If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Didcot: 'All in a Day's Work' - 2nd-4th May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kerosene Castle, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

An event? At Didcot? Bleedin 'eck!

This is a new event, which aims to show the many different aspects of the GWR's operations, focusing primarily on the everyday work that went into running the company.

On the main demonstration line will be the Ocean Saloon train, which will be serving light refreshments. This provides a unique opportunity for the public to sample these luxury 1930's vehicles, which are usually reserved for special functions.

On the branchline there will be freight trains, passenger trains and shunting demonstrations, as well as running on the mixed gauge line. This will be a rare chance to see Didcot's extensive collection of original GWR and private owner wagons in use, including a number which have been overhauled specially for this event. The signaling will be in full operation, and on Saturday there will be a commemoration of Radstock Signal Box's centenary, complete with brass band & cake.

Also on hand will be the breakdown train, featuring the newly overhauled 50 ton steam crane. Around the centre will be various staff, explaining what they are doing, and finding excuses as to why it's not being done.

In steam will be:

ROD 5322 - Newly restored 1917 built 2-6-0, in unique Railway Operating Division livery.
    3650 - Newly Restored 1939 built Pannier, freshly repainted into 1930's livery.
    3738 - Wartime black 1937 built Pannier.
    1338 - Sole surviving Cardiff Railways engine from 1898; one of your last chances to see it in operation before the expiry of its boiler certificate in the summer.

Also in action will be Railcar 22, which will be in operation during Saturday evening.

Oh and did I forget, the bar coach will be open huzzah!

As well as this there will be the usual; shop, museum, antiquary, air raid shelter (newly renovated), science & learning education coach, not to mention the finest collection of equipment from the finest railway in the world.

I will be on hand with Herr Gransden & Beasley, helping to give 5322 a 'light' running in - so if you fancy being able to watch this whilst sampling some finest ale, sort your life out, and get on down there.

2. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Having had to bail out of a visit over Easter (family commitments!) this weekend is definitely on the "to do list" - I'm trying to round up a group of dad's with like minded sons to join me but at the moment its proving to be like herding cats! Whatever weekend we pick someone can't do it so it looks like I will just have to do all of them and see who I can drag along each time!

3. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Looks like a fantastic event!

Will the TPO be running?

I like the sound of evening trips with No.22 too..... \:D/ \:D/

4. Kerosene Castle

I don't believe so, however it will be in action over the 30th/31st May.

5. baldric

baldric Member

So when you get off the railcar in te evening come along to see me and my colleagues for a pint to support the 38 Mob. Near the bar round the turntable should be 3822, 6697 and 7202 (minus boiler and other bits), so you can see what we spend the money on.

6. Brider

Brider Member

Programmer
    ... and on the Saturday, 35028 pulling the VSOE should pass by on its way to/from Oxford...

7. theblackwatch

theblackwatch New Member

Sounds an interesting event. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know which locos are planned to be used on passenger trains, and which one will work the freight?

8. Kerosene Castle

Ok, I haven't seen a copy of the timetable, but essentially as I understand it, there are no fixed freight or passenger engines as such (except the 53xx, which will only be working the Ocean Saloon train). Ie, there won't be just one freight train, that goes on, does its bit and comes off again. The idea is that the goods and mixed trains will be 'made up' and shunted at the transfer shed, before running on the branch, and so the trains behind each engine will naturally vary throughout the day.

I believe one of the panniers will be having a turn on the Saloons on 8 road each day - I understand 3650 is rostered for this on Sunday.

Various groups are planning on having displays around the centre, the Civil Engineering lot will be out the front of the engine shed with their equipment, having been evicted from their usual siding next to Oxford Road!

I'm afraid I don't really have any more info - Baldric or Pannier Man might be more up to date on the exact arrangements.

Trust me, it'll be worth going to!

9. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

It may be worth going to but...

I live 3 hours plus away from Didcot,and having only visited at Easter my sole reason for considering going on Saturday is for a ride behind 3650.
    Is anyone able,please,to confirm whether 3650 will be on passenger trains on Saturday?

10. Kerosene Castle

Perhaps my reply was not lucid enough.

It will be on the branch, and will be pulling both passenger and goods trains, as will the other branch engines.

11. theblackwatch

theblackwatch New Member

Many thanks for the info 'Kerosene Castle', I shall be travelling down from Yorkshire for the event on Saturday. Look forward to having a proper look round the site as well, my only previous visit was a flying one in between courses on a Vintage Trains Christmas Noshex whilst 4965 was turned!

12. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kerosene Castle,on the basis of your reply I too will be heading for Didcot and 3650 on Saturday.
    May even bump into theblackwatch by the sound of things.

13. baldric

baldric Member

Everything is now set up and ready for tommorow. As I left the site 20 minutes ago Kerosene Castle was busy cleaning 5322. Come down and see us, plenty of things going on, 3 different coach sets, 1 mixed, a P-Way train, shunting demonstrations, Taunton tool & riding van open at various time, Railcar on Saturday evening and beer, what more could you ask for.

14. theblackwatch

theblackwatch New Member

Currently sat in the beer tent at didcot, a good selection of ales on offer and plenty going on. However, if anyone is coming to ride specifically behind 1338 be warned it is NOT doing any passenger trains. looks like another 400 mile drive will be required for me....

15. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Very pleasant afternoon in the sun with clearly a lot of effort going into adding the extra dimension - people in costume etc loading freight, locos being turned, coaled and watered in between interchanging the various trains. Trains seemed well loaded but the site never seems to feel crowded!

Anyone got any aftersun!

16. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Enjoyable day,but thankfully 1338 wasn't required.

Several who needed 1338 were not at all happy.
    Would have thought it wouldn't be two difficult to have given it atleast one brach passenger run during each day,especially considering its looming boiler certificate expiry.

There again,when two guards were seen whistling trains off whilst passengers were on the platform only feet behind them ,next to an open door,perhaps it was....

17. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Personally i really enjoyed the event , made all the better for the good weather and there was plenty going on to keep my two year old enthralled. He particularly like the Auto coach and we had no end of rides on there

I think Didcot deserves congrtaulations for trying something different , getting the crane out with 3738 looked great and 1338 just shunting a few wagons was perfect . Any plans to rebuild a GWR goods shed at all ?

if you want something to do this weekend then give it a whirl

our only downside was the loss of our camera so if anyone found one yestreday pm me please

18. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

One of the leaflets on developments at Didcot I picked up a couple of years back mentioned plans for a good shed, as well as a Broad Gauge engine/carriage shed and Railmotor shed

19. Kerosene Castle

If the sight of the 13 in steam, shunting wagons (as it was designed to do) reallllly wasn't enough, and if you realllllly wanted a trip with the 13, and the previous 9 3/4 years realllllly wasn't enough time in which to get one, then I'm sure a quick word with the footplate crew & duty manager would no doubt have seen you provided with a footplate pass. Most of us don't bite... well, at least those we had on the 53 are still living (I think). Or alternatively you could just go on an internet forum and moan.

Good event though, lets hope we have another before too long. 3650 on the P-Way train looked brilliant, that's the sort of thing we should be about.

Thanks are due to John Plant, Mark Werrell etc for making it happen.

Ciaran (still suffering from puttee itch!)

20. Kerosene Castle

Not sure if a goods shed is still on the cards, then again I haven't seen the plans for a while - if it's in a leaflet then perhaps it is.

I for one would certainly prefer to see a decent goods yard in centre sidings, I think it could provide a lot more operational and public interest than just shuttling up and down 8 road. Especially if you have people in appropriate costume working around it, potential for a mini Beamish/Black Country Museum kind of set up.