If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Elsecar Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by THE MELTER, Sep 1, 2020.

1. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    so what’s the story behind them loosing the Mardy Monster and handing the lease back
    It seems to be a big sudden shock of a situation.
    I feel sorry for the voulenteers if its down to poor decisions on the board

The melter

2. cerneobrien

cerneobrien New Member

3. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not sure how long this has been on the Elsecar Railway website (https://www.elsecarheritagerailway.co.uk) but I think it fairly recent.

"Notice to all Customers and visitors

Following the surrender of the lease by the Trustees of Elsecar Heritage Railway in August 2020, after a number of challenges further compounded by the pandemic, we will begin a consultation period to shape the future of a Heritage Railway offer at the well-loved visitor destination.

We are committed to developing a vision for the whole village, including a successful and sustainable heritage railway offer. The industrial railway heritage is an important part of Elsecar’s history and something we want to celebrate and remember.

Consultation in February and March 2022 will give people the opportunity to share their ideas about the future of the village, as a place much loved by local communities and visitors.

The future of a heritage railway offer will be an important part of that consultation and people and partners will be asked to take part in online surveys, workshops, drop-in sessions and other activities which will be a starting point for future change.

Local residents, business owners, volunteers and visitors will be invited to share their ideas about what they would like to see in Elsecar in the future, and what they can contribute to help make that vision a reality.

More details of this process will be announced shortly."

Nice to see that someone apparently wants to get things open and moving again. Good luck to them.

4. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
  5. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

The website now includes a link to the Council’s consultation on what they should do with the heritage centre, following receipt of the Arts Council funding. It includes questions about the railway, but no details of any proposals. Anyone’s welcome to respond.
    https://www.elsecarheritagerailway.co.uk/

6. Bluenosejohn

Bluenosejohn New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Steve, Johnme101, Kingscross and 3 others like this.