If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Well-Known Member

Brick Machine Operator
    The only issue I have with these Scotsman programmes are that Marchington ownership is always glossed over quite quickly. It was the same with the BBC programme in 2013, albeit it was only one short episode.

I know the loco didn't do anything major of note in that time but was still an interesting, if sad phase of the loco's life both for the loco and behind the scenes.

What's also sad is that after the announcement yesterday of the passing of Sir William McAlpine, it means all three previous owners have now sadly passed away in the last few years.

2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Part of the furniture

Freelance photo - journalist
    I thought Pete Waterman was involved in Flying Scotsman ownership I believe - and he is still alive !

2392 likes this.
  3. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Well-Known Member

Brick Machine Operator
    I was referring to the 3 outright owners. Pete Waterman was indeed involved in owning the loco but Sir William still owned the other half.

Although short, it was still an eventful part of the loco's history.