If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

FREE Pacific Steam Locomotive (full size)

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by SR-Simon, Dec 8, 2010.

1. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own your own steam locomotive, and all for free.

Available is a Pacific steam locomotive, number 1060 (as pictured), comes complete with tender and coupling rods. This is surplus to requirements at EOR (we have two, so only one will be used as a static exhibit), and is available and ready for immediate collection from Ongar station, Essex.

NO timewasters. Locomotive is taken as a whole item, no breaking up on-site.

Further details, please call EOR on 01277 365200 P1030199.JPG P1030203.JPG P1030201.JPG

2. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

For any buyers interested but put off by it being a pacific, it actually appears to be a Mikado - 2-8-2. Its probably worth mentioning that it isnt Standard Guage either.

Simon, has it been advertised in Finland where i seem to remember she came from?

Chris

3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

What happened to the red Finnish loco which was steamed a few times at Ongar station? It was in a temporary shed where the bay platform is now.

4. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

Sorry, was in rush to get to a meeting. Yes, it is Finnish gauge and a 2-8-2.

This is the first time of being advertised, I am afraid I don't know where to advertise it in Finland - please feel free to pass on the advert to anyone who may be interested. Please note time is of the essence here....

Is there any loco owning groups that would find the parts useful? (as stated before they would have to take the whole item "as is").

Regards, Simon
    P.S. The red Finnish locomotive moved to pastures new in 2008. The wooden shed was taken down (before the wind changed direction and it fell down!), to allow us to restore the milk dock / bay platform as we are keen to have the additional platform and return the vista at Ongar to as close as we can make it.

5. ssoap

ssoap New Member

Funny you say that but think I remember seeing something with a similar description to that for sale in Steam magazine...it could be the same one? 9 grand was the asking price, and it was 5 foot gauge too.

6. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If its only good for spares, then a few details /sizes would help people find out spares 'for what', might be interested in the wheels...

7. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    If the loco can not return to Finland couldn't the next home for this be Railworld? They are telling the story of railways in the world, including the variations of gauge.

8. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

... if you can pass on the contact details of Railworld, or indeed alert them to this thread so they can get in touch with me, then I would be most grateful. Time is of the essence.

Regards, Simon

9. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    I know that the loco in question is not from the UK and neither, to my eyes, does it appear to be of UK design, but why would the NRM at York not be interested in it, especially if the cost is minimal? I know that it would need to be cosmetically restored to a certain standard and it would need to be transported to its new home, which would not be cheap. However, it would look good as a "finished" loco, so to speak, at York as an example of a european steam loco. Why not ask the NRM? After all, they have spent enough of our money on a certain LNER pacific which should have been put on static display and a modern replica built in my view!

10. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

We don't have enough space...sorry. Or there would be all sorts in there by now, from all corners of the world! ;-)

11. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

plus the fact that its not standard gauge and therefore not an easy engine to move if you had to shunt it to change the layout of the museum

Some Finnish engines were designed to be capable of being re gauged to standard gauge, but because of the hight and other clearances would only be of use to railways such as the Nene Valley

12. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  13. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    And I thought it was the National Railway Museum, not the International one!!

14. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    OK, point taken. However there is a chinese loco in the NRM at present but it was, of course, built in the UK!

It would seem to me that the NRM isn't big enough. Small chance of it getting any bigger in this current economic climate.

15. stan the man

stan the man Member

Perhaps bressingham museum may be interested?

Surely is she is going for free someone can offer her a good home... or indeed a home.

Stan

16. Miff

I'd love to know the full story of how the Finnish locos came to Ongar and what the original plans for them were. Perhaps somebody will tell it one day. One of them was`kept in working order and I believe the owner also operated steam excursions in Finland at various times.

17. stan the man

stan the man Member

I think they were something do with an enterprise called steam traction services based near sudbury. I went to see them when they had just come back from Finland and at least one was in steam. I understand the locos were destined for a tourist attraction in Cornwall called frontier city but for some reason it went balls up.

Stan

18. SR-Simon

SR-Simon New Member

Just a quick update. Due to a misunderstanding between the loco owner and myself, I misunderstood his intensions.
    He wishes to part with it at its "scrap value", i.e. with no margin on it (rather than "at no cost").
    I am currently trying to get a scrap valuation for it.
    May I apologise for any inconvenience caused, and hope that there is still some interest in saving this impressive looking machine.
    Regards, Simon, EOR.

19. Miff

Bumping this thread as the loco is still available and under threat of scrapping. Contact Simon (post above).

The loco is not a Pacific, nor is it free (see earlier posts). I belive it is Tr1 class Mikado 1060 (Finnish 5'0" gauge).