If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    But it does allow the loco owner to make an easy last minute substitute in 45699 cunnningly disguised as 45700 Britannia!!
    OK, I'm only daydreaming.......

3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Like it - I get that sometimes! :yo:

4. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Completely agree with you. It is very easy to criticise. I have great admiration for the work the NRM and all its supporters do and achieve.

Those criticising Steve clearly haven't worked under him. I remember very well the work he did at Liverpool Road.

4472 will be ready when it's ready.

Duncan

5. Avonside1972

Avonside1972 New Member

Lifes hard in the Public Domain. I too was a dissenter of the NRM until we had a visit of Rocket to our line. Great team, nothing too much trouble. Well Done Mr. Coulls.... oh and keep shouting about the Industrials! Dont want to see another 1945 happen again soon. :-( and looking forward to seeing Scotsman back on the mainline where it belongs.

Mark

6. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    Despite all the waffle and back biting, let us spare a thought for Alan Pegler who passed away this morning at the age of 91. Without him, there would be no Flying Scotsman to argue over.

7. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    How sad. No 4472 and probably no Ffestiniog Railway either. A genuine legend in the railway world.

8. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    I am very sorry to hear that, and you are quite right.

Rest in peace, Alan Pegler. Railway preservation has lost another of its wonderful characters.

9. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Now that puts it all into perspective. My condolences to his family. His contribution to preservation can hardly be overstated.

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

RIP Alan. And thanks.

11. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

It would be very interesting to know how complete the overhaul records are for 4472. The engine was worked on at Hunslet's in 1969 and the boiler was removed from the frames for overhaul. On return from the States the engine went into Derby works where the various extras fitted to the engine to allow the trip to America were removed and the engine cleaned and repainted. It arrived back in the UK in Feb. '73 and was relaunched into UK work in a ceremony taking place on July 14th '73 - 4 months in the works so it cannot have received too much attention in that time. Or perhaps it did, maybe someone who posts here knows. I have seen the work that took place at Derby described as a "light overhaul".

The smokebox was renewed at Carnforth in the Spring of '75 as I understand it. The locomotive had an overhaul at Vickers in Barrow (peculiar choice) but was not at her best during the CCE seasons. The engine was often being worked on in the shed during the Marylebone years and then came the preparations for Australia where she appears to have performed quite well. From here it is Southall, VOSE and the money running out. It is hard to see where exactly the engine received the attention it really needed hence the current saga. So, when it is ready it will indeed be ready and I will be there to see it, another pilgrimage just like going to Manchester Victoria in Feb. all those years ago.

12. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Very sad to hear about Alan Pegler.

I can't believe people think Steve Davies should quit. He's only been there 5 minutes and seems to be doing a good job. Ok, so 4472 is running late and over budget, but which loco overhaul hasn't? Admittedly the numbers involved are far higher than other overhauls, but how many other locos have been in such a state that they were only fit to be used as little more than just a smoke generator on mainline tours, such as the Scarborough Spas?

13. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

What sad news. Vale, Alan, & thank you for everything. Preservation has lost an 'elder statesman' with your passing.

Getting back OT, I have to also throw my hat into the ring on the side of the supporters of the NRM & its staff, several of whom, let's not forget, came into the equation after 4472 was taken out of service. Yes, there will be questions asked about the problems, but I for one am confident that answers will be forthcoming in due course.

It's very easy to snipe from the sidelines, and it must be very disheartening for the likes of Anthony, Steve & others to basically have their integrity questioned in the way that has been seen in this thread and others. However, I'm sure that most of us are cheering them on with what is a very difficult task, trying to keep things moving and attempting to keep everybody happy. I for one think that the NRM is in a better position than it has been for many years, particularly given the present economic climate.

My own feeling is that 4472 has been kept going pretty much on a 'wing and a prayer' for many years, the last overhaul notwithstanding. This time, things have finally caught up with the old girl; simple as that.

Mark

14. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer

Very sad Alan was a real gentleman I had hoped he would have got one last run with is old girl, RIP Alan.

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    At a time when it's fashionable to hurl criticism around on an internet forum, often without a basis in fact, people should take time and reflect on what the preservation movement has lost. Alan was a thorough gentlemen and initial saviour of one of the greatest railway icons. We owe him a lot. RIP Alan.

16. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Sad to hear of Alan Pegler's death. A quiet man behind the scenes he took pride in his achievements and even accepted the costs - both personal and financial - with dignity yet was pleased to talk to anyone regarding his love of railways. A man who achieved much on behalf of the nation yet received so little - not even a knighthood !

17. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    If that is your opinion you are entitled to that opinion but if I might state my opinion, that post is "unnecessary" and out of order. Steve Davis made a flippant remark, hands up anybody who has never done the same, I know I have.
    Kids playground? well if it seems that way, what's wrong with that? A lot of people happen to think it's teaching children a bit of our history.
    Incompetents? Out of order with that. Could you be more specific please?

Just MY opinion.

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Out of order bordering on libellous.

19. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Firstly, I will start by pointing out that you cannot libel a group.

Secondly, It is not rocket science to be able to test for metal fatigue on a chassis (which is what the loco. frames effectively are). It is not expensive either. Given that ever since her return from Australia Scotsman has always had a poor reputation for rough riding (which was unusual, the class generally rode very well) thus the clues were already there and should have been thoroughly checked out upon strip down, Once again bearing in mind that the previous overhaul and subsequent maintenance policy had left a legacy of problems lose and careful attention should have been paid from the start to the condition of principal components. If it were not relatively easy to check for metal fatigue in chassis we would see many lorries and coaches by our roadsides with their 'backs' broken.

In addition to make a comment to the media about what you will do if a project goes wrong and then when it does claim it as a joke is not the sign of a good manager or indeed good judgement.

Finally I would like to add my voice to those who have already made tributes to Alan Pegler, I always found him to be a true Gentleman.

20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Oakfield , feel free to put the libel laws , or any other appropriate laws of Britain to the test , but please be assured your comments are absolutley your own and do not reflect those of the forum , nor its moderators, and you either stand by them or fall on your sword