If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Double Decker

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Maunsell man, Jul 15, 2014.

1. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    Esmond can reasonably be described as eccentric (not unusual among railway enthusiasts!) and is getting on, but he has been known to change his mind. He once told me that "those b-----s at Horstead Keynes will never get hold of my 01" but something persuaded him to change his mind. Perhaps it all depends on the kind of offer?

2. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    That was through a lot of negotiation through mutual acquaintances and some of the guys who were at Ashford as teenagers but went to HK later in life. I know many of them well and remember the story at the time. I also remember chatting informally to ELE as well who can be most amicable. The 01 was in the last chance saloon but was retrievable and useful as a machine. The DD isn't either unfortunately. It would need reskinning plus much structural repair, complete interior reconstruction and retrimming just to make it presentable. It isn't going to happen.

There is a mansell wheeled 6 wheel full brake behind the DD and a birdcage brake at HK. I seem to remember he had a Pullman as well. All are in poor condition now but many vintage vehicles are reconstructed if they are restored. Maybe their time will come

3. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor