If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Early Mid-Hants Memories

Discussion in 'Links' started by PolSteam, Jun 5, 2015.

1. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Retired, owner of Wickham type 17a TP57P
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We have been in business for over a month, and we have hundreds of pictures posted from before the line closed, up to 2000, more being posted daily.

This is a closed group, so anyone interested in joining will have to apply though our Facebook page, and wait for one of our 3 Admins to contact you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/925021707521081/

gwalkeriow likes this.
  2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

So why make it a closed Facebook page for? Don't see the point in having a closed Facebook page.

3. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    So they can choose who to let in?

savagethegoat likes this.
  4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Ultimately @PolSteam was hardly given the warmest welcome in the previous thread on Nat Pres on the same subject . It is now in a closed group on Facebook and it is the groups moderators prerogative as to who can see it

Have to say there is some interesting stuff on there

5. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Having a closed Facebook page may restrict the amount of people willing to contribute their photos and not everyone wants to join Facebook. I for one will never join Facebook. Reading the earlier thread about early days of the MHR had some great photos from the 70s and 80s.

6. savagethegoat

savagethegoat New Member

The approach seems to have resulted in the walk down memory lane that the thread on here was intended to be. I think it's fascinating to see that the early days of a preserved line can now be Historical in their own right!

I take the point about not everyone will want to join fb, but then again not everyone will want to join NP.

7. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Retired, owner of Wickham type 17a TP57P
    Hi Everyone.

After what happened here, there was no option but to control the site, so we did not attract Trolls. As a result we have hundreds of pictures that have mostly never been seen, or rarely posted, by the people there, with exchanges of memories, of people no longer with us. It's a totally friendly place, and we freely comment good and sometimes bad things that have happened.

We cover the years from the 1860's to the year 2000, but most to the posts are 1977 to 1990. We have a cut off so we don't get loads of pictures of last weekends trains! They can go on the MHR Facebook page.

So break out the slide and negative scanner, or that embarrassingly bad, but old VHS or 8mm video, and post it, for all to enjoy. A bit of 8mm colour film has even turned up, which is jerky, and faded, but a priceless trip back to 1976, near Itchen Abbas!

Just knock on the door, to get in.

gwalkeriow likes this.