If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Very much so Alan, that was the context of my post. It was commercially and publicity wise very successful. The operational constraints were managed as well as possible too by ELR, coping very well with trial steaming opened up to public viewing. ELR also seemed to create a positive impression as the host of NRMs publicity junket.
    From an entirely personal view it was only regrettable not to have been the full launch of the finished loco. ELR deserved that opportunity IMHO, but I'm biased!

2. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

But it wasn't supposed to be a "standard gala" was it?

The whole thing was unprofessional and poorly presented....IMO!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It was a gala and galas have a habit to throwing curve balls at the organisers. We're talking machinery here and even the best prepared bit of kit can go wrong.
    Going by what others have said here and elsewhere, you seem to be in a minority with your opinion.
    Oh and by "standard" I was not implying that the gala was a standard one but that such problems often happen at special events.
    Presume you'll be offering to organise the next one for the ELR.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    pjr, GHWood, andalfi1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Absolutely the right decision made. It was always going to be a close run thing, and much kudos to Ian Riley and his team for getting the old girl as far as they have so far, given all that has been required to be done.

5. Swiss Toni

The re launch of the most iconic steam locomotive in the world and all it got was a rush job!

6. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    No I do not currently volunteer

bryemycaz and class8mikado like this.
  7. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think you are looking at this the wrong way. They were very clever with the ELR runs, it was shown in a deliberately unfinished and unnamed state. Much was made of its "this is a test" status and in the process sharing its rebirth with the public. This way hicups were expected and added to the " this real life testing you are part of folks"

The timing of this weekend run was however in my view an unacceptable risk, undoing much of the previously well done PR

8. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

That's an entirely different issue, don't blame ELR, it didn't set the deadlines! Those were the dates given to ELR to work with by the project management. Likewise ELR had to work with the loco in the state presented to them ie very much under test. It was that or nowt.

9. billbedford

billbedford Member Friend

retired
    So after all your criticism did you ask for a refund of your ticket price ? ;)

10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    All good points. As I see it, 60103 worked ELR trains on the dates she was advertised to. Nobody promised her in green, nobody promised that one of the more reliable steam locos in the shape of 45407 wouldn't fail, in fact nobody promised that there wouldn't be any problems at all. If Swiss Toni bought a ticket then I suggest he makes his complaints to the ELR and asks for a refund. If he was simply on the line side taking photographs, tough. Sh!t happens.

pjr and andalfi1 like this.
  11. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    The Level of whinging from some people is astounding! It was a paid test run, nobody can complain, it steamed and sounded great! Its a preserved railway without the resources to handle all those people - so a bit of disorganisation was to be expected. The 23rd tour was marketed as "FS might not be available" - The fact that the overhaul has been done and its in steam is pretty astounding given the current climate! Lets all look forward to her first tour and say a big thank you to those at Riley Engineering who have overhauled FS and are probably working damn hard to get through a fairly extensive snagging list. Its not like you can pop out and have a look at another A3 and see how it works is it?!

12. BillyReopening

BillyReopening Member

Freelance Trumpet Player // IT Engineer
    Swiss, half the things you posted here are just to wind people up....Step back to your armchair :) :)

Shep Woolley likes this.
  13. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Shhhh, I love it when he's controversial...;)

14. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

Wasn't aware 4468 had returned to steam

Adam-Box likes this.
  15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Can't think when you have ever been a) wrong or b) uncharitable but you clearly have a bee in your bonnet over the ELR weekend. Maybe it was a case of snow on the lens as we've not benefited from you sharing any of your usually fine images from the event. This was a running in/loco testing event that the ELR was happy to host. Nothing more, nothing less and it seems as though the event allowed the Riley team to identify the fine tuning necessary before FS could go on a main line trial. All pretty sensible to my mind.

YorkyLad, mike1522 and Shep Woolley like this.
  16. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

I think advertising the engine on a ain line tour only 1 week after her second running in date was being to optimistic the 2nd of Feb, seems a more sensible option, and the tour operator was clear, she may not make it, as far as i'm concerned, it it needs longer to sort out issues, it has to have it, simples,
    it will be ready when its ready is the only truthful answer, thats the only way it can be.

17. Swiss Toni

To be continued...........when I get to a proper keyboard and not this touch screen rubbish!

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

4014 hasn't ... yet :)

mike1522 likes this.
  19. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

What would we rather have :-

1. The possibility of a high profile sit down on the mainline, with all the chaos that ensues, I am sure WCRC don't want that either, or...

2. Wait for the job to be completed to the satisfaction of IRE and all the technical bodies etc..., and then released without any niggles, or possibility of an issue.

In view of the current situation with WCRC, I am sure that (2) would always be the best option, and in fact the ONLY one.

Its a shame for those on board, however, they would no doubt complain if (1) was tried, even though it should not come into the equation.

As for those at lineside, those on board are paying for your free show, maybe have a think about them......

20. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    I know we're all allowed opinions, but it is immeasurably wearying to read such off hand diatribe, after waiting ten years to see Flying Scotsman in steam.

I was happiest seeing the number of people - general public and enthusiasts alike - going to see the engine. I wasn't able to go due to work so I felt as though I was living through the experience of others. Thanks to all who've shared their experiences and excellent photography, btw.

I'm trying to figure out why exactly Swiss Toni feels the need to be so negative.

1) things go wrong at galas - name me one gala at any railway where something doesn't go wrong in some form
    2) an engine fails - it's a fact of life in preserved railways. Scotsman herself did not fail - the pump did and they found a way around that. Excellent work all round.
    3) timetable - who here has known a gala keep to a timetable exactly? We're not talking about passengers services which are guaranteed. All of the trains Scotsman was due to pull did run, didn't they? If they did then what's the problem?

Just feels a bit like an excuse to find a negative to beat the NRM and Ian Riley over the head with, and it doesn't seem fair, reasonable or consistent by my ombudsman's standards quite frankly.

pjr likes this.