If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Diesel tours

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by MellishR, Jul 10, 2015.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

On 1st July TorbayTrains started a thread about a trip with Alycidon, in the "What's Going On" section http://www.national-preservation.com/threads/d9009-alycidon-derby-kingswear-04-07-15.520249/ . It got moved to the Diesel & Electric Traction section, on the idea that What's Going On is generally for steam trips. I contacted one of the Mods, suggesting that either "What's Going on" should include all main line tours, regardless of the traction, or its title should be changed to "Steam tours".

I have been on a few diesel-hauled tours and, not seeing them in "What's Going on", I had assumed that no-one was interested in discussing them.

For steam traction there is a clear split in principle between discussions about the trips and discussions about the locos, although the boundary is inevitably woolly. I suggested that the same should apply to diesels.

Anyway, following a discussion among the Mods, I have been informed of their decision: that there's nothing to stop diesel tours going here in "What's Going on", with perhaps some uncertainty whether to make a distinction between heritage diesel and other stuff like the regular Class 67 activities by UKRT. View numbers will tell whether there is wider demand and/or whether this section could do with being split between steam and diesel/electric simply on a volume basis.

Robbo likes this.
  2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As long at the title of the thread makes it clear what the traction is expected to be there should be no problem with this at all, in fact it has never been stipulated that "What's Going On" was only for steam.

3. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

Wouldn't mind doing a trip with a set of Vac's up the West Coast Mainline from Crewe to Glasgow.

4. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Peak & MK1/2's from Temple Meads to Plymouth anyone?

Moylesy98 likes this.
  5. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Excellent, I'll post a lovely long video of the next SWT class 159 sprinter to Swanage.

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Don't push your luck....;)...

7. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

Now a Peak would be a sight to behold on the mainline as one of those hasn't been seen for a few years now, wasn't there one on the mainline but it got withdrawn due to not having modern mainline equipment fitted. Class 50's are what I would like to see as although there are 2 out they arent working charters and Exeter & Defiance I believe are both undergoing overhaul with Exeter requiring I believe a new power unit after a flashover incident in 2012 during a railtour on approach to Bristol.