If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Devon Belle A1SLT/ UKRT 2nd April

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Where's Mazeppa?, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Pity about the slow schedule to Basingstoke. Was rather hoping Waterloo - Salisbury would have the same schedule as laid down for Braunton on 13/09/2014 but brought forward by 2 hours and with a stop at Basingstoke from say 08.44 - 08.46. FWIW the schedule laid down for Braunton was:-

London Waterloo d 09:55 Clapham Jn 10:03 Surbiton 10:12 Woking 10:23 Farnborough 10:33 Basingstoke 10:43 Andover 11:10 Salisbury a 11:33

This tour left from plat 19 at Waterloo so had a bit of a weave to gain the down fast but was through Basingstoke in 46m 58s despite a slight tsr at Brookwood. It then inevitably caught up the 09.50 Waterloo - Salisbury which is all-stations after Basingstoke.

When all the works are finished at Waterloo the Windsor line trains will be in the International plats 20-24 so plat 19 will be a lot more convenient for the down fast! Only 3 years to wait...

KentYeti likes this.
  2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The landslip near Templecombe has now been dealt with so apart from a possible tsr the line will be ok for Tornado on Saturday.

3. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

That's good news. :) Looking forward to a good trip out as I've treated myself for my 68th birthday, 2 nights in London, 1st class train travel there and back (cost less than a standard class return :D), and full dining on the day, just hope the weather behaves.

Be my first steam trip since late 2014 but hopefully not the last this year.

Dave B

KentYeti likes this.
  4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Enjoy it!

5. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

The Tornado/UKR trips are an absolute treat. You will have a great day.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. 7143

7143 New Member

Engineer
    It might appear to be slow to Basingstoke but that's not necessarily the case Woking to Basingstoke. Tornado appears to have been allowed 22 minutes including the crossover from SL to FL at Woking* and FL to SL at Basingstoke (*RTT shows crossing to the FL from Surbiton but then Platform 5 at Woking, which is the SL). The fast electric 444s to Weymouth are allowed 18 minutes, no crossovers and no stopping at Basingstoke either. On leaving Woking, there is a scheduled Exeter train just 6 minutes behind Tornado, reduced to 4 minutes by Farnborough and 3 minutes by Basingstoke. No margin there for any delay.

7. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

I am quite sure the A1ST crew and DBS will be on top form as always for this excursion, they seem to make a habit of it!!

8. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, a ringing endorsement for both of these very positive views of what’s on offer with the Devon Belle. And for that very reason I do sometimes wish that UK Railtours would push the boat out just a little bit further with the number of steam trips that they offer. Nothing too dramatic, mind, and nothing that would add up to over-exposure for a justifiably acclaimed “product”. Perhaps something along the lines of a re-run of 2014’s “Solent and Sarum” would make a great start??

But in the meantime, who would argue with an outing specifically promoted under the strap-line “A Tornado in the Land of the Three Cylinder Pacifics”. This will be only my second trip along the entirety of the Waterloo-Exeter line (the first having been with Hoover haulage some 26 years ago) and the pleasure of anticipation of this trip is right up there with the best of the best.

I take further encouragement (if any was needed) from Big Al’s post summing up of the last (August 2014) Devon Belle outing with Tornado when he wrote. “You just have to pinch yourself when any DBS crew accelerates Tornado away. It is as if a turbo kicks in after the train has started to pick up speed. It's exactly the kind of performance that you need on a busy main line…………..Tornado is definitely a tribute to the engineering design and tweaks that were made when she was built (WCR please note) and I'll go again with her whatever the colour she is painted”.

Final thought on the theme of locomotive performance in "The Land of the "Three Cylinder Pacifics" ….

I seem to recall reading over the last month or so that, UK Railtours may getting together with MNLPS to hatch plans for some sort of 50th Anniversary “End of Southern Steam” spectacular next year, always assuming Clan Line’s overhaul is completed in good time. MNLPS-DBS-UKRT…a coalition of the mighty indeed!! But if (or when) this does materialise as a railtour, what a great forum this would make for an on-board book-signing event. “Southern” has never really been my thing, but I would definitely go out of my way to make an exception for this!!

andalfi1, free2grice and KentYeti like this.
  9. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    As was the case when Fred Lewis was in charge of Tornado on 14th February of this year. It was Fred's final steam turn.
    The UKRT charter was returning from Worcester to Padd via Bath and proved to be a fantastic run. <BJ>

Where's Mazeppa? likes this.
  10. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

And in case this hadn't already come to everyone's notice, Mike Hedderly's "Top Link" column in the next issue of Steam Railway (#453 out 22nd April) will be featuring this much-praised return leg of the Red Rose (complementing the excellent coverage devoted to the outward leg via Oxford that has appeared in this month's issue). It should certainly prove to be an impressive valedictory.

11. guycarr360

A while ago we did Edinburgh to York with Tornado, and I back up the comments above, from a start to 75mph, she is the master of her task.

Built for the modern mainline, performs almost faultlessly, operated by crews fully conversant with her.

From that perspective the A1ST have it very right, in terms of operation and TOC used.

12. Big Al

If ever it becomes possible for a steam locomotive to work at up to 90 mph on the ML in the future, then I would have thought that Tornado was the one to be approved but with speed comes maintenance costs. (Nothing against A4s either!)

13. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Which will also help rid itself of the 'Yawnado' tag....

14. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I can only assume that those who refer to 60163 as "Yawnado" do not appreciate what a fine pice of engineering she is nor experienced her at her imperious best.

15. Big Al

It is amazing that some folk see 'boringly predictable' - I'm holding my breath at this point ahead of Saturday! - as something to scorn. I know that there may be a frisson of extra tension/excitment in a day out with Tangmere or Scots Guardsman but sometimes we can do without that kind of thing.

16. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    If you want to see superb engineering, immaculately prepared and turned out, and watch effortless performance with minimum of fuss and drama, then Tornado is the one to follow.

bakabung, guycarr360 and Martin Perry like this.
  17. guycarr360

Well said to all above, except one "clem", the Tornado/DBS link is a proven performer, something others can only hope to emulate.

And no diesel accompanying, and good schedules, fast running, in the knowledge that her crew, and the loco, can deliver on a modern railway.

Long may it stay that way, with familiarity comes a good day out for all, and not left in some backwater for hours awaiting a path, after loosing it due to "circumstances".

Hope everybody has a good day out, you know they will, its become the norm with this operation.

Where's Mazeppa? likes this.
  18. bakabung

bakabung Well-Known Member

Cat servant
    No finer example of this than the Paddington to Kingswear trip on 23rd March 2013. Minor problem fixed by the support crew (air pump I think) that meant it left Slough around an hour late. You could see by the way it left Slough that it was on a mission. Arrived early at Kingswear. A pleasure to see it, anytime.

19. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Thanks, I'm sure we will, my first steam out of Waterloo and the LSWR to Exeter, the proper way ! The nearest I have been previously is E&C Marylebone-Clapham Jct 34092, where they stuck a Crompton on the front to drag us to Woking for the 150 celebrations :(

20. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Well said everyone. When the project was announced I couldn't understand why anyone would want to build Blue Peter with big wheels, however the engineering that's gone into it and it's performance inspired me to become a founder of the P2. The one they always should have built, Tornado was the trial run.
    Anyone who calls it Yawnado should have been at Shere Crossing on March 12 watching it romping up Gomshall Bank with 13 heavy Pullmans behind the tender

Spamcan81 likes this.