If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Diesels on steam tours

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by stepney60, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: September 5th Exeter Cathedrals Express changed again.... to 30th October!

There is a simple solution to this problem just do what BR did and do not run any steam hauled charters from mid October to the end of November.

2. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Re: 71000 DUKE OF GLOUCESTER ON THE V.S.O.E

dp266, I wish I could emigrate to the same planet that you live on. Where everything on the railway worked perfectly. Steam engines don't break down or fail, rail conditions are always perfect and tour operators have the gift of being able to see the future.
    As for tour operators not telling passengers that there is a risk......how many times do you need telling READ THE T&C's.
    And whilst I'm at it, instead of incessantly banging on about your perceived tour promoters underhand and at times illegal selling of tours, how about coming up with some constructive ideas about how to improve the product.
    Also notice that although I have goes at people in the industry I'm not afraid to let people on here know my real name or where my allegiances lie.

3. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management

A simple line in the tour description - for operational reasons it may be necessary for the tour to be assisted by a heritage diesel.

As with all things in life, the most sensible solution is the most simple.

4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Three direct snips: firstly from Palace Gates' post #70, "I understand that it was working during part of the day"; secondly from Bob Meanley's post #91, "On the return from Carlisle, the diesel locomotive was not working - period."; and finally from RalphW's post#115 of "The Pride of Swindon" thread, "It was running in 'first notch' which was explained to me as follows. In first notch a 47 running light might eventually get up to 25mph but on a 1:100 climb might reach 20 mph maximum. It would not start with any load at that setting. So although it's engine was working, and whilst it was taking some of it's own load, it would not be giving any assistance whatsoever."

I reconcile the contradictory reports (and there are further posts to which reference could be made) by concluding that over the S&C diesel assistance was provided on the outward journey, but not the return. To Bob Meanley - Is that right?

5. dp266

Project Management
    2010 Tours

And a 47 on the back? Sorry guys couldn't resist - take it in the spirit...

6. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Re: 2010 Steam Tours

Given the reaction to some of your views elsewhere, I'm not sure that comment will help your cause.

7. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.

And we wonder why people of note leave this forum or even refuse to join when you come up with such a purile remark, it may be in jest to you, but to most of us it's another confirmation of how infantile some members can be.

8. dp266

Project Management

Oh get a life!!!!

9. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

10. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I wholly agree. However, I reserve the right (such as it is) to respond to unfair and intemperate personal attacks!

11. dp266

Project Management

One reason - HONESTY. Life has taught me that honesty is always the best policy. The truth can never leave you exposed.

12. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired

I assume you are a mature adult, surely you have enough intelligence to take that as read, it's common sense.
    You say that you take between 2 and 6 places in Premier Dining but not any more? and an inclusion of a one line sentence would solve YOUR problem? That's petulance in my opinion

13. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Oh give it up.

We all know diesel assistance is a risk whether its in the T&C's or in huge capital letters next to the name of the tour, it doesnt make any real difference to people here.

...and what about the few non-enthusiasts who dont realise that old steam loco's on the modern railway might sometimes require it? Well im afraid its just one of many issues such as the late delivery of timings by NR/derailments/delays/change of route/SPAD's/loco failures/unavailability of crew etc.

All these problems happen and all can spoil an ordinary passengers day out as much, if not a lot more so than having a diesel helping at the back and some happen more reguarly to. Do you really think an 'honest' railtour company needs to be loud and clear about every one in the tour description?

Chris

14. dp266

Project Management

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I will not book on tours in the season where a box is a risk. My choice. I know others who will do the same, some have said so on this forum. My bucket reseach yesterday showed 80% of non enthusiasts would feel cheated - a quote by more than one person and quite a strong word. Those who have not booked on one of these do not take the potential of a box as read because the ad clearly states a steam hauled tour so it solves anyones problem.

15. sowerbylad

sowerbylad Guest

Post removed by sowerbylad as not relevant to 71000 or VOSE.

16. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I fully agree with sticking this out of the way in the existing thread - with people just restating what they've said before without really addressing the points raised i dont see where debating this can go...
    Chris

17. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

The spirit of all your other posts on that subject? No thanks.

18. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Ok, this thread is now closed and read only. The last few pages may seem a bit of a mix up but each post contains a seperate heading as to what thread it was originally moved from.

This will allow members to use this thread for reference if needed.

Those wishing to continue to debate diesels on steam tours can do so here:-

http://railways.national-preservation.com/showthread.php/27457-Steam-Tours-And-Diesels

If you feel that any of the moved posts are really relevant to the thread they were moved from report the said post in this thread and the moderators will look into it and decide if it should be moved again.

Thanks, Neil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.