If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by pete12000, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Platelayer

Platelayer Member

For all those who have been asking about the USA 65 usage, I am reliably informed by the Loco Dept that 'Norman' is the booked power for trains now until end of February.

2. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the update, is 65 likely to be working trains again at Embsay, before it returns south, I'd like to travel behind a USA tank in Yorkshire again, it's been a while since we had the chance...

3. Muppet

Muppet Member

Yes, although I cannot be specific as to when, but there will be plenty of opportunities!

Norman got on very well today on test following more work - a new blower and alterations to the blastpipe alignment have made quite a difference.

For those of you who are more interested in the paint and appearance, you will find the nameplates and worksplates are now black-backed and so are the buffers (black, that is)!

4. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Noticed Heritage Rly have hinted that NELPG are looking into hiring 69023 to yourselves next year as part of a plan to move both her and the J27 to yourselves in the future. Is this happening, or have the mags got the wrong end of the stick?

5. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thanks Tim, we'll be patient, and keep an eye out for news!

Pete

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

From the NYMR Unofficia Forum:

NELPG have just confirmed to the NYMR that they consider the NYMR as home base and the reported move to Embsay is not NELPG policy.

Presumably this doesn't preclude the E&BAR hiring the locos when they are available though.

7. Manningham

Manningham New Member

So can we safely say that 65 won't be out this weekend?

Sad - I had 72 23 years ago today on KWVR and it was a smashing loud little device.

8. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    In some way's I find this an odd move as for most of the year NYMR don't have a role for J72, don't think they even used the J72 much on warming up duties unlike the lambert Tank, while on a shorter line their is plenty for her to do.

9. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    NELPG have recalled the J72 from the Wensleydale Railway and it leaves this week to go to Hopetown for repairs and for 14 tubes to be nipped up, (so I am told). It is then rumoured to be going to Embsay. The other rumour is that the J27 is going to the Wensleydale line for the summer season in 2013. Wensleydale are hopeing to have a four coach set this year so as the J72 is restricted to three mark 1s the J27 may go instead. This is all word of mouth rumour so nothing for folk to start saying is definate or to get frothed up about!

I have been told by one of the loco dept at Embsay that repairs are wanted on Norman so to enable those to be done the J72 is going, bear in mind some of the loco dept at Embsay are NELPG members. However with Beatrice and 65 available they should be ok for the time being.

10. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    May I suggest you read post No 5 in the NELPG P3/J27 thread over on the Steam section of this forum.

11. 61624

For those who can't be bothered to look back down this thread, the repair of the J27's boiler is yet to start, so it is unlikely to be going anywhere this summer. If the NYMR have Lambton 29 ready for their 40th anniversary celebrations in May it might be available for hire in the summer as it isn't really suited to peak season services. I suspect it will depend on what locos areavailable for the NYMR in turn to hire this year.

12. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    Yes you can suggest it but I already have and doubted the cost and whether Joem needed a full tube already....."The J72 69023 is to get a retube at Hopetown costing £15,000 as part of its winter maintenance" I was told about some tubes needing nipping up. I would doubt the J27 will be ready for a long time yet and so the plans for anything to go anywhere are as I said rumour. We will know more as time goes on from NELPGs own website as they post their newsletter there.

13. 61624

The quote that a NELPG "meeting decided to defer consideration of the approach from the Embsay and Bolton Steam Railway that the railway became the “Home” of the J27 / P3 and J72 until such time as the J72 had been to the Railway on hire" would seem to be true, though, given that it appeared in the NELPG October Newsletter, which is edited by the NELPG Chairman!

14. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    I have been talking to a NELPG member today who is also a fireman at Embsay and the NYMR. He told me that 14 leaking tubes in the J72 is correct and that it will be getting a full tube (also correct). One tube was found to be pinholed and the others round it had obviously been leaking as the cluster of tubes in the centre of the tube nest have left tell signs of leaking on the firebox tubeplate. When repairs are completed it is the intention for the loco to go to Embsay through into April. After appearing at the NYMR gala in May it is then due to go back to Wensleydale for use during the summer season because the J27 wont be ready.

At Embsay Norman's blastpipe was found to be badly carbonned up and clearing this has helped to improve the steaming in conjunction with the other work mentioned in this thread earlier. Norman was kept as a usable spare to the USA tank over the Santa period. Beatrice needs to have some work done on it before it returns to regular use. The intention is that when the J72 arrives it will enable Norman to be stopped for work on its big ends and side rod brasses.

15. pete12000

pete12000 Member

With USA tank 65 now listed as appearing at the Severn Valley spring gala, will it be out on passenger trains at Embsay before this ?

Thanks

16. Muppet

Muppet Member

Can't say for certain - work still progressing (see the news page). I did learn tonight that the new valve rings should be landing this week. Most of the other work is now complete.

Yesterday the loco was being fitted with the replacement lubricator that had been sent up from KESR. This has been painted up, along with the smokebox and cylinder cladding. A lot of muck was scraped off the frames too!

The loco will be making a flying visit to the SVR before returning to us. It may (fingers crossed etc.) lead to another visiting loco making a short visit to us later...

Hopefully more details will be forthcoming soon as to the Branchline Weekend, which looks like having 4 steam and 4 diesels in action, with the 125th Anniversary (in October) hopefully seeing 6 steam locos in action. I cannot be drawn on more details just yet!

17. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Sounding very good Tim - dates firmly in the diary.

18. railwaychris

railwaychris New Member

any news on which loco will be in use during march

19. Muppet

Muppet Member

No. Not yet - almost certainly Norman / 65 at various points. Possibly Beatrice will make an appearance. 65 last seen looking a bit 'tarty' with fresh paint including pink undercoat on buffer beams. Valve rings landed, being fitted and reassembled.
    Norman out tomorrow on LNWR Saloon, L&Y Saloon + 2 MkIs.

20. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thanks for the update Tim, I'm looking forward to a trip behind 65 from Embsay !