If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

E1 at Cranmore

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Freshwater, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Freshwater

Freshwater New Member

Does anyone know if there is any prospect of the E1 being returned to steam?

2. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not in the forseeable future.

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Don't know who it belongs to, but I believe it needs a new boiler - which will not be cheap! Either the Bluebell or the IoWSR (or both) have tried to buy it in the past I think but both have been turned down. Realistically, either would probably be a better home for it, and the money reinvested in something that could be put in working order for the ESR with less effort, such as an Austerity.

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Well the IoWSR now have another austerity, Juno, and with two already plus the 2MT's i cant see they have any need for it. Perhaps a swop could be arranged, with 46447 thrown in too...

Chris

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Sad news. I was lucky enough to be able to see her in action shortly before she was withdrawn. How about a Steam Railway appeal?

6. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

I understood the locomotive was privately owned by several individuals; I believe all SR standard gauge appeals have been for National Collection locomotives.

No disrespect to any private locomotive owners, but from SR's point of view it has to make sense for any appeals to be done on such a basis, given that there are already enough accusations of favouritism to certain railways (not referring in this instance to the ESR) without conducting an active appeal for one railway.

7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Was it not owned by the Stephenson Locomotive Society at one time?

8. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

9. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

But 46447 is owned by the Ivatt Trust is it not ? in which case not up to be swapped

10. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Couldn't agree more, I dislike when private owners who clearly can't afford to restore such historical locomotives sit on them rather then negociate in the hope of a better outcome for all! Its a real pitty that a) the IoWSR lacks historical locomotives and b) the owner of the E1 would probably have more fun with something they can restore, rather then something way out of their price range!

Nevermind, I'll buy it!!

11. martin butler

martin, im sure Chris will correct me if i am wrong, but werent all of the Ivatt trusts locos handed over to the railway ? so infact 46447 could be viewed as being the property if the IOWSR , but im sure a loan agreement where by say each party overhauls each engine then gets 10 years from when they return to traffic and can arrange to swop at some stage for guest appearances elsewhere could be the way foreward, the ownership doesnt change ,but each becomes the responsibility of the loanie

12. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Everything's been brought down to the Island and there was a handover ceremony a little while back at Havenstreet, so presumably the IWSR are now in full ownership. There could be an agreement not to sell any of the collection, but i havent seen one mentioned.

Chris

13. W14

W14 Member

Writer and former business/railway manager
    Yes, the Ivatt Trust handed everything over to the IWSR last summer and, as far as I'm aware, the Trust has now been wound up.

14. martin butler

If that is, the case, does anyone know what the attitude would be inside the IOWSR to the loaning out of the ivatt 2 tender loco, in exchange for the E1.
    As far as i know they have no plans to restore it at havenstreet , and what about the people who own the E1, would they be prepared to do a deal, an enginenthat needs a new boiler, for one that might be in better condition, but not really wanted by IOW at the present moment.

15. Islander

Islander Member

Take a look at the IWSR's Strategic Vision document - link below. The Locomotives section on page 14 is of interest, particularly the 2nd and 4th sub paras. Like all such documents, read carefully. My view is that it does not lead to a definite conclusion that the Ivatt tender loco (46477) would be put forward as a swap for the E1 - does one 'adequately replace the operational resource' of the other? The loss/loan of an Ivatt would also lead to the reduction of the currently available spares pool by a third.

As mentioned earlier, the E1 is owned by a group of individuals and not the ESR. Overhaul of the E1 has made no progress for a number of years, so what difference would a loco swap make to it's owning group or the ESR?

Purchase of the E1 (by whatever interested party) may be a better option - what price a set of frames, wheels and motion? Under either current or future ownership, whoever completes the overhaul of the E1 will have to find somewhere around £100k for a new boiler. This will surely have an effect on the value of the 'bottom half' in the event that the current owning group decide that their disposal of the locomotive is the best way to achieve it's return to steam.

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/images/stories/docs/2010-pdfs/forwardplan.finaldraft.6-6-09.pdf

16. Spinner

Spinner Member

Public Servant
  17. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Shame this seems to be deadlocked. I, too, was lucky enough to see her during her spell in action on the ESR; think it was 1995 - Mendip Steam Dream? An E1 would be great on IoW, but failing that, it could probably be converted to an E1r 0-6-2T - some used to work from Barnstaple on mainly the Torrington-Halwill light railway. Given the developments at Torrington of late, there could be some future, Tarka Trail permitting.

Just tell me the right numbers for the National Lottery please.

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    It also went to the Bristol Harbour railway. Had a very enjoyable charter there that included some "rare track" shall we say.