If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

FR & WHR & WHHR News

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by AndrewT, Jul 17, 2012.

1. meeee

meeee Member

Rebuilding the Croesor Tramway requires access to the WHR though. So if you've already got that why would you bother spending a load of money rebuilding yet another railway?

2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Well, I was assuming a level of inter-working on the bit between what would become two 'branches'. If you're saying that that's a level of cooperation that doesn't exist, well then that is a shame; I thought that had all been resolved years ago, but I could be wrong (I have yet to visit since the WHR was reopened throughout!)
    My thinking, though, was that it 'would be nice' (yes, that) if the WHHR trains had a decent run, but I presume pathing them up the main line towards Beddgelert on anything more than an occasional basis would wreak havoc with the FfR/WHR timetable and thus isn't really an option. Whereas if they can be terminated in an out-of-the-way location at each end of a shorter trip, that should work.

3. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was surprised to see in a recent Youtube that the junction points appear to be worked by scrabbling about in the ballast. Wouldn't making the signal box operational, even as aground frame, improve the shining hour?
    Pat

4. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

It’s only been used about three times, so probably not worth the effort

MuzTrem likes this.
  5. Selsig

Selsig Member

And it's not like it isn't on the radar of those that deal with the WHR signalling - it's just that it requires quite a lot of thought regarding interlocking with both Pen y Mount loop on the WHHR and Cae Pawb on the RhE, agreement on working methodology, additional token instruments in the Port - Pont Croesor section etc etc etc. It's on the list, and when the signalling projects that need finishing first on the FWHR network get done (Dinas signalling, Caernarfon signalling, finishing MicroETS, Lotties Crossing are the ones I can think of straight off the top of my head, along with continuing maintenance) and the stars align with both S&T departments at the same time, it will happen. Just don't hold your breath! If through working becomes a priority, it'll move up the list I'm sure.

John

6. meeee

meeee Member

Well you're already occupying the Pont Croesor- Beddgelert section to run to Croesor Junction so it doesn't really help with pathing. Running to Hafod-y-llyn or Pont Croesor would effectively do the same thing with existing infrastructure. No need to build an expensive new railway to nowhere when there already is one.

MuzTrem likes this.
  7. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    The Welsh Highland Heritage Railway's RUSSELL on the Ffestiniog Railway:

ragl likes this.
  8. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Even in its simplest iteration, it would still be quite a bit of hassle for the people who actually have to implement it. Websites would have to be updated to let people know that the option is available. Working instructions for guards and drivers would have to be updated. Ticket office staff would have to be briefed. All for the sake of providing an option which I suspect very few, if any, passengers would actually take up. I'm sure the hard working staff and volunteers of both railways have more important things to be doing. For goodness sake, let them get on with their jobs.

9. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

You'd split that bit into two sections Pont Croesor - Croesor Junction and Croesor Junction - Beddgelert. Then when the RhE train is in the CJ-B bit you can run the WHHR train through the other bit. So that's how it helps pathing. Then when the RhE train needs the PC-CJ bit, the WHHR train is nicely out of the way at whichever end, where it can run round and faff about for as long as it takes without being in the way.
    I'm not saying it's a good idea or there is a need for it... it's pure WIBN, obviously. Well, unless the Croesor Tramway actually goes somewhere interesting or useful. Which it doesn't appear to, without going up at least the first incline or two.
    In which case my WIBN fantasy also now includes an element of cable haulage. Well, it would be different! ;-)

10. 45669

Retired
    WELSH PONY departing from Harbour Station:

ragl likes this.
  11. 45669

Retired
    MERDDIN EMRYS and RUSSELL double head a train into Platform 2 at Porthmadog Harbour Station:

RedDragonofLondon likes this.
  12. 45669

Retired
    A short video of MOELWYN departing from Harbour Station with a passenger train:

13. 45669

Retired
    A ride on the Welsh Highland Railway from Pen-y-Mount Junction to Pont Croesor:

Ron.

ragl likes this.
  14. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Paul42 likes this.
  15. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
  16. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  17. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Does the FR post a loco roster of what will be running in advance? Will be there in just over a week for my first visit. Booked on the Mountain Spirit in the morning. Very much looking forward to our first UK trip since early 2018. It’s been a while and we can’t wait to get somewhere new as I’ve never been to the Ffestiniog.

Cheers,

Stephen

18. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    They normally post the loco allocations on Facebook at the beginning of each week, eg.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/UNTkYo4VGCyxTkiK/

SG-Canada likes this.
  19. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

I asked last week by email about hop on and off and was told that this wasn't possible on the woodland wanderer service.

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

20. 45669

Retired
    Double-Fairlie 0-4-4-0T MERDDIN EMRYS and a train of vintage carriages departing from Beddgelert:

neil s likes this.