If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman at the Bluebell Railway: 13 - 19 April 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Jamessquared, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

That was only if remedial works to the down platform at Dormans were not carried out in time. These works were carried out in February. It was also reported that works to platforms at Lingfield and Oxted were required. I noticed last night that a section of copings on the southern end of the up platform at Oxted had been relaid and brickwork beneath them rebuilt recently.

2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the link to this timetable. Can someone explain what happens to 30541? Does it run coupled to 847 up to Horsted Keynes on the 09.10 where it is then detached?

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes, it goes SP to HK on the front double-headed with 847 and the SR livery set. Once at HK, 541 uncoupls, crosses to the loop and picks up the brake van from the Ardingly siding and does brake van rides all day. 847 continues on to EG.

At the end of the day, 541 comes back on the north end of Camelot's set (i.e. top and tail). It then either berths the set or runs the Q path to HK and back, at the discretion of the Ops Supervisor.

Tom

green five likes this.
  4. John Petley

Thank you, Tom. I thought this was the case. Great to see 847 will be running with a 6-coach set of Southern stock, according to "Services for the Coming Week."

5. 73082

73082 Member

6. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm quite surprised the Bluebell trains are that...well, green. I had visions of 7 B&C Mk.1s plus the GN on the back.

7. John Petley

8. 73082

73082 Member

Would anyone happen to know the nature of the parking restrictions on the roads for the duration of the event? Do they extend to all roads along the line or just those near stations, and do they include lay-bys and areas where it is possible to pull right off the road onto a verge?

9. 73082

73082 Member

Sorry, can't say I know. Undoubtedly there will have to be gauging runs, but it's whether they do them during the night while moving FS to Sheffield Park, or if they take it back out during the day.

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I can only comment on East Grinstead, where signs advising of restrictions have gone up on Fairbank Way, Brooklands Way and Railway Approach.

11. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Signs also up at Sharpthorne

12. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Given the imminent arrival of Flying Scotsman I recall reading in a book that the loco was due to visit the line once before.

In 1982 the Bluebell was celebrating the 100th anniversary of the opening of the LEGR and the loco was due to visit for its big celebration event, however it was cancelled because of the cost of moving the loco from Carnforth

13. Zoomeg

Zoomeg New Member

There is plenty of free residential parking on the Western side of EG a pleasant walk down the Worth Way (ex Three Bridges line), not a lot of potential between EG and Kingscote with or without restrictions, in fact there is very little parking potential (as in places you'd want to leave a car for any period of time, the roads are narrow with few verges) close to the line for its whole length away from stations (and sites thereof) but if you don't mind a lovely scenic walk from a proper parking spot there are plenty of free crossings and bridges you can observe trains from.

I'm not sure why signs have gone up in the places mentioned upthread in East Grinstead as they already have quite rigidly controlled parking, I can't myself see any likelihood of further restrictions on other roads along the line so it should be fine, just the usual common sense.

£10 station admission seems excessive compared to the usual £1.50 - £3

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  14. 73082

73082 Member

Thanks for this, I believe SP on standard running days is now £6 and with the amount that will inevitably be going on I can understand £10 for the event, Horsted Keynes is £3 on standard days but I suppose with the number of people the Bluebell are expecting they are understandably going to put the price up. I mean, look at the travelling price, £25 to ride behind 73082 and 847 with a chance at 30541 if you're on the right train, though I can't complain, the Bluebell and other preserved lines have to obtain money when they have the opportunity, and a visit by FS is by far the best opportunity any of them are likely to get given that, as long as it doesn't fail half way through the week, is a low financial risk compared with other galas owing to the amount of attention it receives from the general public.

15. 73082

73082 Member

Seen passing South Croydon this morning.

ilvaporista likes this.
  16. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    It appears that the Railway are directing all non-FS passengers to HK station. See: http://www.bluebell-railway.com/whats_on/flying-scotsman/
    Site states that;

..." Limited parking may also be available at Sheffield Park, where car parking is mainly intended for those holding tickets to ride behind Flying Scotsman
    If you just want to look at the passing trains, admission to our stations at Sheffield Park, Horsted Keynes and Kingscote will be available on the day at £10 per station. Stay as long as you like"...

although I suspect that the parking at SP may well be taken very quickly.

Site also notes that all passengers intending to travel on services other than FS should also start/end their journey at HK.

17. Zoomeg

Zoomeg New Member

I'd far rather shell out the extra £15 to ride behind Camelot and the S and being able to see FS all along the line than just stand on the platform; maybe that's the idea?

FS does seem to have acquired Rock Star status and if Bluebell can pull lots of funds in from this event fair enough. I haven't looked at the timetable in great detail but presumably it's possible to have more than one return trip for the lucky peeps who got a ticket for FS;

I don't recall all this fuss for Tornado in 2014 there was plenty of merchandise but the trains themselves were fine to turn up on the day and travel on.

18. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

The tickets to travel behind Flying Scotsman are for one specific return trip only - if they don't get there in time then its quite possible they won't be able to be accommodated on another FS service that day (or indeed on any other). Passengers holding such tickets are however able to travel on the other two trains as much as they want to throughout the day before or after their FS trip.

It appears however there are concerns that with Flying Scotsman tickets having been sold out for quite a while, some locals (and no doubt others further afield) are thinking they have missed their chance to see FS and are not planning on coming. As you say while they cannot ride behind FS, they will still get plenty of opportunities to see it, photograph it and maybe even 'cab it' during the run round at Sheffield Park, plus of course enjoy at least one ride behind one of our resident locos. There are also extra attractions being laid on so still plenty to see and do - and it would be a shame if people stay away simply because they think the event is 'sold out' when that only applies to the FS hauled trains themselves.

As regards Tornado - no there wasn't the same level of fuss when it came to visit*, and there was no need to book in advance. However trying to compare the two locos is flawed - as you note FS has acquired 'rock star' status with the non enthusiast general public. Yes Tornado created a bit of a stir when it was 'launched' onto the mainline as it were, but that interest by the general public was nowhere near the reaction seen the FS when it finally emerged from its overhaul and people engaged in mass trespass with their families in tow just to see it. Enthusiasts can throw as many temper tantrums as they like about how other locos are "more historic / more authentic / more important to our railway history" till they are blue in the face - it won't make the slightest bit of difference to most of the general public who now regard FS as the pinnacle of "steam trains". While yes, the Heritage railway movement has a role to play in trying to correct this misapprehension, it also needs to attract increasing numbers of said public to visit and spend their cash. As such a visit by FS, as disruptive as it is to 'normal' operations still, remains something to embrace, rather than get angry about.

*which incidentally was a couple of years late as the A1 group were originally purswaded to let in come down by road for our 50th celebrations - the extension not yet finished at the time, only for a problem to develop during its main line running that meant it had to undergo repairs instead

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  19. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

There will be parking restrictions on the A275 in the vicinity of Sheffield Park Station, the lanes approaching HK and Vowels Lane + B2210 at Kingscote. Exactly how far these will stretch I'm not sure, but we are probably talking about a mile or so either side of the station entrances.

20. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    So you won't be able to park in the usual spots around Horsted Keynes and down by the tunnel then?