If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Foxfield Gala 18th & 19th July 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Glenalmond, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Columbine

Columbine Member

I have uploaded my video of the Sunday at the gala and I hope everyone enjoys it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1dqXjGVVMQ

Regards

2. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

As both Steam Gala manager & Chairman of the FLRS I can assure you that I will ask our board to take action if evidence can be provided. PM me please and I will take it from there. I also have good relations with the Charter boys as It is I that run charters at Foxfield ( Florence this Christmas ) and can asure you that if the individual is known acton can be taken.

Our team at the Colliery did a fantastic job, I will have to consider "crowd control" next year however, sad as we have never had anything like this before. We have many of our friends from other railways visiting, information is passed around but I was not aware of this.

Our board have yet to consider detailed plans for next year but the farmer is happy to improve things and gates have arrived for the field. To late for this time however. The colliery with appropriate workings is key to this event. We may well have a passenger gala next year - but that is not this event.

3. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

At the end of Sunday combination of 47, Wimble and No.2 took a half-filled coal wagon and brake to Caverswall Road. It was commented by an observer that if the line required 3 locos for half a wagon it was no surprise the colliery closed.

4. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

I can report that the Heath's whistle has been polished just in case.

The Sunday afternoon shunting of the diplay locos was interesting, as Lewisham, Hawarden, No.11 and Ironbridge made an impressive line up (and possible photo opportunity) by the signal box sidings.

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Were you driving the Beyer on Sunday? Didn't get a chance to come and say hello but we did exchange waves as you approached Foxfield Pit with your first downhill freight working of the day. I was the one with the golden labrador sheltering under the trees. As an avid sound recordist I look forward to the Galas as other lines seldom give the chance to experience double heading and banking on the same train. I now know who to contact if I want to organise another charter and Foxfield. Haven't done one for quite a few years now.

6. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    it would probably be a good idea to put his picture up, apparently hes being tracked, he appears to have upset the wrong people.

7. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Ian,

I was the driver, the owner - a passed fireman, was driving all day under my wing. He was very pleased with his day on the Beyer, her last gala before the end of her ticket in Dec. Happy to talk regarding charters at some point, we have worked together in the past - 10 years ago ???!!!!!. Your engine was still in bits then - first time around.

The Beyer is left hand drive, it would have been John that gave you a wave.

8. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Fortunately I missed the colliery riot!

To remind us what an excellent weekend it was I thought I would share some photos. Hopefully this works....apologies if too big etc etc as first time I have used photobucket.

After a fast journey from Bath taking the cinder path from the car park was like walking back thirty years.

Comparing mounts: [​IMG]

With Hawarden in the shed we might have the loudest engine...

IMG]http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/DFletcher52/foxfieldshed18709lr.jpg[/IMG]

Shades of Cadley Hill. Well they had an RSH, Hunslet 'Austerity' and Florence No 2....

[​IMG]

If this works more to follow.

Best regards,

David

9. Hunslets Finest

IMG]http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/DFletcher52/foxfieldshed18709lr.jpg[/IMG]

Well it nearly worked!

10. Hunslets Finest

Well it worked first time...any hints anyone please?

Thanks,

David

11. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Fantastic two days, despite the weather.

Spamcan81, if you were the bloke with the Labrador I was talking to you in the field before the first train on Sunday - nice to meet you.

Pics will be on my site later this week.

12. 37255

37255 Guest

Missing the opening bracket on the 'IMG]'. Hope this helps, excellent photos! =D>

13. Hunslets Finest

''With Hawarden in the shed we might have the loudest engine...''

[​IMG]

Hopefully works this time....

14. 76079

76079 Member

Does anyone know if Mr Donkin is planning on overhauling No11? Or is he worn out after Florence? lol

Beast of an engine that!!!

15. Hunslets Finest

Thanks George! Hope the MK1 was comfy - it is a long time since I spent a Sat night on the cushions!

Regards,

David

National Grid I was hoping for Meaford on its' own framed by the power lines to Meaford.. As the smoke didn't behave it is one for next year

[​IMG]

Downpour Wasn't sure it was worth the soaking until the next pic!

[​IMG]

The Perfect Pair Wimblebury proves nothing is louder than an 'Austerity'. A few magic moments!

[​IMG]

What is the next move? A rare burst of sunlight as I was having the crack with the Tanfield massive
    [​IMG]

135 years old (with a few rebuilds) and still going strong!

[​IMG]

Remains Engine and brake head home at the end of the day.

[​IMG]

16. 37255

37255 Guest

You're welcome! Decided to head home for the night in the end, maybe just as well given some of the antics I heard about in... or should I say "on"?... our visitors' tents! \:D/

17. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

David many thanks, easy to dwell on the only ( I hope ) low point of the weekend. Many Foxfield members will be on this forum tonight looking at the event through the eyes of you guys. It takes a lot for a small team to put on a event of this nature,

18. Coal Sector

Coal Sector New Member

another cracking gala lads. Great Event. Cafe & Bar Great.
    Voulenteers Great laugh.
    Thanks Very Much.

47 Cracking Engine, nice to see Backworth Engine Working Really Hard.
    (not saying another others don't 8-[ )
    Meaford Surpried me, cracking engine living up to its GWR coff coff :-# RS&H routes.

thanks again.

i would say looking forward to next year but going to Donnington Festivial Next. \:D/

19. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No.11 is in the queue, Mr Donkin was bonding with her again when she was out of the shed and given a spruce on the Saturday morning but I think he's realised what Florence is capable of this weekend. Rumours abound that he was grinning from ear to ear following Florence's banking turn on the big freight =D>

20. Hunslets Finest

Talking of Florence's banking turn:

Looks can be deceptive 265 years old and making easy work of the 18 wagons with a little help from a more modern friend!

[​IMG]

Steam is inefficient? Florence certainly came into her own this year with loud claggy runs. Bagnall tried to make steam competitive and with a Giesel is this the ultimate steam engine designed for the NCB?

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for putting on such a great show. Hopefully I will be able to offer some help next year!

David