If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dominion of Canada and Potential Disposal Story/Rumour

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 242A1, Oct 15, 2018.

1. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Is it April 1st yet....

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  2. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    oddsocks, damianrhysmoore and jnc like this.
  3. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I think it is specified in Locomotives Of The LNER vol 2A, which also explains how the notes differ between genuine Canadian ones and those made under licence in Britain.

Going a bit more on topic, from memory I believe - off the top of my head - that the same book states that Dominion of Canada had a genuine Canadian whistle and Dominion of New Zealand had a genuine NZ one; but that both disappeared, stolen, from Boston Lodge over Christmas 1960-something - my poor memory fails me at that point, and I don't have the book to hand.

Incidentally - I assume most of you already know this one - the reason the A4s had chime whistles was that J E P Howey was a fan of Canadian railways and had sufficient contacts with Canadian National to ensure that his standard "commuter route" between New Romney and Melbourne (where his wealth was founded) was via rail across Canada complete with footplate pass. He obtained chime whistles for the RHDR, where Gresley heard them and liked them. (I think John Snell's book on the RHDR has photos of Howey, Gresley and the then Duke of York, George VI, sharing a loco together, although I might be conflating two photos in my head)

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  4. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Correct on your first point about the whistle notes.
    The two whistles were stolen over Christmas 1963.

Forestpines likes this.
  5. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    No I do not currently volunteer
    But there's no room to rhumba in a sports car!!

6. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    A mate once had a harmonica that blew a note akin to an A4 while we sprinted underpass for passengers in Doncaster station

7. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    One final bit of music nerdism (found whilst I was trying to work out what the frequency difference of a true b# and c might be...and I wonder why the time for my trip to the gym evaporated again today)...Unless this is major coincidence it appears that A4 is the reference point for levels of pitch https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

Miff likes this.
  8. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

I had put a smiley at the end of my post, which I typed on my phone which did not transfer onto the text. So, I understand the misunderstanding. ;)

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  9. I didn't know it was back from the loan in Canada. That's good news. Next time I'm in Londonshire, to Hendon I shall go

I have to say that seeing Simon Thompson, sorry Martin, having one of his epic fits of outrage in precisely the same way he does when taking umbrage at something someone said (and he's probably misinterpreted) about Edward Martin, sorry Thompson - indeed exactly as Tom noted happens in point 3 of his list - produced in me an equally epic tea/screen interface moment :)

The Black Hat likes this.
  10. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    jnc likes this.
  11. For us musicians, concert pitch (as A 440Hz is known) isn't musical 'nerdism' by any means. It's the fundamental pitch we tune to which ensures our efforts don't (or at least don't always) sound like a bunch of alley cats fighting in a sack :)

When tuning up, I'm sure it takes a, um, 'special' (and numerically miniscule) breed of musician for it to even cross their minds that the alpha-numeric notation of concert pitch happens to coincide with that of a class of LNER steam locomotive! I wonder if any think "That's the road from London to the west"? ;-)

12. Thanks. So do I :)

13. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Is this entirely necessary given I have apologised to the gentleman in question several days ago?

I’m unsure of what I personally did to you that invokes your commentary on me but it is noticeable that you single me out for comment rather more than is fair or necessary.

ross, oddsocks, Spamcan81 and 3 others like this.
  14. S.A.C. Martin

Just a further post. I looked to post a PM to DisusedBranch in order to extend an olive branch and talk out some issues. However I am blocked from messaging the user in question.

I would still be happy to do the above, in future, if the user is amenable.

On reflection of my posts on Nat Pres, there’s been times where I have been passionate, high temp in my responses - robust perhaps - and in a year where there’s been enough negativity in my life - adding to it myself does no one any good least of all myself.

I intend to cut back my posting to just updates on specific topics I’m involved in and will leave it at that in future.

Best wishes.

Simon

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Whilst we've disagreed strongly over Edward Thompson, it will be a sad day when you limit your postings. Some people take umbrage very easily and there's not a lot one can do about that. If the gentleman in question is of that type and you've offered an olive branch then I think you've done all you can. Don't let that interfere with your participation on this forum.

16. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

17. S.A.C. Martin

Whilst that’s very kind, I think I can be man enough to admit there’s times where I should have backed away from the keyboard and said “enough”.

I’ll not derail this thread further other than to encourage the whimsy of the musical side of this thread be turned into a thread itself. Locomotive whistles and their tones fascinating to me, despite being virtually tone deaf!

(May I say as a side note, I always enjoyed our more robust exchanges on the ET thread as there is always merit in getting the opposite side of the debate and being able to know a little more of the passion for Gresley from other sources).

The Black Hat likes this.
  18. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Well-Known Member

Librarian
    Yep, I agree with the people above... Please don't cut back or leave - I think many people on here welcome your lively debates, however robust they may be. The forum would definitely be the poorer without your presence.

Richard.

19. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the above, Simon. Keep posting, my friend :)

20. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    A robust defence of Thompson it matched by a blind defence of Tornado. However, the forum is a loss when characters can't say what they like or stuff that will jolt others into a response. I often light the blue touch paper, or play devils advocate, but in the end we all end up sharing a platform to discuss our interests.

Maybe you dont need to have the last word, but that doesnt mean you need to go, as the place would be a loss for your contributions and academic opinion on things that you like, as much as others enjoy their topics.

Chin up, move on..