If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Feb 25, 2017] Churnet Valley Winter Steam Gala 2017 (Froghall, Staffordshire)

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Nov 3, 2016.

Churnet Valley Winter Steam Gala 2017
Start Date: Feb 25, 2017 09:00 AM
End Date: Feb 26, 2017 05:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +00:00 GMT

Kingsley & Froghall Station
Froghall, Staffordshire ST10 2HA

Posted By: lil Bear

Confirmed Attendees: 4
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 4
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It was noisy...

To answer a couple of questions -:
    Yes, all our serviceable coaches were in use this weekend.
    Yes, a non-functioning loop was the reason for the event timetable. If we could of run more, we would of.

2. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    I really enjoyed the day yesterday, 6046 on the double header was probably my highlight and I don't usually like double headers.
    My main gripe was the waiting around to get past Leekbrook on the return journey, you stop at the phone, you stop at the signal, and you stop to get the staff, then you stop to wait to get clearance to carry onto Cheddleton.
    I know that there are probably operational reasons for this but it does get irksome!
    I was very glad of the fill in attractions like the sales stands, Patriot group stand etc etc. The shunting at Cheddleton of the shuttle gave plenty to see there also.
    The Cauldon Lowe trip is quite unlike any other railway.

lil Bear and Liam K like this.
  3. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Having visited yesterday I think you'll find the "problem" was the need to allow the shuttle service with 323 / Cw2944 access to the bay platform; given the current layout one of the trains needed to be held for a short period and the shortest delay to the Ipstones service was the best option.

For those who missed the sight :

5197-01.jpg

4. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Bearing in mind that the journey from Leekbrook to Ipstones Loop is a fair distance, then there's a need to run round at the Loop, then run back to Leekbrook, add in a compulsory stop (each way) at the bridge by the Threshing Barn (?) that means that a full line run will inevitably leave a gap in the valley, especially at the Froghall end. In the circumstances, and especially with the problem with the loop at Consall, I think we did as well as we could with the timetabling. The use of the bay at Chedd was an interesting novelty, could be worth doing at a future gala as well. So all in all I think that the timetabling was about as good as it could have been and showed some good initiative in adversity.

One other thing - the Old Man and I both had a bloody good sift through the second hand books in the platform 2 shelter, we both came away with copies of the Oakwood Press book on Knotty Locos and Rolling Stock which neither of us had even seen before. Always good to have second hand book stalls.

Was it worth getting knackered out doing the track walk from Leekbrook to Froghall last Wednesday, and getting filthy dirty digging out drains? Yes indeed. Looking forward to more of the same.

5. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

An enjoyable weekend at the gala for my first visit to the Churnet Valley. As others have said, the timetable was decent given then problems at Consall, we could all hope for better but they made the best of a bad situation. Here is my video and a few photos from the weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lil Bear likes this.
  6. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Leekbrook signalling has nothing to do with Consall issues. All the signals are fixed, and authority to Pass the Signals at Danger is required before a train can continue as per railway operating rules. Until somebody provides both the finance and equipment to motorise the signals, it will remain as such. The waiting for authority to proceed South from Leekbrook is because the section is Consall - Leekbrook, so until the shuttle was "inside" we could not allow 2-trains in section. Again until somebody provides the finance and equipment to split this section into two, it will remain as such. As Simon notes, we tried to come up with the best we can taking our limitations into consideration plus the unexpected issues at Consall. Hopefully it wont be too long before we can cross at Consall again and we can revert to the "Pilot" timetable from WSG2016.

7. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The sound of the double headed S160's was thunderous. What a great show it was and thanks to the CVR for their effort. Hope you enjoy :)

lil Bear, irwellsteam and Mick45305 like this.
  8. ChurnetMan

ChurnetMan New Member

My efforts from the weekend

9. DerekTrotter

DerekTrotter New Member

Excellent visit to the gala on Sunday!

Well done to all involved(lil bear and others).

I particurlarly liked the announcements/commentry on the train, yeah a PA system isn't original, but we are not in the 1950's this is a 2017 tourist railway .

Shall be back again...

49010 and lil Bear like this.
  10. siranorak

siranorak New Member

Agreed!! If you haven't been to the CVR its well worth it- I shall also be back!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    49010 and lil Bear like this.
  11. siranorak

siranorak New Member

Yes it was a really good event despite the rather dull and dreary weather. Those big black engines certainly performed and my neice and her children and I really enjoyed the ride with so much to see- the exquisite stations, the scenery and interesting views beside the canal, the friendly and relaxed staff, and of course the slog up to Instones. Its always a joy to visit a railway which 'hasn't lost its innocence' and still has something of the pioneering days about it, although for sure its a long line and run very professionally. You can view some photos of the day at http://www.railwayimagesuk.com/PRESERVATION-IN-UK/PRESERVED-RAILWAYS/CHURNET-VALLEY-RAILWAY-CVR/ and thanks again to all those involved in putting on a fantastic weekend in the winter!

lil Bear likes this.
  12. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    https://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/event/875/double-headed-s160s-weekend

How do you follow up the first Double-headed S160s in the 21st Century? You do it again of course!

Following 5197 succesful return to service at the Winter Steam Gala 2017, starring alongside sister 6046 on the Cauldon Branch, we are going to operate a weekend dedicated to our operational pair of USATC S160s on 6/7th May 2017.

5197 and 6046 will double-head all day throughout the weekend, operating a train equivalent to the weight of 10 coaches from Kingsley & Froghall station to Ipstones Loop - therefore including the 4.5 mile climb of the Cauldon Branch!

Timetable will be released shortly, as will advance tickets for which there will be an online discount.

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres