If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

ED 73136 Perseverance.

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by tamper, Dec 6, 2009.

1. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    As many of you on this forum are aware I was until my retirement the company secretary of the Class 73 Locomotive Preservation Company Limited and it is in my late capacity of that position that I make this official posting on behalf of my very dear and long-standing friend Richard (Dick) Garbutt.

Gordon C Brewer.

6th December 2009.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

A statement by Richard Garbutt.

After constantly being asked what is happening with 73136, I thought I would like to point out that I have had to resign completely from the Class 73 Locomotive Preservation Company, due to personal reasons.

I was the founder of the group and chairman of the company, and the major shareholder. I did the negotiating to purchase the loco from Booths scrap yard, secured a home for the loco at Stewarts Lane, and I also had a very active part in restoring 73136 and getting it back on the mainline. This included organising, and assisting the fitting of TPWS and OTMR. I was also responsible for maintaining 73136 to the high standards required and keeping the loco looking presentable, along with Dave Berry at Stewarts Lane.

Since aquiring 73136, it has had many new or overhauled parts fitted. All the money the locomotive has ever earned has been put back into the upkeep and overhaul of the locomotive. The last major improvement I initiated was the fitting of overhauled bogies and wheel sets. This has now been completed, so hopefully the locomotive will remain on the mainline for many years to come, and this is where it belongs.

I feel proud of the fact that I have played a major part in putting the first preserved electric locomotive back on the mainline. I have made many new friends since having 73136, and it has been an amazing experience. 73136 is a wonderful machine, and I hope all that I have done will have helped to secure the long-term future of the loco.

The class 73 Locomotive Preservation Company are still responsible for the loco but without my input. I will still be looking after 73210 on the MNR. I originally purchased this loco from Porterbrook along with 73211. The later is now owned by the Class 73 Loco Pres. Co.

I would also like to point out that I managed the restoration and did all the procurement and a great deal of the restoration on 73210. And now along with my son, we do most of the maintenance. I must mention my good friend Dave Berry without whose continued help with 73210 we would not have been able to do it.

Finally, I would like to thank all of those who have helped and been involved with both 73136 and 73210, past and present.

Richard (Dick) Garbutt

2. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Dick/ Gordon

Thank you for the Statement. There are rumours abounding that 73136 has been sold to a group called "Cambrian Trains". A group with a similar or same name own 33103, currently at the Swanage Railway. These rumours are causing some confusion. Is there any truth in the rumours of 73136 being sold?

3. John2

John2 Member

To be pedantic, 73136 is the first preserved electro diesel on the mainline, the NRM's class 71 returned briefly to the mainline in 1992. Nevertheless, the JB is a credit to its owners and I have enjoyed travelling on the mainline with the loco.

John.

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

You could probably add Sarah Siddons as well, i think im right in saying she was owned by the LT museum when she went 'off piste'? Anyway, it'll be good to see 73136 back on the mainline, thanks for posting this Gordon.

Chris