If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Eastleigh 100 line up of steam trains

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by LN850, Mar 1, 2009.

1. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Technically, it's not a railway-based event as Beaulieu is the national motor museum, indeed I don't think they've had a railway exhibit since Stowe left. There is a slight problem which has occurred to me however, which is that the planes coming into Southampton Airport fly basically right over the works, which might cause problems for getting the BBMF involved.

2. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    With my limited knowledge of Air Traffic procedures, I would guess that they could do a fly through across Eastleigh and along the runway line at Southampton Airport.

Has anybody in the organising team asked the RAF Events Team whether this would be possible? Mind you, they might be flying out of Southampton Airport for the display at Beaulieu anyway...

Regards,

Dan

3. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

This is the current plan for the weekend BBMF. It doesn't specifically mention Eastleigh but if it does Beaulieu to Southend it will follow a flight path very close.

23 May 09 Gotherington Display
    Santa POD Flypast
    East Kirkby Flypast
    Cadwell Park Flypast
    Wortley Hall Flypast
    East Lancs Railway Flypast
    Scarborough Flypast

24 May 09 Thurleigh Flypast
    Wratting Flypast
    Leiston Flypast
    Woodridge Flypast
    Southend Display
    Santa POD Flypast
    Crofton (Wilts) Flypast
    Beaulieu Display
    Ashby Canal Flypast
    Sacarborough Flypast
    Cadwell park Flypast
    East Kirkby Flypast

25 May 09 Falmouth Flypast
    Beaulieu Display
    Southend Display
    Sharnbrook Flypast
    Santa POD Flypast
    Bletchley Flypast
    East Kirkby Display
    Tumby Moorside Flypast
    Scarborough Display
    Ashby Canal Flypast
    Rolleston Flypast
    Corbridge Display
    Cadwell Park Flypast

4. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Yes they have been asked if they can fly over the event site on one or both of the days, and a reply is awaited.

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Talk about being on the ball... Top marks for asking the BBMF, regardless of the outcome!

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Does anyone know how much of the complex will be open to the general public.

7. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

A very good point 73129. Being that it is Eastleigh and 3rd rail. then surely bounderies/barriers will be in place except for the static locos?

8. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I would have thought that the current supply to the 3rd rails would have been switched off for the event, except where it is needed to perhaps power rolling stock like the slam-door units.

Regards,

Dan

9. 34007

True - But there will surely be a boundary in place to the public and not let eeryone roam free around the site to view the locos and stock?

Obviously times are differne to when I was young and used to roam around Open Days at Eastleight etc... I think the last one I went to eastleigh must have been 1983 or there abouts?

10. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Anyone going by car will need to park at council offices in Leigh Road or Chickenhall Lane off Bishopstoke Road. From there they can hop on to a vintage bus for a ride to the entrance.

11. 34007

How about once you get of the train from Eastleigh or Southampton Parkway? Is there a Bus service going to it from there?

12. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's about a 10 minute walk from Eastleigh station to the works entrance. About 20 minutes walk from Southampton Parkway. There is an hourly bus service from Parkway (Black Velvet "A") which passes Cambell Road steps. Just north of the Airport station is the turning leading to Eastleigh Lakeside Railway which is only a few minutes walk from the main road.

Parking in the town is pay and display on Saturdays and free on Sundays and Bank holidays. There is a large multi story car park opposite the station.

Regards, Neil

13. 34007

I think I might take the train if I can make it - But surely there must be a service in operation on the days to take you to the site?

14. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Nothing on the Eastleigh 100 web site about a shuttle service into the site.

I know the works entrance is "rare track" but I don't think that justifies running a shuttle for about 400 yards. For 98 years the employees of the loco works walked down Southampton Road from the station. For many years local train services were planned to match the clocking on and off times in the works.

Lets just leave it that it would be extremely expensive to organise and operate a shuttle between Eastleigh station and the works. The aim of the open day is to raise funds for various worthwhile charities, not to fuel the money - go - round of arranging and authorising special passenger movements. Please pm me if you want a more detailed (and mind numbingly boring) answer.

Regards Neil

15. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Just had a cursory glance at the Southern Locomotives Ltd. March news page, and noticed that "Eddystone was originally penciled in to attend the Eastleigh event but will now be staying at Swanage to cover operational requirements on the Swanage Railway." I suppose its the case that they need three locomotives to cover the timetable, a) in case of failure, and b) driver experience would be curtailed if three Swanage locomotives are at Eastleigh. Otherwise there would have been just 80078 and possibly 6695 if it gets back from the WSR by May. Shame, but I can see where they are coming from, and I did have private misgivings about the worrying number of steam locomotives going from Swanage to Eastleigh on a bank holiday weekend.

16. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I doubt it would be worth putting a bus on, as others have said you can walk it in 10 minutes.

17. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    6695 will be back by may

18. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

The organisers have been informed by Southern Locomotives 34028 Eddystone will be there.

As for buses, there will be a shuttle bus covering Eastleigh council offices (close to M3 jct 13) where there is FREE parking all during the event, Chickenhall Lane (off Bishopstoke Road) where parking is again free, Eastleigh station, the event site, Southampton Airport Parkway, and return via Eastleigh Lakeside Miniature Railway entrance.

Buses should be some old Bristols, Sat & Sun, and whatever Friends of King Alfred provide on the Monday.

Can I repeat that there will be no public parking onsite, blue badge holders only who need to advise the organisers in advance - admin@eastleigh100.com

Council pay & display car parks are chargeable Saturday, free Sunday/Monday.

Finally, anyone thinking of booking, should consider Sunday or Monday as Saturday is heading for a sellout.

19. 34007

is it a straight forward walk to the site?

20. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Yes, you put one foot in front of the other, same as most other walks. :smt002