If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway: Countdown to Opening on 8th April"

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Chris A, Oct 7, 2010.

1. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Re: Ecclesborne Valley Railway, The Dash To Duffield!

Wow - a gravel trap with a choice of routes into it. Very posh!

So is this route linked to the other platform roads at the other end of the station?

Richard

2. nferguso_wyvern

nferguso_wyvern New Member

Vice Chairman
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Yes. There is a connection in the yard and I shall upload an image to show you how it all fits together.

3. Chris A

Chris A New Member

Thanks Neil for answering my questions, better than I might have been able to.

In answer to the possibility of an online shop, it used to run, but became difficult to operate with volunteers only. When the railway has more money, this is something that could be explored.

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays

British Coal did some extensive testing of sand/gravel traps in the 1990's. Gravel is far better than sand for this and it was found that it worked far better if there were no rails and the gravel was effectively contained in a 'U' shaped steel channel as it allowed the wheels to sink deeper and effectively guided the wheels. I have some video footage of the trials, somewhere. Quite spectacular watching a rake of vehicles running away down a 1 in 15 and coming to a fairly quick halt once they hit the gravel.

5. nferguso_wyvern

Vice Chairman

Would love to see it! My only other exposure to sand drags was at Valehouse on the Woodhead route where there was a set of interlaced drags on the down goods loop between there and Hadfield.

6. nferguso_wyvern

Vice Chairman

Take a look at this:
    [​IMG]
    http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=1fmc70&noresize=1&nostamp=1&quality=80

From left to right, the Ravenstor branch is climbing up in the distance. Note the ‘ladder ‘ of connections leading from the tracks in the foreground. There are then two lines into our maintenance facility which is located on the site of the former engine shed. The line containing the carriage, tank wagon and brake van is another siding which leads forward over a double slip down to a short bay platform at the station. There are two ‘main lines’: we shall come back to those. Then, note the three-way point to the right: this leads to three sidings including (on the right) a road/rail interface point in the car park. Finally, on the extreme right is our narrow gauge railway which runs the length of the yard.
    The main lines: Wirksworth was intended originally to be a through station between Derby and Manchester; the whole line being built as a tactic by the Midland Railway. Reverse that single slip in the foreground and does anybody see a classic Midland railway through station layout or is it just me?

7. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer

Thanks for the info.

Your photo didn't display in my browser at first either, but now it's working fine. Weird!

Richard

8. martinr1

martinr1 New Member

Lots of volunteers on site today making the Dash to Duffield a reality. "The Duke" is now on display at Platform 1 and the energy and enterprise in the EVR rather unique take on Santa Specials approaches its final weekend. Looking forward to next year with connections to London, Paris and Brussels.

9. nferguso_wyvern

Vice Chairman

Just before the snow comes back, viewers might be interested in seeing this superb collection of images taken of Wirksworth Station after the last snowfall. They have been taken by Phil Richards, a noted photographer in Wirksworth and he has captured our station perfectly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwirks/5241272574/in/set-72157625549149782/

Neil

10. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!

Very nice pictures, must pop in to Wirksworth some time

Regards

11. nferguso_wyvern

Vice Chairman

If you can hang on until early April, you will be able to get a through ticket and change at Duffield. :)

12. Chris A

Chris A New Member

I know you said that the "Duke" is on display in platform 1, but im guessing its south end as I cannot see it on the webcam. http://www.e-v-r.com/cctv/default.htm Or is it back in the shed now at the end of the day?

13. nferguso_wyvern

Vice Chairman

Chris, I think it's back in the shed right now but it will be out on display by Saturday morning. Neil

14. Chris A

Chris A New Member

Oh ok. Thank Neil. Will try and see it inbetween driving the RVR steam trains next week ;)

15. martinr1

martinr1 New Member

The Duke is standing at the south end of Platform 1 looking the part as if setting off for the 8 mile journey to Duffield which I am sure it will do in a couple of years time. The team involved already advise new parts are being manufactured ready for a fast track restoration. Keep looking at the webcams there is much happening this week!

16. Chris A

Chris A New Member

Yes I have seen the Komatsu and works train hauled by D8001 going up and down the line. I also note as of now that the snow seems to be back and settling down fast...

17. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Duke is currently making a fine display at the south end of Platform 1. The new chimney has been cast through the good efforts being made at Ribble Steam Railway to whom we are very grateful. So far five chimneys have been cast for a variety of railways, including one in Holland and a sixth has been ordered. Delivery of the chimney from Preston can wait until the weather improves.

To correct an item which recently appeared in the railway press, ownership remains with the Bagnall Loco Group.

Tim

18. Chris A

Chris A New Member

Lots happening recently. Sucessful santa special and new year trains augment our activities. Ballast dropping and aligning the Duffield platform has been the main activity, but work on the DMUs and the BSK have been going on. The LMSCA have furthered their restoration of the Third Open, getting it ready for its part in the opening train. The Duke is now back down the yard and work on its restoration will begin once Andrew Barclay 2217 Henry Elison has been finished. This is progressing quite rapidly due to the generaly condition that it arrived in with all major components being generaly sound, although the boiler requires its foundation ring to be rivited. This engine is now back on its frames after axle box refurbishment.

Major activities over the comming months are the refurbishment of the BSK, ballasting, tamping the line and readying Duffield booking hall for passengers from April next year.

19. Chris A

Chris A New Member

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway: Countdown to Opening on 8th April

Remember to keep an eye on our live webcams from now on as much will be happening.

20. pcgenius9

pcgenius9 Member

IT
    We are currently in the process of upgrading to an exciting new website!

As I speak, the site is coming live so may or may not be available but will be with you shortly. Once it is launched, the live webcams will be unavailable for a very short time whilst some alterations are made.