If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dorset Coast Express, July - August 2011

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That part's not odd, given that Tangmere was to provide banking assistance to either Dorchester South or Wareham. This is exactly what happened last year - the loco that worked the down train stayed attached to the country end, then uncoupled at Wareham and returned to Weymouth, ran round its support coach and proceeded to Yeovil.

Tangmere took water at Northam Junction (Southampton) so, provided she was filled up properly, that was probably enough for the rest of her duties. There are three climbs on the down run: to Sway, between Christchurch & Pokesdown, and from Dorchester to Bincombe tunnel, but none are as taxing as their equivalents in the up direction.

2. johnnew

johnnew Member

PRO The Stephenson Locomotive Soc.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've jut checked my photo folders from last year as my memory was that on some (all?) occasions the banker's support coach remained at Weymouth for collection by the light engine on the return trip from Wareham. That procedure is what was as booked yesterday, assuming the uksteam tours outline timings schedule was correct and it usually is with regard to Weymouth ecs movements. I didn't bother photoing the solo coach in Jersey Sidings last year BUT CAN confirm from my photos at least one instance when the coach brought down stayed at Weymouth as on that day it was by the Centenary Club and is one of the photos of the train departing (28 Jul 10 - Sir Lam' leading/Bittern banking). I therefore stand by my statement that the late detachment of Tangmere's support coach and the other movements yesterday which got left until very late in the proceedings, and by then were undoubtedly occurring too late for the train to get into the station for 16:35, was unusual. I also add I wasn't the only local regular watching from Alexander Bridge who knew something was up yesterday due to the lack of those ecs movements given the elapsed time / imminent booked departure time even if we didn't know what the cause was.

Edit - also on 31st July 10 - support coach was also left at Weymouth - Sir L was banking on that occasion and the last coach of the train was a green Mk 2 open (SK?) and NOT S L's support coach which was/is a maroon Mk 2 brake end (BSK?)

3. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

I only did this trip once last year (August) and am 90% sure that on that occasion Bittern's support coach remained attached to the rear of the train - which surprised me as I thought the normal practice was to leave it behind. Actually does anyone know why the banker remains attached as far as Wareham rather than be detached at Dorchester South? As far as I know the section from Dorchester to Wareham is on a downward gradient.

4. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Saw 70000 race through Winchfield on the fast line just after 21.10 last night. A pleasant surprise as these trips usually crawl through on the slow line.

5. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Can't really help with the history of the support coach issue as have not observed that part of the working, but can add the Tangers only went as far as Dorchester last night as reported on WRGEN. Can remember a couple of occasions when similar short distance banking was reported last year. Also the return working to Weymouth of the Banker is shown as a class 0 working , ie light engine, not class 5 with support coach.

Not sure why the banker comes through to Wareham unless that is more convenient from an operational/pathing point of view. This years workings show that if the Wool sand empties are working on a Tuesday then the banker comes through to Poole sidings following the main train to reverse and then back to Weymouth due to pathing issues. That could have quite a bearing if the water and coal levels are getting low, so be interesting to see if that happens.

Regarding the down trip, I understand that a water top up is scheduled for the Wareham stop.

DH

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

OK, interesting. On the couple of occassions that I and my colleagues videoed the DCE around Weymouth last year, the banker and its support coach remained at the country end, and the loco and coach returned to Weymouth from Wareham. I have a nice sequence of Sir Lamiel with a maroon Mk2 taken from Maiden Castle. All it shows is that there are (at least) two different ways of doing it, and the version shown on UKsteam.info is not always the version used on the day. I wonder what the deciding factors are? Length of train vs. length of Weymouth platform is probably the main one. I'd guess it's only worth the extra fuss of shunting the support coach when the train would otherwise be too long for the platform.

The important thing is that Britannia got back to London in one piece, albeit rather late. Let's hope her East Anglian runs go well and that she's back in Weymouth next Tuesday.

7. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Student (Civil Engineering) P-Way Engineer on Lond
    Did the Brit continue back to Waterloo as planned via Surbiton, or did it divert via Staines?

8. johnnew

johnnew Member

Interesting re the differences in working the support coach. I guess when I'm watching up the line I don't notice what coaches are in the formation, too busy watching the engines!

Thoughts - I guess the most likely reason is too short a time to realistically do it at Dorchester. Any delay at Dorchester in getting the banker off would result in loss of the path through the single track section to Moreton. Around then there is a down London - Weymouth crossed at Dorchester (16:49) and the next one due into Dorchester at 17:06 to be crossed at Moreton. Hold the steam service for that to clear and it could possibly be in the way of the following up SWT service due into Dorchester at 17:14. Also to add into the mix is the Bristol - Weymouth train through the junction around 16:58/9.

They don't use the run round loop at Wool any more so that makes Wareham the next port of call.

9. 6026 King John

Sounds like a reasonable explanation - thanks

10. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

I watched Tangers taking water at Wareham so it needed no further topping up at Weymouth. With a few miles of banking duties, then engine+coach to Yeovil, I suspect 34067 wouldn't need much more than a Ton to reach it's destination at the Steam Centre.
    Uncoupling at Dorchester may have been required due to the late departure from Weymouth. Had Wareham been used as scheduled then pathing problems might have ensued.
    70000 left with less than a full tender, due to delays at Weymouth, so needed a splash & dash at Southampton UGL.

11. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Thanks for that update Peter.

12. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Tangmere was detached at DCS becuase it had low water. 70000 was going to take train unassisted up the bank but with low coal it was agreed that Tangmere would bank as far as DCS even with a low water level in the tender.

13. johnnew

johnnew Member

I know not directly related to the steam tour, other than making the engine go on to Poole, but does anyone have the running times each way for the sand train between Wool and Dorchester and Wool to Eastleigh? I'm thinking that on one of the evenings this year as a change from my usual vantage points local to Weymouth I will drive out onto Winfrith Heath to photo both trains pass as I haven't taken many shots over the years on the heath section.

Edit = You can PM me of course if you don't want to broadcast them widely.

14. DH34105

DH34105 Member

John The sand workings are quite varied in their timings at the moment. It seems (having said that it won't happen!) that the normal Tuesday run down (6O49) is due at Poole just after 1600 and through Wool by 1620 and then to Dorchester to run round by 1720 ready to take first part of train back to Wool. As with the DCE the single line occupancy is an issue between Moreton and Dorchester. Tuesday run seems to be fairly punctual when it runs but the days can vary occasionally - sometimes a Monday down working - at moment there is a Thursday down empties run as well but that is running from Theale at moment and about 2 hours or so later down through Poole. 6M42 to Neasden is due away from Wool at 1500 on the day following the empties and that seems to be pretty regular on a Wednesday but the Friday time is often a lot later.
    HTH DH

15. 6026 King John

Can anyone confirm the outbound times for the DCE through the Southampton area? UK Steam shows the train at Eastleigh at 1133 then Southampton at 1146 with a water stop at Northam Jct in between. I would have thought that was physically impossible!

16. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not that my answer is going to help much, but I'd guess that the Northam Jct water stop is pencilled in as it's there as a just in case it needs it stop, otherwise it would have definite times rather than 11.xx wouldn't it? Also on my ticket from RTC it says the arrival time in Bournemouth is 12.16 (UKSteam says 12.46) so who knows?!?

17. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

A lot depends on what happens around Brockenhurst - but booked departure from Bournemouth is 12:51. Much depends on whether they slip the DCE through Brock before the stopper or after it. Has been through Branksome/Parkstone about 10 mins early on two occasions so far. 12:16 is, I guess, a typo for 12:46 (per UKSteam). Be there early just in case!

18. johnnew

johnnew Member

Thanks for the sand train info' DH. Typically something's cropped up taking out this afternoon/evening so I'll only get a chance to see/photo the Brit pass Lorton Lane or Dorchester Road bridges today inbound but flagged up, hopefully, for next week if UK steam shows Tangmere(?) running on l/e to Poole.

19. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Britannia running early again on down run - 1245 at top of Parkstne Bank
    Have just been told that the sand is due to run today John - as you say always happens
    DH

20. kevpotts

kevpotts New Member

Any idea of the return time for Poole? Mainline steam's times thro Bournemouth were out on the down train & I almost missed it!