If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Fully Coaled Withdrawn Loco's

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by david1984, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    I've read in varios memoirs at some sheds such as Salisbury, crews were told to throw all tools over the side and labourers came round with wheel barroes and colletced them all.
    Why the authorities did that and what was done with them I don't know.

2. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    A local (Andover) Scrap dealer even in the Mid Eighty's was selling unused BR(w) firing shovels, It was an Aladdin's cave of tools and machinery.

Ian H

paullad1984 likes this.
  3. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Bury's steam shed was demolished too. The one you see today is the former electric car workshop, which stood alongside

4. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Not so many years ago, several DMU's were preserved from the London area. One vehicle arrived at its new home with full fuel tanks, the throttle and gear selector had been removed making it 'unusable', but both were in the van area. Wiring had been snipped down the connector rail, making it an easy repair. The partner unit on the other hand came from Derby, had nearly empty tanks, and the wiring had been cut through with bolt croppers. Enquiries revealed that NSE had declared that all 1st gen DMU's leaving the depot had to have their tanks filled, so the depot staff had carried out their instructions....

paullad1984 and Jamessquared like this.