If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Foxfield Gala 18th & 19th July 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Glenalmond, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

For those that are camping I would appreciate it if you could pitch as close to the mound ( next to the box ) as you can. If you can group together to save space it would help.

I will be around on all day on Friday, I am sure that you guys will help us out - with luck we will need all the field for parking over the weekend. On the basis that most of Tanfields working members will be visiting I have to ask if you will still be open back at base ?.

I had better get to the IRS stand before you guys buy all the latest north eastern publications.

2. 37255

37255 Guest

More to the point, if there's noone around, they won't notice if a few of their coaches mysteriously disappear ;-) Quick coat of paint and the knotty project has taken a huge leap forward \:D/

3. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    Yes we'll still be running, got three coach loads turning up at 10am so it's Renishaw Ironworks No. 6 on six carriages so no you can't have any! I think we've got a good bit of what in football would be described as strength in depth in our team! \:D/

As for the IRS stand... think we've all made the purchase of the latest testament (the Co. Durham book) but for anyone out there who hasn't bought... buy it now but don't expect any early nights in the near future!

As for space in the field my last estimate was four cars and a van so we're not too bad at the car sharing thing at least! Oh and that total of 15 is just the camping out total by the way... we're expecting another couple at least to be there on one day only and of course the owner of No. 47 is a Tanfield fireman so we may yet hit the 20 mark by the end of the weekend! I'll put a round of drinks on you guys not being able to beat that for our gala?!?

4. Watchdog

Watchdog Member

NEWS FLASH - Primark has just sold out of White T-shirts! And by the way Mr P&JR, its not just 4 cars and a van ... its 4 cars, a van and a gazebo!

Hows the pre-gala nerves going guys? Everything running smoothly so far .. looking forward to the usual memorable event!!

5. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

No problems at all !. 8-[

6. mk1hater

mk1hater Member

NEWSFLASH - Primark hasn't sold out of Tee-shirts...YET! as for the Gazebo...im not touching it! Hope there will be enough breakfast for us on saturday...can't beat a Foxfield breakfast!

7. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

There will be, I will ensure that the buffet know the score.

8. 37255

37255 Guest

I was going to make a comment about Dave putting the final finishing touches on to Dubs tonight, but maybe next year eh? ;-)

9. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Next year she WILL be running and we will do something special. Not empty words - boiler is ready for tubes after fitting of new barrel, tube plate, side plates, copper box re fitted. restayed and rivetted, new longitudinal stays & steam pipe refitted.

Tyres, cranks & journals turned, axle boxes rebuilt. Loco back on wheels, brakes fully overhauled ( including the smashed brake cylinder ), dumb buffers back on with new oak beams etc. New bearings for rods cast, smashed r/h side cylinder has been bored off site and the liner is awaited. Left hand piston refitted and laird crosshead alligned. Eccentrics overhauled and refitted. Slewing engine rebuilt, jib ready for refitting.

New smoke box wrapper has ready for fitting, door repaired and rehung. So, still a great deal to do but It is going to happen next year !.

When finished the first job is to use dubsy to remove parts from Hawarden...

10. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  11. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Top of the bank is clear - I think that there may be a bonfire before the w/e. Some funny looking cows with horns in the bank top area tonight...

12. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Any chance of some North Staffs Oatcakes in the buffet for breakfast? A real treat we can not get down West!

13. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    looking forward to a Foxfield breakfast =D>

14. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Just had work that the IRS can only make Sat.

Not long now, engines will be lit up on Friday afternoon.

The song remains the same.

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    As I won't be getting my WTT until I arrive on Sunday morning, is anyone prepared to tell me what time the first freight is off of Dilhorne? I've a fair distance to come but wouldn't want to arrive late.

16. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Ian,

I dont think I am giving a great deal away by saying that you should be a Dilhorne by 09.30. Say hello if you see me - I will be driving the Beyer on Sunday on its last gala before strip down.

17. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

PS If it turns out that you arnt Ian (!) say hello anyway !!

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Cheers mate. Looks like an 07:00 start for me so that's not too bad at all. I'll keep an eye out for you on the Beyer. I'll probably have my golden Labrador with me so he'll say hello too.

19. mk1hater

mk1hater Member

TANFIELD MASSIVE UPDATE:

some are already en-route, we shall be landing later tonight...after work #-o Make sure the Fosters is on tap!!!

Due to shear volume of Tanfield Massive attendees T-Shirts will be rather basic this year...but effective \:D/

20. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Right then - two challenges one regarding this forum - you know the bet, I will declare if we hit 6K to give you a sporting chance.

The second, applies to all our readers, a free pint per mention of people / groups who get a mention on radio 1 & 2 or local radio whilst on the road to our gala. Rules are that the person who makes the call gets the pint, Foxfield must be mentioned as being in stoke on trent. Ring the boys and tell them to have a go !.

Verification by honest people required !!. Thats it - off the railway.