If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Eastleigh 100 line up of steam trains

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by LN850, Mar 1, 2009.

1. 73096

73096 Member

At least theres another flattop attending?

2. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

The failure of 73096 is unfortunate, but Ivatt 41312 could be there instead of 34007. The up-to-date position will be posted on the website later next week.

We also have options on 2 other Bulleid Pacifics and are awaiting cost of movement to Eastleigh before deciding whether to go for one or both. This could also hinge on advance ticket sales, so if you are going, buy your tickets sooner rather than later as preference will be to advance ticket holders over cash payers on the day, should there be any risk of overcrowding.

You wont want to make the effort and find you cant get in, would you?

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Will there be any displays on what Eastleigh produced during the Second World War? It would add educational justification to my trip, as I'm doing a dissertation on the Southern Railway at War...

4. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

5. 73096

73096 Member

heard today that 41312 is attending instead of 34007 but then again nothing official as of yet

6. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

That could be very true considering that the MHR doesn't have a full operating fleet at the moment??

Considering 60019 and 850 are on standby for mainline dutues and with only 34007 as far as I can see as the main operational loco on the Midhants??

But hey we have some good locos coming out as well as going into the workshop very soon.....

7. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    How is 850 a standby for mainline duties?

I was under the impression she needed to do a test run before being allowed to haul mainline excursions again...

With 34007 now staying i would think both her and 60019 will be running the services during the Eastleigh event.

8. 34007

Yep I heard 850 needs to do a test run but is planned for a couple of months time? And then 850 will be limited for operation at the MHR although berthed there...??

9. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Damn! Blast! I can only make the Saturday. This will be the second time that I've missed the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight during a railway-based event, although this is only 'potentially' missed. I think it is possible to ask the RAF to divert the flightpath over a certain area near to where they are flying, but I'm not entirely sure...

10. 73096

73096 Member

Where do you get your information from as a great number of your posts are speculation and uninformed? 850 won't be doing a mainline test run until the autumn.

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That's my information, too. Summer on the MHR then preparations for some mainline runs in the Autumn, all being well. Certainly, that's what ERPS members were told when 850 first went to Ropley, and I don't think anything has changed in the mean time.

"34007" mentioned that Bittern would not be doing much on the MHR, too, but I think that's equally ill-informed. This might be a little out-of-date, but I understand Bittern does not have much main-line work booked at the moment, and so will be seeing quite a lot of use on the MHR.

[wild speculation mode=ON]I'm rather hoping 850 will work a few of the Steam Dreams Christmas tours, such as Waterloo - Salisbury - Yeovil J. [wild speculation mode=OFF]

Anyway, this is wandering rather a long way from the thread topic...

12. 34007

Bittern from what I can tell is next planned for mainline use on the 16th May - Obviously 30850 is unavailable - So why the long wait for her mainline test run?

13. 73096

73096 Member

Just a quick post to round this particular spin off on, if you read in a recent steam railway colin chambers said along the lines of with 2 other mainline A4's that can offer at cheaper prices she will be running on MHR quite a bit and if shes still revenue earning thats all the owner cares about surely?

14. 34007

Surely Bittern can't get the revenue back from the overhaul though for being in steam at the MHR? Surely more steamings on the Mainline is what is required to pay for the overhaul she has had and future overhaul's?

15. 73096

73096 Member

Maybe but running on the MHR is better than no running and maybe it gets into the issue of more running on mhr less work required due to the speed restriction

16. 34007

[/quote]Maybe but running on the MHR is better than no running and maybe it gets into the issue of more running on mhr less work required due to the speed restriction[/quote]

You may have a point... But Bittern and her owner wants her to go more mainline to get the revenue back. But I think we should discuss this somewhere else as this is aimed at the Eastleigh 100 - Which i am hoping to be there for.... I hope it's like the woking one??

17. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Did the owner tell you this personally?

Because surely 34046 will eventually venture onto the mainline. So he would have two main line operational locos. If he wanted Bittern to be working tour after tour then i would have thought more work would have been found for her. You seem to be talking as though you are in the know of everything these days, when in reality they seem like guesses which are written as statements. :-k

18. 34007

Not at all Kieran - But think about it - Cost of the overhauls and keeping locos running..... :-k

19. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

Guys can we please go back to the topic of this thread. If you want to discuss the workings at MHR may I suggest you start a new thread.

20. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Thank you Ann - and I thought this forum wasn't infiltrated by uk.railway members who like hijacking threads....

I am sure most of you will realise that when asking for locos from heritage lines, it is all dependent on availability.

The Mid-Hants are being very helpful, and having been informed that Wadebridge has to remain at the line to work service trains (which is fully understandable) they have offered the Ivatt 2MT which is also appropriate to Eastleigh.

In addition, we've added Clan Line and Oliver Cromwell to the original line-up, and if ticket sales continue at the rate they are, then and additional steam loco could be considered. As I have mentioned before, it is pointless paying £7-10k to move a loco on a low-loader, thus depriving the charities of vital funding.

On the diesel side, Foster Yeoman/Aggregate Industries/Mendip Rail have promised two Class 59s, there will be a pair of Colas 47s on site, two Class 50s inclucing 50035 which be rededicated Ark Royal (the aircraft carrier is in dry dock in Portsmouth, so we hope some of the ship's company attend), several Class 73s including the last one to be built at Eastleigh - which is also the last loco the works produced. There will be 20s, a 26, 33s, 37s, a 45, 55022 Royal Scots Grey, 60074, and 66s, as well as slam-door Southern Region EMUs.

What I will be announcing next week is a 'Money Can't Buy' Auction where the lots include three nameplates including 'Eastleigh Depot', an original SR Totem, a can ride on the ECML, a diesel driving course on a 37/9, and loads more.

As regards tickets, Saturday is filling up, and we may soon have to restrict ticket sales to Sunday or Monday, but you are OK for a few weeks yet.