If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Footplate crew outfit

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Small Prairie, Mar 17, 2007.

1. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Alright, shoes for work then? Or how often have you gone out and bought the cheapest car out there...or fridge...or sofa? See my point? You dont always go out an get the cheapest thing if you want it to last. But people are always banging on about how expensive footplate kit is, when they would happily spend twice the price on something else that will last them a year, when decent overalls might do a decade. And £40-50 isnt much for a jacket AND trousers...

2. Sugar Palm 60526

Sugar Palm 60526 Member

NYMR Driver, NELPG Member
    Try looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-RAIL-TRAI ... dZViewItem

on eBay. If you select 'drivers bag' you get all the drivers' car airbags listed but there are usually a couple of railway bags in the list. Some go for silly prices but there are the usual bargains for bags with the 'lived in' look. A new one from Beesley is rather nice but seems to have the flexibility of MDF for the first ten years of volunteer use.

3. Louth

Louth New Member

Martin

Many Thanks for the tip off re this bag, I have bid on one or two on ebay in the past, and have never been succesful. However on this occassion my friend bid on my behalf, and won it for £16. I don't mind that its not new, as its going to get filthy on a footplate and it is original, not to mention it cost less than £42!!!.

4. Sugar Palm 60526

Sugar Palm 60526 Member

No problem. I have bought all sorts off eBay. In fact I had to stop, I was getting addicted. I've got several copies of the Black Book, and passed them on and diesel manuals which I've kept. I tend to look there first for all sorts of things.

Martin.

5. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    If you go through the ebay link at the top of the forum we also benefit.

6. Sugar Palm 60526

Sugar Palm 60526 Member

That's worth knowing.

7. basher

basher Member

Musician
    It isn't strictly footplate wear, but I couldn't find a suitable thread/board anywhere else around here to put this!

I've recently purchased a few second-hand Bardics, ex BR - without batteries. I know that they only accept a special kind of battery...however I note that JN Beesely advertises an "adaptor", to fit torch batteries. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience of using/fitting them, and if there are any other reccomended batteries, for use in a Bardic?

Cheers in advance, chaps.

8. brit70000

brit70000 Member

The "adaptors" you mention are plastic, mine soon broke, also the three HP2 batteries required don't last as long as the proper batteries which are still available. I get mine from the loco depot at the NVR. I also found it a bit of a pain to buy three HP2 batteries as they tend to come in packs of two or four. There's always one left over!

9. 73096

73096 Member

The proper plastic cases are ok!

10. Louth

Louth New Member

I use a plastic conversion on my bardic and have found it very good, it uses " D " type batteries and they seem to last for a reasonable time I even got a spare bulb for free with mine.

I bought it from ebay, and was going to put a link, but as earlier suggested use the ebay link on here to help the natpres guys and just type in Bardic you should find them easily.

Mine cost around £3.50 including postage.

11. i have just bourght a bib and brace from a shop called engineering& foundry cost £12.50inc vat very good quality and quite comfertable

12. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    Any recomendations as to where to get a BR cap from?

13. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
  14. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    £24 for the cap and £6 for the badge seems a touch steep no?

15. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Price looks about right to me so long as the cap does. I saw Beesley's at Barrow Hill and they were spot-on. Right greasetop material and leather band inside. I don't know about the Longleat ones - look OK in the photo - just make sure they're not topped with that horrible shiny polythene type stuff.

16. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Price is ok in my opinion, was one of the cheaper prices I found. They do though have a shiny top, don't know if it is what Sheff is referring too or not, though mine's now got oil on it and tbh it doesn't look too bad IMHO.

17. Louth

Louth New Member

Price for the Longleat cap is good, however I cannot comment on the quality. I have seen a couple of Beesley caps, and they are quite good.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway shop sell them too, and they are pretty good. Thay also sell the cap badges, and these too are very good.

http://www.shoppersworld.co.uk/template ... 411&d=2297

I can recommend ebay as well, but beware of quality. I recently tried to purchase an original cap from a guy in the USA, and he wanted £35 just to post it and £12 insurance plus £18 for the cap. It maybe was original but just too expensive!

Last but not least make sure it fits properly, so when you stick your head out, it stays on!!

18. the insurance brokers walker midgley sell greasetops for 15 pounds not sure what they are like mind but if any one wants details pm me
    i am not involved with them just a satisfyed customer being with there insurance

19. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    well ive had my Bib and brace for just coming up to a year now , they still fit perfectly , havnt turned pink like overs , still wash ok and have that nice darkish blue still

so i can honestly say the NYMR shop is the place to go for Bib and Brace . and seeing as im satisified with that i will probuly get the grease top from them ( and just to anoy my fireman a GWR badge )

20. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Last Longleat cap I had about 8 months ago has what looks like faux leather on the top, I'm not very impressed!

I have a Beesley cap from about 12 years ago which is now so small my son plays with it. Its perfect though, you would have a hard time telling it from an original.

EDIT: Just a thought, why are overalls only made by waist size? Its a bugger having to buy 42" waist to get the length when my trousers are a 34!! Does anybody know a supplier that does bib n brace (or trousers) with different inside leg sizes?