as viewed from above the old stable block which now houses the museum and shop

upload_2020-8-30_7-56-39.jpeg

Heregoes789, 62440, ragl and 6 others like this.