If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR Ending of Lineside Passes, ex-Bridge that Gap: Great Central Railway News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by LMarsh1987, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well there was Paul Riley, who died 42 years ago when linesiding on the SVR because of his own behaviour, which was not only dangerous in itself but occurred in a location that's now banned to linesiders. In brief: he decided to have a nap in the cess, on Victoria Bridge, and fell off it whilst asleep.

Coincidentally I was chatting last night to another user of this forum, about the GCR situation; he pointed out that some of Riley's classic shots may be great photos but clearly show a disregard for his own safety that are prohibited by modern PTS rules - taking photos standing in the 4ft with his back to oncoming traffic, for example. Photographers taking daft risks is not a new thing.

Monkey Magic, Matt37401 and Greenway like this.
  2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Hard to roll out of a cess by the very nature of what it was . The variant I heard was the bridge parapet itself

TseTT likes this.
  3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I think you’ll find that the question of consideration is irrelevant to the duty of care. While I accept your logic regarding the ability of grown adults to take responsibility for themselves, there is also a moral component. My sympathy for a Darwin Awards candidate is minimal, but there are also those left behind and those unwillingly caught up in an incident - bystanders, train crew, passengers - who have done nothing to deserve their fate. The issue of duty of care extends to them too.

If as is suggested the GCR are being faced with evidence of persistent misuse, I won’t blame them for suspending the scheme given it is self evident that existing enforcement is not working effectively enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

I would have thought charters are different as they are a more 'controlled' situation, I'm sure @Sidmouth has plenty of insight on this.

Away from railways I am involved in Orienteering, whenever we put on an event/race we have to complete a risk assessment in order to be covered by the British Federation's insurance. This document lays out the responsibility that the participant has for their safety, and where we as a club/organisers have a duty of care. Obviously a bit different as we are a sport where people take part at their own risk, though some people might treat photography as a competitive sport!

5. Forestpines

Mmm, I was a bit unsure what terminology to use. Victoria Bridge doesn't have a parapet you could lie on, though - they're really just railings. My assumption was that he had laid down alongside the track and rolled under the railings.

6. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    In the real days of working steam, one could obtain a 'walking permit' for the lineside with traffic going at much higher speeds, no hi-vis required either, obviously a no-no today

7. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    The variant you heard was correct. I knew Paul Riley and he was of another age when people could enjoy themselves, his death had nothing to do with linesiding at all. I have never seen a picture of his where he was in the four foot and with his back to the traffic. He was well known to a lot of railwaymen and often sent them prints of his efforts. The main danger to himself was his weakness for climbing anything that could be climbed, high walls up trees anything. Very similar to his pal Gerry Dixon back then people just went out and enjoyed themselves. Today the tut tut brigade criticise him for jamming the ball valve to over fill Dillicar troughs to get his classic shot of Alberta with tender overflowing. He freed it up afterwards and no damage was done.
    Back in the 60s trespass on the railway was down without a second thought and in the case of loco sheds mostly officialdom turned a blind ey

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Many photographers of that era had them. Imagine line siding on Holloway Bank these days.

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I wonder whether the passengers in the leading coach saw it that way!

Tom

michaelh, TseTT, Platform 3 and 4 others like this.
  10. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.

I can confirm that Paul was asleep on the stone parapet that leads to the actual bridge, I was the fireman on the next train across and was the first to identify the casualty. I had been with Paul the previous evening chatting about Wakefield and its pubs and knew that he would be at Victoria bridge. I day that is firmly imprinted on my memory.

oddsocks and Forestpines like this.
  11. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    As one linesider who had the last lineside permit issued by the then BR's Liverpool Division in 1990 I can assure you that it was only granted after I had been fully tested on the appropriate rules and I believe the same applied in earlier BR days. My permit was withdrawn at privatisation because of the new access rules, although I believe Brian Morrison pointed out his permit was "for life" hence his subsequent freelance employment as an official lineside photographer for the area covered by his permit.

Going back to Chris Milner's reported comment, I would suspect that any "press events" would see visitors accompanied by qualified GCR personnel else they would be unable to hold "press events".

12. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    As a pass holder I fully understand and accept the GCR decision. The thing that concerns me is that people will still access the lineside without any regulation/control at all, making the whole thing a more difficult problem. You only have to look at the numbers lineside on the ELR to see how it will pan out. I don't think Leicestershire police will be falling over themselves to prioritise any calls they get in that respect.

SouthWestMainline and jnc like this.
  13. Forestpines

Thank you for the confirmation. I had misunderstood and thought he had fallen from the bridge itself, not the abutment.

14. Drop_Shunt

Drop_Shunt New Member

Perhaps, perhaps not. What is certain is that from 1 Jan 2019 it wil be very easy to identify photographs on social media, in print, etc., which have been taken illegally.

It will also be easy for staff to identify and remove/report trespassers.

Finally, the big difference between someone with officially permitted access to the railways infrastructure, and a trespasser, is that the railway will suffer little or no censure if they bowl over a trespasser. Fore example, RAIB barely even require to be notified of a dead trespasser, but it is a very different matter with someone with authority to on or about the line.

Steve, GWR4707, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  15. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    The follow on to yesterday's question about how many pass holders there may be is of course how frequently those who use(d) them do and more importantly when.
    I'm sure that most contributors to this thread have been at gala events (anywhere) and noted the numbers lineside, yet go back 24 hours later and odds are you will be alone. Now there is no criticism of anyone timing their visits to any heritage line to maximise the opportunity of photography (and hopefully travel) but there is something counter intuitive about the highest numbers being lineside on the busiest days. Like @David_likes_trains I don't find the decision surprising even if I do find it sad that the popularity of the lineside pass privilege is contributory to it's downfall.

David likes trains likes this.
  16. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

I'm not sure it would be a police matter, You would know more than me but criminal trespass I thought only applied to the national network and on a heritage line it's civil trespass.

Landshrew and Forestpines like this.
  17. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    That's not strictly the case, but I've explained it so many times on this forum down the years, I just can't be bothered to fight off those who think they know better (not aimed at you John).

The Green Howards likes this.
  18. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

I obviously missed your previous explanation.

19. Sidmouth

From a charter perspective Safety is paramount . I want participants to go home in the same condition they arrive (hopefully happier and a little more tired !) To aid this I have method statements , risk assessments , many railways cover events under their insurance as it keeps all events under a single umbrella . Mention rail to an insurer and £££000 get added to the price

Railways are increasingly sending an operations lead out with us who coordinates all movements and ensures participants are in positions of safety.

David likes trains likes this.
  20. Sidmouth

couple of other points

given policing levels I suspect private railway trespass is lower down the list of activities needing attention . Without a tangible threat or reality of prosecution people will make a judgement call that the risk is worth taking

second if you look at the age profile of photographers many are in the maturing nicely category in terms of age . For every one who is fit and healthy , another has mobility challenges with Hips and Knees . As @Johnb observed recently to me , some bodies have been well lived in more than others

60017 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.