If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Eastleigh 100 line up of steam trains

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by LN850, Mar 1, 2009.

1. swanage steve

swanage steve New Member

Guard
    [​IMG]

At Holton Heath

2. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is there a confirmed list of locos of all types yet? I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Will there be 10 engines or 20-odd?

3. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Holes bay today,for anybody who is interested.
    Quite a gallery formed!

4. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Nice ones, Beaker! Good to see 53 and the Queen Mary brake van together again. Reminds me of the Gerry Daniels era at Salisbury. Love the Sunshine Lettering, too!

Looks like I've chosen the wet day (Monday) to visit the Works. Hey-ho!

5. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

even though the locos are only suppossed to be in light steam, i wouldnt be surprissed if the wcrc 37s found themselves being pushed at some stage, the temptation not to open the regulator, just that little bit must have been hard to resist do the engines being moved in steam all have to have had their boilers passed for operation on the mainline? or if its been restored to mt276, or what ever has replaced it, is that enough i know that 850 had a mainline boiler ticket, but what about the swanage railway locos?

6. Spamcan55

Spamcan55 New Member

Ex-Spamcan 55
    Merely curious, but what speed was the MHR convoy being dragged at? Were the rods dropped on the dead locos? I'm thinking about lubrication (and not just because its Friday night!). I assume the Swanage locos were in steam for lubrication purposes, regardless of main line certification.

7. rsfaithfull

rsfaithfull Member

50mph max. The con rods were removed from 35005 & 41312. 30850 was in steam for lubrication purposes to enable the hydrostat to work and keep a breath of steam on.

8. Wayne

Wayne New Member

There certainly were plenty of people around at Eastleigh to to see the various moves to bring loco's too the open day. However how many people realised that a stock move, amongst these, into the depot was a sad event?
    Whilst I will enjoy driving Clan Line tomorrow morning, like I always do. Todays (Fridays) job was an alltogether somber turn of duty. At 1225 I pulled the last remaining stock out of Old Oak Common depot. 47799 plus seven coaches, hauled by 66039. All that was left at Old Oak was a coach waiting to go away by road. 47799 was the last loco in the 'factory', after pulling her out at 0755, I went back into the now empty building. I had the place to myself, just an empty shell, another bit of railway history came to an end. I was at Old Oak for around five hours and wandered round for a while. The carraige sidings just an empty wasteland. Just like the factory, the carraige sheds were vast empty echo boxes. I'm a Southern man through and through, but I'm a railway man as well. Old Oak is a Western depot but it doesn't matter, I worked the last stock out, that will live with me for a long time. Ok the First Great Western depot is still there, as is the Heathrow express Depot. But it was R.I.P. to the Loco shed. On the weekend of Eastleighs celebrations, Old Oak died.
    Wayne Thompson, DBS steam driver.

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

One point with the towed loco's the boiler are a bit of an irrelevence if not under power but would the chassis need to be up to MT276 standard to be towed mainline ?.

10. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i should imagine that its just a case of a ftr and uat , the reason i quiried boiler certification, was going back to the woking 150 the mid hants wanted to send swanage, but insisted that it be in light steam , for lubrication perposes, but because it was not a main line listed engine, was not allowed to be towed in light steam over railtrack metals

11. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

The webcast is now up and running.

(For a bigger picture, right click on the image, go down the menu to 'zoom' and select full screen)

Chris

12. Spamcan55

Spamcan55 New Member

Ex-Spamcan 55
    <50mph max. The con rods were removed from 35005 & 41312>

Thanks for that info RSF. Overnight I wondered if it was actually necessary with the mechanical lubricators fitted to those two locos, but reckoned it would be best to be safer than sorry.

13. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Great day out with lots to see and if you like Hornby 00 and have some spare cash on you then you shouldn’t be disappointed. Most sale stands have a good range of 00 & N gauge for sale. Great to see three Bulleids together but I hear there was going to be a big move around of locos tonight? There seemed to be lot of people that didn’t buy tickets in advance I’m not sure if they all got in to the open day.

14. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    I had an excellent day out at the event with My Father (it brought back many memories for him of several visits he made in Steam days) and our friend. The day started at Winchfield when just after we arrived to catch a service to Basingstoke 35028 stormed through with her railtour. A wonderful start to the day! On to Basingstoke where there were a lot of people catching our train to Eastleigh for the open Day. Eastleigh station was very busy and a short stoll along the road took us to the queue over the bridge. This caused headaches for the stewards throughout the day as they didn't want anyone getting squashed. And so to the works. A very impressive display of loco's and a great selection of stalls made our day. We were looking around the stalls for 2 hours there was so much to see. The "hostess" of the MHR stand in particular caught my eye as she did for many other men......Ahem! We also saw 35028 passing the site on her way to servicing and departing later on the return leg and 70013 on her tour to Poole pounding out of the station. On the way home just after getting off the train at Winchfield the return leg of 70013's tour was right behind the service we had alighted from and passed through with a very smoky class 47 in charge.
    Yesterday will go down as one of my most memorable railway experiences ever. A very big thank you to everyone involved for a cracking event. =D> =D> =D> =D>

I haven't had a chance to go through the pictures I took. I will put up a select few if I get time.

15. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

16. CraigS

CraigS Member

17. George A

George A New Member

college student
    I went yesturday (I went on the dorset coast express with Cromwell) and was very impressed, as wee were there till the end it was much easier to take photos of the line up of locos towards the end when not so many people were about, cromwell performed very well on the trip btw :)

18. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I too noticed the attraction (pun intended!) of the MHR stand, although she looked a bit bored when I wandered past... Ahem, anyway, a fantastic day out, kicked off with passing 70013 at Worting Junction, then seeing her again at Eastleigh. It was great to see that so many people turned up, and the chaps on the various footplates were VERY friendly, and were keen to share their reminiscences of the preservation era. I wish I had taken £100 with me, as the trade stands were brimming with goodies... My only minor qualm was that I like many others went to see 35028 depart from Eastleigh, and the stewards didn't let anyone re-enter after 4PM. I realise that they wanted to empty the site by 5PM, but it seemed a bit draconian for my liking, as I had already had a ticket. Also those idiots who trespassed onto Network Rail property by the works offices deserved a damn good trashing. Thank goodness there was a prompt response by the authorities. An interesting develpment was the derailment in the aggregates yard north of Eastleigh Station. All in all though, well worth the entrance fee, and happy birthday Eastleigh works! (And RIP Old Oak Common MPD).

19. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

20. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Just a quick warning for anyone visiting Eastleigh 100 by car on Monday.

I've heard from someone who was at Eastleigh 100 today that the Park & Ride car park at Lakeside may not be used on Monday. There have been problems with access to the field being used as the car park. Eastleigh Civic Offices car park and on road Chickenhall Lane on street parking will be available.

Regards, Neil

PS Remember to take a light weight waterproof tomorrow, the local weatherforecast has suggested showers, perhaps heavy in the afternoon.