If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Footplate crew outfit

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Small Prairie, Mar 17, 2007.

1. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    i dont think people want to try and push everyone away and just watch this fourm shut down - as much as i hate some people on here i wouldnt want it shut ...i think what people are saying is if your going to sell it as a greasetop , atleast get a decent greasetop in the shop[/quote:1h1lizw5]

Show me a supplier NOT a retailer. And I will do what you suggest.

2. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Show me a supplier NOT a retailer. And I will do what you suggest.[/quote:2eixczca]

i would but ive already got enough things on my plate to even think about dealing with a shop i have no interest in .

3. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

I also do this, it definitely improves the look. To be honest though I don't tend to wear them any more,as greasetops were something never used by the GWR (least not in the familiar form.) Some years ago I picked up a repro of a propper GW soft-top cap, but I've never been able to track down where it came from. Shame, as it's a nice distinctive bit of kit. I think the company that made these may have been in the Abingdon or Witney area.

4. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Sorry chaps, had a nosey through and havent spotted it but has anybody got Beesley's telephone number and address please. Thanks in advance.

5. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    Details I have, from some time ago, are:

John Beesley, 19 Swing Gate Lane, Berkhamsted, HP4 2LJ.

Tel: 01442 866812

There's a note that says ring after 6pm.

6. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

7. ROD 3030

ROD 3030 New Member

Hi All, I have been following the Greasetop saga with interest. As the GT as we know it seems to have been the result of the LMSisation of our railways in 1948 and to have actually been issued with one means that you would have to be in your late 50s, perhaps a few historical notes may be in order. Re J Compton Sons & Webb, this firm had many subcontractors, I know this for a fact as the Mother of a very good friend of mine used to work in an old chapel building in the Rhondda making GT caps. I have no doubt that there were other subbies involved and this being so, detail variations are bound to be found in the original caps anyway. I have in front of me now 4 GT caps, 2 of which are Comptons, one is a new unused 1966 & the other is my very well used 1968. Whilst the general construction would seem to comply to a spec the peaks, a bought in item, are entirley different. This being so, together with the other usual problems with a mass produced item ie, monday morning, friday afternoon, time of the month etc, we should be careful in which we take to be the standard definitive item. I have only ever seen one new Saunders & Brightman GT and apart from it appearing to be a slightly better made item I cannot comment further. As for repro caps, the J Beesley cap I have is very well made, unfortunatly it was made at the time he was unable to source the supply of hessian stiffners and was made up using the dreaded plastic, this has since been cut out and replaced with fabric. The other Repro cap I have has no makers name in it and whilst being well made with a hessian stiffener,the sweat band is plastic, the cloth is blue in colour and the top is far too glossy. Other caps available seem to be, CW Headress of Witney, to my eye it just dont look right at all and the Chinese horrors that should be left where found, usually alongside the Thomas stock in the shop. I have noted comments re the cost of footplate clothing, I cant see a problem, you must expect to pay for quality. If you use a cheap modern boiler suit ( ex WD are good) for prepwork and change into your best when going off shed, you will treble the life of your overalls and they will work out no more expensive in the end. To try to make a business out of supplying footplate crews must be like trying to breed Dodos. The fact that somebody has gone out and put in the effort to supply good gear at a reasonable price makes me inclined to support him. (I have no connection with John Beesley, other that being a satisfied customer). Other caps ? there was a batch of GWR Enginemans caps made, does anyone have any details? I have a short film made at the very begining of BR days in which the driver is wearing a cap that appears to be made entirely of american cloth,( Thats the shiny stuff on top of the GT), does anyone have any info on these?

8. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

These came in very late on the Western, judging from photos I'd say about 42-43. They normally have the roundel, but you do see one or two that are plain. In the film I believe you speak of, the chap in question appears to have a war service badge on his! (Very good film for detail, also features 5051!) Unfortunately I've never seen an original. As I mentioned earlier, I have one of the repro soft top caps, perhaps they came from CW Headress? I'd love to get hold of another one.

Another BR Midlandisation was the bib and brace, which was generally rejected on the WR in favour of the 'propper' combo of jacket & trousers. Even right at the end of steam, an unsuspecting stores clerk could incur the wrath of certain drivers, should he try and issue them with a bib & brace!

9. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    I thought this might be the appropriate thread to ask about shovels as an extension of a crews out and equipment.

As a cleaner, I am looking at getting myself my own shovel to save me using engine shovels all the time, which to be fair are not the best things in the world.

Bearing in mind I have to contend with the LNER letterbox up on the moors what would anyone recommend and where would you get it from?

Chris

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    It's been discussed earlier this year (see: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12820) although it soon deteriorated into tales of peoples firing experiences!

If you can get hold of one, I still think the best are those with solid forged shafts, certainly when trying to get the coal through rat traps. AFAIK, nobody makes these today, all present suppliers only producing pressed steel ones. Lucas and Bulldog shovels come up on e-bay and at car boots from time to time. Be prepared to pay big money for a decent shovel, even second hand (£130 and upwards) They come in different sizes, as well. Long handled ones for the wide firebox locos and short handled for tank locos, as well as the 'normal' length handles.

It's also been discussed on the NYMR Forum, if you look there, as well.

11. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Cheers thanks for that Steve, I will have a look at the other topics as well, appolgies for not checking them out before hand.

12. Talyllyn07

Talyllyn07 Member

hi all,
    shovels can also be bought from beesley he supplies them to a few mainline engines the 'Duchess of Hamilton' the King and i think 60009 so have ago!
    AT

13. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Ok guys so what are the differences of the different regions for footplate gear?

14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Well, if you're from dah'n sarf, it's de rigueur to wear a red neckerchief. Then the Lancashire lot seem to be happy wearing a hanky on their head. #-o #-o Don't know of any other regional footplate fashions!

15. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    So is there any Yorkshire dress?

16. IndustrialSteamLeeds

IndustrialSteamLeeds Member

your sunday best \:D/

17. well in lancs it seems the norm to drive and fire in sunday best i do it on a regular basis after church on the 7 1/4 inch

18. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    shovle wise ....i would have to recomend hagley hall ....there just plain brilliant ..well i think they are.

if your in your sunday best in yorkshire ....does that mean instead of bacon sandwitchs on the footplate....you have yorkshire pudding instead?

19. IndustrialSteamLeeds

IndustrialSteamLeeds Member

20. rorz101uk

rorz101uk New Member

RVEL Apprentence
    not sure this is the right place to put my question?

Is any making or selling Eastern or North Eastern Shovels?