If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Feb 25, 2017] Churnet Valley Winter Steam Gala 2017 (Froghall, Staffordshire)

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Nov 3, 2016.

Churnet Valley Winter Steam Gala 2017
Start Date: Feb 25, 2017 09:00 AM
End Date: Feb 26, 2017 05:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +00:00 GMT

Kingsley & Froghall Station
Froghall, Staffordshire ST10 2HA

Posted By: lil Bear

Confirmed Attendees: 4
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 4
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it ;)

Tom

2. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Hi Chris,
    I've only just noticed your message. Thanks for the additional info'!
    Unfortunately I'm foiled again by work on the Monday too, though my chances of visiting for the Anything Goes weekend in June look good!

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    One small item I've forgotten to mention.

The former Thomas Bolton's copper works has now been taken over by the MOD, and is used as a storage base by them. They provide 24 hour security, and so the CVR recommends no visitors should attempt to reach the surviving chimney to take photographs from. As this is located on private land, the CVR cannot accept any liability for any consequential action taken should you be found at this location.

4. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

This looks like a great event.

5. ChurnetMan

ChurnetMan New Member

The site is now run by Military Spares UK, which is an MOD Disposal Services Authority contractor dealing in military spares. So, if you're looking for cheap second-hand bits to patch up an ageing helicopter gunship, this is the place to try. Otherwise, as lil Bear said, its probably best to stay away. There's a new fence along the front of the site and the gaps in the fence along the canal have been plugged, including one of my favoured vantage points. :(

6. lil Bear

Railway Technician
  7. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Adding to Lil Bear's post... Something to wept your appetite...

(Panned shot, not as crisp as it could be, was nearly dark!)
    DSC_0549HR-0.jpg

8. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Event attractions now updated.
    If anyone is coming to the event feel free to say hi. I'll be the one in the tartan flatcap controlling Cheddleton. :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  9. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

lil Bear and Mick45305 like this.
  10. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Just making the alterations to website now, but after today's test it's been decided to play it safe, and so the first train up the bank will now be 5197 banked by 6046. This will leave the second trip as 6046 solo, and the third & final trip being them both DH on 8. Roll on the weekend, 5197 was an absolute animal this afternoon on the second trip from all reports.

11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Do the Froghall - Cheddleton only trains still have to go to Leekbrook to run round or is there an operational loop at Cheddleton now ?.

12. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

Chemical Engineering Manager
    For this event the Shuttle set will be running in and out of the bay platform at Cheddleton.

13. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    That's a pity, what happened was it slipping?

14. chris meadowcroft

chris meadowcroft Member

Chemical Engineering Manager

5197 hasn’t completed as many running in miles as we would have liked so 6046 is on the back to Ipstones just in case.

5197 will be pulling hard and putting on a good show!

15. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Just to say what a good day out today turned out to be. The Old Man and I enjoyed riding behind 5197 (a cop loco for me ) and having 6046 banking actually added to, rather than detracting from, the enjoyment. Looked like it was pretty well attended too, without being overcorwded if you know what I mean.

Nice for the public to have a good nosey around the MPD and the C&W where Brian Mullen was actually smiling!!!!:eek: The new Middleton Press book on the line(s) from Leek to Hulme End is an interesting read with some interesting photos neither of us had seen before. Nice to have the Bluebell guest too, very nice to look at, even better when it's all grown up (;)).

All in all thumbs up from me and the Old Man, and thanks to one and all for organising and facilitating this.

16. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Untitled-1b.jpg Saturday 25/02/2017 - A Dull day with showers in the afternoon and very muddy underfoot along the towpaths of the Caldon Canal whilst on the photographing adventures.
    4 engines in steam for this gala - 2 x USA S160`s - 5197 & 6146
    Polish TKh no. 2944 "Hotspur"
    South Eastern & Chatham Railway P Class no. 323 Blubell (visiting from the Bluebell Railway).
    I arrived fairly early at Kingsley & Froghall station and had to wait nearly an hour for a train to arrive. A run of a mile or so along the line to Consall on the 10.53 service behind Bluebell, to take some pictures from the canal towpath, followed by a trip further along the line behind 6046 to Chaddleton with a trip around the sheds and then back to Consall for a pint in the Black Swan,a place to dodge the showers and more pictures before returning back to Froghall behind double headed USA 160s. A bit of videoing followed with these two engines making a stirring sight departing and then off towards Bradnob to catch them again.
    The trains were nearly all full, probably the best place to be given the timetable and the weather.
    The Gala really needed the loop at Consall repaired to be able to give a better timetable and the locomotive movements and trains up to Ipstones took alot of the engine times and capacity. This left the Cheddleton to Froghall part sparingly blank with only six departures all day from Kingsley & Froghall. Poor in my opinion for a gala day.
    Alot of waiting around for trains - but an enjoyable day despite the weather.
    Highlight was the double headed departure from Froghall with the two S160`s .

The above picture grabbed from a video

pictures here - http://steamingnorth.com/thumbnails.php?album=209

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  17. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Interesting, I spent the day on the trains and thought the timetable was great, three trips to Ipstones and something in between. You can do the normal CVR any time so at a gala they should maximise the Cauldon branch. The two S160's were awesome, well worth the drive up from Cardiff.

I assume the main restricting factor to running more trains is lack of coaching stock rather than anything else. I think everything that works was out over the weekend.

18. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    The problem at Consall is not the railways problem, its is the canals who are dragging their feet in repairing it. We the P/way along with other groups on the railway have spent many days trying to get the mainline back in running order. Checking voids repacking several times. Do you expect canal towpaths not to be muddy at this time of the year? Considering all the problems at Consall with the TSL everyone on the railway pulled together to make this event one of the best we have ever had,

49010 likes this.
  19. Sir Topham

Sir Topham New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Having attended several CVR galas in the past I would say yesterday's visit was the best visit I've had. I actually thought that the timetable made it feel more like a gala with the use of the bay platform and it cut down on waiting times. In fact I would be more than happy to see a similar timetable at future events.

During the day I managed to go up the bank twice as well as Cheddlteton to Consall twice and a round trip to Froghall on Hotspur and Bluebell. Cheddelton seemed to have something going on all the time and I actually had time to have a good look around without worrying about getting stranded and having to wait ages for the next train.

Volunteers were all excellent and the 2 S160's up the bank were the icing on the cake. Well done to all

lil Bear and FJR8642 like this.
  20. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

deleted

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017