If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Foxfield Gala 18th & 19th July 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Glenalmond, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ha P&JR, if you'd had a go I think you'd change your tune! we nearly repainted Lewisham grey and sent her off on Bristol to keep Portbury, lovely machine! And that's from a devout Bagnall man! \:D/

2. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

I think that 2842 will be in with a chance next year, a shy engine hiding with Marston in the yard

3. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

It is perhaps worth pointing out that the Tanfield coach's wont be around for Gala. They are there for the knotty coach trust so its either this weekend or next if you want to sample them !.

4. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Do you mean that the Tanfield coaches will be running on 6th & 7th June as well as 13th/14th mentioned on the Foxfield web-site and the Knotty Coach Fund thread? If so, I may well pop in on Saturday between shots of 60007 on the Cathedrals Express to Chester. How much of the line will they be operating over? All the way to the colliery? TIA.

5. 37255

37255 Guest

Can't comment on the first question unfortunately, but I would imagine services (whichever stock is used) will be Caverswall Road - Dilhorne Park only.

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Looking at the web-site, the timetable page shows just the museum open on Saturday, no trains. Never mind.

7. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Sorry about that - not running this Saturday. Hope to confim that the bayer is running on Sunday soon as a preview for the main event the following week.

8. Avonside1563

Glenalmond, you of all people should know that it's Beyer not Bayer!!!! #-o

9. Avonside1563

Guys, how many of the Tanfield Massive are planning to descend on us? We will need to make sure the bar is suitably stocked! \:D/

10. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Quite a few if we dont send the coach's back on Monday !!.

11. Watchdog

Watchdog Member

We were trying to work it all out in the causey the other night, and it looks like a ridiculus number of 12! ... However im sure we will confirm orders abit closer to the event \:D/

(Thats almost a bulk order of t-shirts! 8-[ )

12. Avonside1563

Ah yes, the Tshirts.... I'm sure you will have something good up your sleeves after the appearance of the Foxfield SCRAPpers at your do last year #-o

13. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

The Knotty coach weekend was a great sucess and has really wet our appetite to get our 2 vintage four wheelers restored. That will be great at gala in a few years time when we will be able to showcase these with our smaller engines that are currently being restored and to keep them in active traffic for years to come!

But the big engines are needed as you have seen at our gala and will be part of the highlight of the weekend, the 18 wagon slog on Saturday up the hill and back to Caverswall Road.

Looking like it will be great gala as always in the height of the summer.

Rich

14. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to my first visit to the Foxfield. I've never really been into industrial stuff but last year when I read on these pages about people's experience of last year's gala I thought I'd give it a try. For nearly a year it's been in the book as a must do event of the year and my train ticket has been bought so I'm definitely coming. I'm pretty interested in seeing this rather steep bank that gets the locos talking. Here's hoping it's a good one.

Cheers,

Paul

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    If you like full bore thrash then the Foxfield Gala will not disappoint. It matters not a jot that the locos were never owned by BR or the "Big Four."
    Sadly for me it clashes with the IAT at Fairford but if I've got some decent pictures of the Vulcan before then I'll head Foxfield way.

16. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

You can't beat a couple of little locos going hell for leather with a heavy train behind up the bank. Short it maybe but the sights and sounds are something that are remembered for years to come.

The best experience for me was slogging up their Florence on one evening, with a heavy mixed train on during a training run. Wow, it could have been 10 miles long it took that long but what a sound! O it does clag by the way for those of you haven't seen it yet....

Rich

17. Avonside1563

Best runs up the bank for me have been late evening/night ones. There was one after a charter at the colliery bringing Robert Heath No.6 and some minerals back; we set off in the floodlights of the photographers and were in the dark as soon as we left them. Glorious stuff! I believe you could hear it echoing round the colliery buildings for several minutes! =D>

More recently taking Bellerophon back at 1am after the first day's filming two weeks ago.... fantastic stuff. =P~

Hmmm, night runs up the bank at gala? Now there's something to think about :-k

18. 76079

76079 Member

I dont know Nigel, that photo charter with 4388 and Lewisham a few years ago has to be a contender!, very early morning with sub zero temperatures and the mist just begining to clear was a bit gorgeous! the mist was that thick i swear the bark of the exhausts echo'd off it.

Brake van was nice and warm though \:D/

19. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Come on, let's face it. Lewisham can never fail to please anyone. A truly awesome little engine and the sooner we get the old girl back in trafficthe better. It is defenitly missed by most Foxfield crews who don't own Austerities....... 8-[ Any funding contributions anyone..... [-o<

Rich

20. P&amp;JR

P&amp;JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    Can we reserve some space in the far corner of the car park for our version of tent city? Mind you I'm sure it'll be quite advanced by the standards of you southerners! \:D/