If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Foxfield Gala 18th & 19th July 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Glenalmond, Jan 1, 2009.

1. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

The classic location is part way up Foxfield Bank, although with track through the colliery there are now some goods shots to be had against the headgears- quite often the fire is still burning through here, so this gives the best chance of clag.

Also, as the sun comes round later in the afternoon the top of the bank on the right-hand side near Dilhorne Park station provides for good shots.

2. 37255

37255 Guest

In all honesty, I'd walk rather than waiting for a bus. It's 10 minutes fast walk, take the road opposite the station (signposted) and you can't miss it!

EDIT Something like this! http://www.freewebs.com/37255/Picture 4.png

3. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

It all works like clockwork ( ! ), we pick up on SAT ONLY from Blythe Bridge, making connections to suit. It is only 10 mins walk ( if that ) to Caverswall road. Same bus runs to the colliery - again to suit the frieghts that slog up the bank each 45 mins. In between the returning train drops down, locos are changed over as are the rakes. Shunting in a colliery yard !,

4. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just to clarify Glenalmonds post above, the bus link connects with Blythe Bridge Network Rail on Saturday only (due to the Sunday service on NR being non-existant) but will operate from Caverswall Road Station to Foxfield Colliery ON BOTH days.

Yes the section from Dilhorne Park to the colliery is Foxfield Bank. We do not currently run the full extent of the section from Caverswall Road station down to Blythe Bridge Exchange but there will be a demonstration freight in action at Caverswall Road station which will disappear into the cutting and hopefully under the road bridge to keep people entertained whilst the passenger train is out. We try to make sure there is something happening as much as possible.

5. mk1hater

mk1hater Member

B&B??? You need a tent...true Foxfield Style! Make yourself known though, we'll be the drunken idiots at the bar...(by about mid-day) oh also the North Eastern accent gives us away.......

6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Any news of a timetable yet? Just start and finish times would be ok for the time being. Cheers!

7. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Will be available in detail at both ends of the railway over the w/e.

First moves 09.00 each day off caverswall , first passenger 10.00. Last run up the bank 17.30 ish.

Backworth No47 has arrived, looks great in authentic NCB blue. Nice loco and a credit to all those involved in her restoration.

8. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
  9. Avonside1563

Working timetables and guides for the Gala will be available on the weekend for purchase as long as you have a valid rover ticket.

10. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

No.47 is in steam today undergoing it's pre-flight checks and looks good in the sun this afternoon!!

Rich

11. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Ran a charter with No 47 yesterday, what a machine. I could be converted to RSH !. This machine sounds fantastic, looks good and will a real treat this weekend when she teams up with Wimble.

The bank is clear at Foxfield ( as clear as I have ever seen it thanks to the pway gang ), some work to do around bank top - thinking of having a go on wednesday eve - if you can help please PM. May also try and get a few hours on Friday.

We have everything in place for a fantastic gala, dont miss it !

12. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    3 of us travelling down from Mankyland first doors saturday, looking forward to it =D>

13. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the event and gald to see it all coming together nicely . With our recent addition to the family we won't be staying over this year (and why I didn't make the charter) but lets hope for a sunny saturday. With rain forecast all this week if there is any sun the light should be nice and clear.

No.47 looks a little special and will no doubt look and sound great with Wimbers on 18 - no bankers please!

Are there any discounts on tickets this year for members etc?

The West Country continghency will see you all there bright and breezy on Saturady for bacon rolls and coffees.

Cheers,

14. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Be nice to see you all again.

Life members are free, members half price @ £6.00 per day ( bring cards please as you will find one or two new faces on the gate ) any problems you know who to ask for. As ever this event always has a risk element, however we try to ensure that its good value for money and a show worth visiting.

For the record adults are £12.00, Concessions £9.00, Children under 16 £6.00, rover tickets valid all day and cover both ends of the railway, transfer coach and access to the bank via our new path !.

Loco crews will be in the buffet at around 07.30 - Full English !.

Shed tours running both days, Knotty coach trust, IRS ( must go to the hole in wall Friday ) + others stands including the Patriot group.

The grape vine tells me that there are to be at least 13 visitors from Tanfield so you may need to learn the lingo before hand.

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I intend to spend the day on the bank. WIll working timetables be on sale at Dilhorne?

16. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

That will be contingent...check email before pressing send!

Thanks for the gen Dave. As always I am sure it will be the steam event of the Summer (although Tangmere on 12 up Upwey on its' own is a close second this year ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXiSfEn6 ... PL&index=9

If anyone is wondering what the fuss is about have a look at the above. Now what were you going to be doing around 1700 on Sat ?? Make a visit you won't regret it.

I might have to limit my IRS spend this year but if the cover is anything to go by the NCB Durham book is on the list...also may consider a life membership for the free gala entry if it is to continue.

Tanfield massive - got some prints of the Jan charter for you and the No.49 team. Can I trust you with them or will they left in the bar/tent/drunken mess!

Cheers,

17. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Timetables will be on sale at Dilhorne.

Nice link - I got to see that run last year !.

Yes Gala will continue, as Gala manager I can say that !. We have our slot and folk like what we do. As ever we have to bring in a profit, we have a good solid visitor base - if folk carry on coming I can justify the effort that the whole of the membership put in. Most get to see nothing but are proud that this puts on the map.

18. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

I was quite happy to be the steady on Meaford's regulator that afternoon!! Great run!

Rich

19. mk1hater

mk1hater Member

Last count....16! We are requesting a corner of the field for tents!!! Not quite sure where you will be parking cars thought we have a fair few tents!

20. Avonside1563

Better annex a corner of staffordshire for you!