If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flickr changes

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Neil_Scott, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Flickr has gone ahead with its changes that were on trial last year. I can't say that I'm massively enthused. A friend recommended trying Ipernity and I am impressed. The quality of uploads seems to be much better than what Flickr offers. A comparison:

https://flic.kr/p/mgus1X

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/706169/31587577

You do only get 200mb per month to upload but the subscription isn't much more than what Flickr charge.

2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

I used to pay for Flickr - but then they told me it was free - and refunded a (pro-rata) part of my payment. I don't pay anything now.

3. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

By change do you mean a large photo in the centre of the page and then text, username etc down below on a white background? Mine has been like this for a while now (since before end of last year I'd say) including on my phone so I've pretty much accepted it now. However, recently my phone has reverted to the style they brought in at the beginning of 2013 with the photo on the left hand side, all the info on the right on a black background. I prefer the latter but its a bit confusing over which its meant to be! I'm looking to upgrade to something like a zenfolio site but at the moment with my dissertation on the go and no free time, it suits me not to pay for a site.

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Neil , I can see very little difference on my laptop or PC . Flickr is free and has access to a multitude of groups

5. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Martin, there appears a world of difference on my Macbook - different computers and such. Flickr group are over-rated or for those desperate for hits IMO.

6. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

That's my experience too

7. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Instead of being patronising why not actually point out the "world of difference" you can see on your macbook that would convince someone with hundreds of images on flickr to migrate to this site.
    YOU may not like flickr but it's tried and tested and backed by Yahoo.

Remember Fotopic?

8. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Why not bite the bullet and put some pics on Flickr, you might get some nice comments.The site is great for encouragement and criticism,and you can get loads of hits(Poss more than One Direction)
    H

9. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

I don't necessarily think Flickr groups are over-rated. I post my pictures to groups partially because its nice when you do get hits and a bit of recognition but also to help other people with locations etc. Flickr is good for that sort of thing as you can search a specific place and see if other people have been there in the wealth of photos online. I like looking at what other people have favorited too for similar reasons, to look at different shots people have tried