If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Devon Belle A1SLT/ UKRT 2nd April

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Where's Mazeppa?, Mar 11, 2016.

1. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Almost 5 late in Basingstoke.

No surprise. 4 and half minutes in from Hook including a crossover to the slow was a somewhat unreal schedule. A 74.7 mph average pass to stop! Sort of thing only ever done once in BR times. A big LMS loco in 1937 dropping down Madeley Bank into Crewe I think. Said by some to have left wheel flange marks on the crossovers approaching the station.

2. ROGace

ROGace Member

Grrr they have put an Exeter in front of us at Basingstoke. Crawling towards Worting junction

Sean Emmett likes this.
  3. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

As scheduled I suspect. Hence the 11 minute timing to Worting with 5 and a half minutes of pathing time in that schedule.

4. ROGace

ROGace Member

We are flying now and the 159 was 3L at BAS. With anyluck we will storm Andover

KentYeti likes this.
  5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Best I can find from SR steam days is a West Country on 12/380 tons starting from Woking and going over MP31 at 67 mph.

6. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Looked and sounded good to me at Brookwood. I-phone was displaying "no room for videos's. Eek! Oh well, Mr Knowwun will clearly post later. Keep an eye out for a monstrosity of a reporting code on the smokebox. Horrendous!

7. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Hopefully you won't catch the Exeter train again, but I think there are some long sections there.

PS. From RTT looks like you did storm Andover!

8. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Deleted in view of possible reason for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  9. Oli15

Oli15 Member

Chin up M8Y.....i would guess this is a tribute after Ray Towell passed away in the week

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Hope a Nat Presser or two are up near the top of Grateley bank. Usually taken at 70 mph by the down ACE with such as Fred Hoare at the controls. But usually a bit more than 75 mph through Andover! Fred was usually close to either side of the 90mph mark through there.

11. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

RTT indicates the climb to Grateley with 500 tons could have been rather good!

12. hatherton hall

Oh dear. I didn't know about that. Very sad news indeed as he was a man of steam and I will always remember the video footage of him on his beloved V2 60800 having been stopped at the bottom of Rattery bank at Totnes station in appalling wet conditions, with absolutely little hope of getting away. But he, with his obvious faith in the crew, which included Bryan Dudley Ward managed the almost impossible and they reached Plymouth safe and sound.
    I read that Ray Towell had a heart attack in 2012 and if it wasn't for a paramedic passing by, he would have passed away then. He recovered his health and enjoyed another 4 years of life. I for one, will miss his magical smile and his passion for steam. Rest in Peace!
    Nick

13. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

60 mph min up Grateley from 73 in dip after Andover.
    77 max down Porton before inevitable brake application.
    BAS - SAL 41m 38s.

KentYeti likes this.
  14. hatherton hall

Where can I find the RTT times, Mr Yeti?

15. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

16. hatherton hall

KentYeti likes this.
  17. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Cheers. Depending on how much time was lost waiting for the Exeter train to clear Worting that could be close to a net even time run from Basingstoke.

18. ROGace

ROGace Member

Nice run from Worting 76mph. Great to see the A1steam.com team working hard to pull off another special day out. Nice to see many friends and familiar faces. Taking water here at Salisbury all on time. Looking forward to the Honiton climb as Mr Bunker knows is my home turf.

KentYeti likes this.
  19. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Brookwood

Seemed to be struggling a little to me.

KentYeti likes this.
  20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just seen a picture of 60163 and the reporting number. A very fitting and touching tribute to Ray. Well done to those who came up with the idea.

Shoddy127 and KentYeti like this.