If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Future Plans

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Broomhalla, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

Now that sheldon is up and running does the NRM have any further plans for York? If so what can we expect in the future since on a recent visit to York i found the NRM to be a well laid out museum if not a little cramped in the food court area.

Also is there any plans to do a display on Barry Scrapyard and the importance it's played on Railway preservation in this country?

2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Has the NRM got any plans to open a museum in or around London Area?
    8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

3. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

All I can say at the moment is expect a redisplay in the not too distant future. As for plans to open another museum/store (which is what Shildon is), there is no money to do this. Shildon is a partnership with the local council. Further partnerships are always possibilities, but there are none on the table at present - and they must be serious, financed ones, not just an "I think there should be a branch of the NRM in XYZ because..." idea.

Besides, with our active loans programme, there are many places across the country - over 300 - where you can find NRM artefacts.

Barry Scrapyard - again, let's see. It is a possibility.

4. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
  5. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    You could, technically, call the Science Museum as an outstation for the NRM collection :smt003

Regards,

Dan

6. Anthony Coulls

7. Broomhalla

Thank you for the answer and it would be nice to have a proper display telling the story of Barry scrapyard. But in the future will Winston Churchill be given some much needed cosmetic repairs as on my last visit i found the engine in quite a bad way what with the patch on the cab and rust on the smoke deflectors.

8. Anthony Coulls

Churchill's ok. It's dry, displayed and has had any loose bits repaired/refixed. It's not a hazard and it's not at risk, but thanks for the concern.

9. Broomhalla

Can i at least be assured that it's at least on a list of engines in the main museum that are going to get some attention in the near future once certain high profile overhauls are completed I.E. Scotsman. It's just that it's not esactly out of the way and the patch plate and lack of windows is quite noticable as is the holes in the smoke deflectors (At the base where they join withe casing). Of course i understand that the NRM has limited resourses and cannot do everything it would like to do.

Back on the subject of future plans is there any plans for the station/cafe area?

10. Anthony Coulls

Churchill's windows have been missing for a long time. The battered cladding is secure but 100% original - as it was, compared to all the ex-Barry pacifics which have perforce had new sheets fitted. It is not deteriorating as it stands.

As for plans for the Station Hall/Cafe, as before, watch this space. :-#

11. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I was watching the funeral train on Youtube and the cladding looked awfuly battered... lovely, it should never be replaced :)

12. Anthony Coulls

And so it won't. Went and had a look between meetings today and it'swonderfully lived in. A real loco...

13. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

If you will forgive my ignorance, how did it become battered in the first place?

14. Anthony Coulls

Everyday use over 20 years on the big railway. Simple as that.