If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

It's been a while since we've had a decent froth-fest over the hue of the waterproof membrane on 4472, Anthony!

But seriously, I'd like to add my 100% support to you, Steve, Chris & the rest of the team at the NRM, and also to Ian R & his gang, in your continuing efforts to get this iconic locomotive back out where she belongs.

Mark

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark, I have done precious little except look after the other 291 vehicles in the collection whilst the A3 is in the hands of the Engineers. However, I know the teams on both sides of the Pennines appreciate the support they get - it's been an incredible ride, but they are getting there.

(Takes work hat off)

I personally do not believe that one can point fingers at any one event or individual or period of management of the engine; and that's me speaking as me, not in any professional capacity.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As was announced by the NRM when the plan was first mooted. Just a pity that some people sound off before they establish the facts. I'm sure all right minded people are fully behind the efforts to return 4472 to the rails. As you say, I doubt any one incident or individual is the root cause of the problems. Just don't forget the BR dark green. :)

4. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Or BR blue... (but last time I suggested that, I was accused of playing fast and loose with the collection. Perhaps I'd better go back to mending the steam roller) :)

5. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Personally, after all the continuous stream of bad news and subsequent finger pointing (mostly at the poor NRM team that have surely been well and truly grilled through this entire affair), all the heated and bitter comments, and finally the cringeworthy interview in the SR, I'll be glad when all this is over and 4472 is back up and running.

Really I (and I'm sure most other members of this forum and the NRM itself) just want to see the back of this whole episode and move on...

I'm sure it'll be in superb condition once it's finally done, Ian Riley's reputation for top notch restorations is well known, and I look forward to seeing out and about, and making good news for a change (which to be fair before this overhaul, it did for the most part and should do again.)

As for the livery debate... for me, Flying Scotsman is an engine in apple green with a single chimney, end of... though having said that, I I'm partial to BR blue...

On a side note, is there any other engine you'd like to see lined up with 4472 when its ready? It has been gone for a while afterall. Tornado is on top of my list of engines to line up with Flying Scotsman, followed closely by Pendennis Castle. How about you...?

6. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

7. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Okay, I’m a bit slow off the mark on this one (I don’t have time to monitor NP every single day), but I read the SR article and can’t let it pass without expressing my anger, disgust and frustration at the line take taken by Wilcock.

I have taken SR since Day 1, through all its ups and downs, changes of editor and direction, and I had thought that of late it had turned a corner with some well-written and interesting articles – then this. What the hell was Wilcock thinking? Who did he think he was appealing too?

He had a heaven sent opportunity for some serious investigative journalism. He could have explored the reasons for the cracks not being found – what methods were used earlier, and how did Rileys find them? Lessons to be learned, not just for the NRM but other owners etc etc But what did we get? A third rate Paxman job.

Steve Davies has a proven track record both within and without the Museum industry, and frankly all Wilcock’s article has achieved is to show himself up as a yet another member of the gutter press, not fit to lace Steve’s boots. And of course GBH has to shoulder much of the blame too, as he chose to run the piece without blue-penning it (or if he did I dread to think what he struck out).

It will be interesting to see what Part 2 holds – will he have moved on from ‘but admit it – it’s a humiliation”? An all-time low SR. Just pathetic. Iain Jack.

8. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Sheff - couldn't agree more. Much more succintly put than my own thoughts. Well said.

I think I've said this previously to you on the forum, but nothing would please me more than to see Flying Scotsman in express passenger blue. A much underrated livery that suits all of the power 8 Pacifics it was used on. Even the Kings looked exquisite in it.

Just have to sort that single chimney now...I'll get me coat!

I do think the opportunity to offer a change from the LNER apple green and BR dark green debate would be nice!

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Nah Scotsman should be green.
    i'd prefer a new build A3 with coal rail tender.
    that way you have one for the enthusiasts and one for the family.

10. Coldgunner

Coldgunner New Member

I do wish 2750 Papyrus was preserved, anyone for a new build Gresley A1/A3???

This month was the first time I've bought SR and I was shocked at the pure childish manner to which the interviewer asked questions. It seemed like pure fleet street tabloid rubbish to me. Us rail enthusiasts struggle with the general opinion of the populace (we all wear anoraks, go trainspotting and recant timetables off the cuff don't we?), and this sort of thing does not put us in a good light.

I see the NRM as a working museum, like many others across the country, and believe the 4472 should be given the overhaul she deserves. I am of the opinion that the overhaul previous to her coming into possession of the NMSI wasn't as thorough as we're led to believe. I don't have any evidence to suggest why, other than the previous owners wanted to make money out of her. Money can't be made when she's in the works...

The final point in this matter is that 4472 is finally where she should have been in 1963, part of the national collection. Which I believe was the whole reason for her purchase by the late Mr Pegler. I don't care about deflectors, double chimneys etc., so long as she's running.

Mr Coulls, before you guys paint her in her full livery, how about painting the wheels and frames DB red? :p

11. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    The place isn't mine to lecture on livery, but I'd like to think that now in the national collection, it would be nice to see a little variety for her. We've now got NE black, possibly my favourite, but I do think that as a publicly owned loco, perhaps all enthusiasts should be encompassed in some way, if they possibly can, so have BR blue and green at some point (yes i said BR green -- don't worry, i'll go wash my mouth out with soap....)

It always adds variety and keeps people interested if something keeps reinventing itself every so often, and will certainly catch attention.

Just a little plea, so we don't get a repeat of 49395, 1 livery for the whole running ticket, although the circumstances with that are noticeably different.

12. Sheff

Can't believe that once more this thread has descended into paint/deflector/chimney froth. Just how many times can this be regurgitated and raked over?

Why not just rewind back to the last bout and cut/paste it here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay, don't answer that, I'm off.

13. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Hardly. You didn't read me saying she MUST be *insert colour here*, did you?

The "perhaps", "would be nice if" and "if they possibly can" buzzwords should have tipped you off

14. Sheff

My post wasn't aimed at you - I don't see any quotation? A general comment based on several recent posts.

15. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Fair enough :thumb:

16. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for that reminder Anthony, but remember we must never let the facts get in the way of a good rant........:tongue:

17. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    A new colour for FS?? certainly, I've got just the answer, give Mr Riley a free hand to paint it any colour he wants.
    Before the livery eccentrics kick off, that's not a serious comment, just trying to inject a bit of humour.
    For me? just get the machine up and running and in rude health, I'll happily trust the NRM's judgement on paint colour.

18. S.A.C. Martin

That leaves my last post - you have my sincere apologies for the raking up.

19. Sheff

Ha ha - let's hope it stays buried and NRM can concentrate on getting her moving again ;)

20. S.A.C. Martin

Amen to that! :)