If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Lancs Gala Oct 19/20.

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Spencer, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I must agree with these comments. I have no problems with 132 being out but double heading with 1501, what's that all about!?
    Why on earth you would double head 46223 or 61994 on 6 coaches or so beats me.
    Some very strange combinations which will look odd and a lot of un-necessary mileage/wear on the locos and a waste of coal at whatever it now costs.

Robert Heath No.6 likes this.
  2. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Well, the last two October galas were pretty much all solo workings. Each visitor has several turns by itself as well as in interesting combinations, so I'd say a good all round TT

3. cksteam

cksteam New Member

I've just returned form an eventful time at Irwell Vale today. Its fair to say the weather could have cleared up a bit earlier. But the engines all gave fine perfomances. Thanks to all involved once again. The trains all seemed busy so hopefully this ones pulled a bit more money in that the 68' event did.

Chris Kempster Photography - East Lancs Autumn Gala

4. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
  5. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Great visit on the Saturday, getting solo runs in with the Duchess, before moving on to the Super D and GW1501 on the afternoon.

Marquess also good on the first train from Rawtenstall through to Heywood.

Timetable was about 50+ late when we left, not sure why.

Many thanks to all involved for putting on a good gala, roll on 2014.

Best Regards

6. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

The Duchess stars at the East Lancs gala 19-20 October 2013

For only the second time in its history, the ELR welcomed a green Duchess to its metals, and inevitably it was the star of the Autumn steam gala. It was great to see this massive and beautiful machine on my 'home' railway, and to be able to get up close and personal. There was also time on the Saturday morning for a glimpse of the other six locos in the gala.

On the Sunday morning at 6 am the moon was shining brightly in a clear sky so I decided to head for Burrs where the Duchess was doing an early morning mini-charter with a train of vans. Then the clouds came in and ruined any chance of a decent photo. I have included one though, just to prove I was there.

32 photos are at http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com/p945764302

Peter, on a grey wet afternoon in Manchester
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com

7. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We did Saturday, started in the gloom at Summerseat. We thought things would go wrong from the off as 80080 scooted through to Ramsbottom on the parcels at 08.45 and it had to be back in Bury for a 09.35 departure, which turned up 15 mins late at Summerseat. The rest of the day slipped increasingly until by early afternoon everything was down by 50 mins. Then the shuttle ran out of sequence, and the latter one must have been cancelled as we didn't see it. The parcels turned up also out of sequence before the last passenger train and with 49395 instead of 61994. We left at that point, the rain had started and it went very dark, so I don't know if 46233 ran the last train. Good decision to go in view of the torrential rain and thunder than happened shortly after.
    Enjoyed the day thoroughly thanks to all the organisers etc, as said above the light could have picked up sooner, look forward to the January and February events if they run next year.

8. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Can confirm that the Duchess was only about 10 minutes behind 49395 - aided no doubt by cancellation of the shuttle and the running of the Parcels in its right path.

9. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello,

sorry for the late reply. I only recently edited my photographs.

Yes, 46233 ran the last train to Rawtenstall and back to Bury 50 minutes late in torrential rain which had eased by the time the train arrived at Rawtenstall. The light made photography very interesting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind regards

Christoph

10. cksteam

cksteam New Member

Christoph, thanks for sharing. Those shots could be 50 years ago .... timeless