If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR TPO set

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Sidmouth, May 12, 2014.

1. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    you will note I have unapproved a number of posts . I've asked the moderators to check something and an individual concerned for more information

18:19 posts reapproved as information received is satisfactory

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    I only hope that whatever concerned you at each time you observed a problem was reported to whoever should know at the time. Otherwise, can I just say that suddenly this thread has turned into a 'thought police' type debate that I'd prefer to stay clear of.

A general point though. I have no idea whether the railway (national or heritage) is any safer now than it was say forty years ago. Neither do I know whether as a result of the many directives linked to health, safety or just common sense, the system is actually any better off either. No doubt worrying things happen now as they did then. The difference is that more is made of incidents now with the aim of alerting people and preventing it happening although how successful that actually is would be interesting to measure.

Re - moving trains. Some while back I recall that a railwayman jumped down from the cab of a Pacific at Eastleigh as it rolled through (because it was not scheduled to stop and had slowed to drop him off) but in so doing his encounter with a ground signal left him rather bruised. Everyone knows it shouldn't have happened and was potentially dangerous as did the individual concerned. I assume that no enquiry was held (because it wasn't reported) and no report was written. The world moved on. My point is that any number of rules will not stop humans occasionally doing something silly. All you can do with any incident is ask the question "How many times has this happened before?" That's one way of working out whether more should be done to train people, I think.

3. blackfour

blackfour New Member

I can confirm that every instance was reported to the proper person at the time. It was the lack of activity on the behalf of the people in question that led me to take further action.

Tom

4. sootyxfd

sootyxfd Member

from the RVP website - so far the only ones to make any comment

5. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

Although this is going slightly off topic, the UK's railways are much safer than they were 40 years ago - the figures in this report - http://www.rssb.co.uk/library/risk-analysis-and-safety-reporting/2012-aspr-annual-safety-report.pdf (pages 15/16/17 in particular) show big reductions in fatalities for both passengers and railway workers since the early 1970's.

6. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Tom,
    No witch hunt from me, I simply took issue with a statement earlier in the thread which is quite clearly untrue.
    I am concerned though that, whatever your particular grievance may be, you choose to air it (albeit in vague terms) on a public forum. Other than potentially damaging the GCR's reputation, I can't see what this achieves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Royalscot

Royalscot New Member

With respect I think the GCR have damaged their own reputation in the last 72 hours.

8. blackfour

blackfour New Member

Phil,

The GCR are perfectly competent at damaging their own reputation with their repeated accidents. Nothing I say can make their reputation any worse than it already is.

Now, as for my statement being clearly untrue. I made that statement whilst looking at photos of a Class 37 buried in an MK1 TPO vehicle. Unless I'm sadly mistaken, such an eventuality should not take place on a safe railway. If the rules were being followed properly, there's no way, at all, that this could have happened. You can't seriously argue against that.

Tom

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I don't think its fair to single one railway out, the ORR must surely be looking at all preserved lines.
    It might just be the internet, but it does seem the overall annual number of incidents as a whole in the preserved railway sector is increasing, maybe higher than the number ofincidents on network rail...

God forbid we've been close to some boiler explosions, one line had a loco with low water hauling a passenger train with 1 only person on the footplate..

There's been at least a dozen collisions in the last few years

It to me seems that if the sector doesn't pull its socks up, their will be regulation to enforce it and it may be due.. Railways are not toys.

jnc and twa_dogs like this.
  10. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Well all I will say is lets hope all us operational railway staff can learn from the GC's misfortune, we should not be affraid to do this as, after all, the BR 1950 rule book, which so many of our rule books are based on, is just a list of 239 other people's cock ups!

Big Al likes this.
  11. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Interesting point you raise there. Do you think that there are more incidents or more awareness of them due to the internet etc? I do wonder if the stats would say no increase but we hear about the incidents more now.

12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The ORR do look at all heritage railways. At the last HRA meeting we were told that the number of incidents, whilst never satisfactory, was not warranting any regulatory action and not increasing apart from a blip three years ago . I'm sure that the 'net is responsible for both the increase of awareness and 'bigging' them up.

13. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

Err - and where's the problem in that?
    (I accept low water is never a good situation, but sometimes matters do conspire against you, no matter how many people are on board - and there is a big difference between 'low water' and 'no water'!)

Not all railways operate on the BR principle of driver & fireman (and traction inspector, loco owner's representative, tom cobley & all). The Llanberis lake railway operate passenger trains on 2ft gauge with a single person on the footplate, and industrial railways weren't immune from operating with just a driver to look after things either (although that wouldn't be fare paying passenger trains).

If you enter the world of road steam, although falling more out of fashion these days, the concept of single-manning is still permitted for some types of vehicle - and away from the billiard tables of railways you can instantly swap from ascending the north face of the Eiger to descending the south face of the Matterhorn (ie. real hills), whilst also needing to worry about steering and controlling a vehicle with no brakes. (oh, and also following a route you've never been before, so have no route knowledge of what's coming next either)

As a blanket statement, it's not impossible or unsafe for one person to control a steam engine. Individual procedures, circumstances, or engine design may dictate more than one person being required - but the blanket statement given here doesn't give any clue to any of that, it simply calls into question the operation by a single person.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  14. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

If there were two people on board, one could be attending to the low water situation while the other attended to the safe operation of the train.
    Single manning is not practical on a large steam locomotive where the boiler does not permit viewing of the road ahead, signals etc from one side of the footplate.
    Single manning would not be permitted on a modern traction unit that was not equipped with a DSD, something that a steam loco does not have.

15. Drysdale

Drysdale Guest

In addition to agreeing with the above I really think it is time some of the accusations that are now being bandid about about on this topic are held in check.

As has been pointed out many people have access to both the internet in general and this board in particular and continued accusations of poor pratice in our hobby are only going to draw further interest from officialdom, remember the old saying "be careful what you wish for".

To see some of these comments made by a staff member/administrator makes me especially sad.

Wenlock likes this.
  16. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

That's as may be, but the comment posted in this thread made no reference to the incident occurring on "a large steam locomotive where the boiler does not permit viewing of the road ahead...". It simply seemed to scorn the idea of a single person driving a steam loco hauling passengers - something that plainly can and is done safely on railways which are large enough to be generally considered non-miniature. In my previous post I did state that individual circumstances or procedures may require otherwise eg. loco too large to be safely driven by a single person other than during shunting, or operating rules forbid it.

As for a single driver handling a low water situation - easy, if they're not able to operate injectors/pumps and resolve the matter whilst going along, then STOP and sort it. If the situation is serious enough that a greater problem is likely to develop (ie. drop the plug and potentially cause mechanical damage), then don't continue blindly on until the inevitable happens. But that should be the same no matter how many crew are looking after an engine. If there's a problem leading to low water, or simply the fireman gets it wrong, then to my mind a sensible driver shouldn't ignore the fact. If necessary they should be prepared to stop until the problem is resolved, at which point they can continue. To do that is safer and potentially going to cause less delay than pressing on, dropping the plug and then having to wait for rescue. ...even if the fireman responsible gets an ear bending afterwards!

17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

A general point not directly related to the GCR matter. When something goes wrong, it is usually for the first time for that person or that crew. What they may know should be done is then tested in the heat of the moment when any number of other factors can affect clear thinking. Anyone may know what to do but whether they actually do it in the stress of the moment is another matter.

I recall an incident when, after a significant loss of water on a locomotive, it was actually a member of the support crew who thought, amidst everything else, to get the injectors working and thereby save the boiler. Maybe that instance was just good delegation while the crew attended to other things. Maybe it was just someone who saw clearly what needed to be done first. My point is that in all these situations that we've drifting into talking about, it's hard to know exactly what anyone would do until they are there and in that situation.

Drysdale likes this.
  18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Since you nor I nor just about everyone else on the planet has no idea what caused the incident to happen, not a single conclusion can be drawn until it has been investigated and the cause deduced. Until then
    maybe you'd like to keep your speculation axe grinding to yourself.

Tony west and Drysdale like this.
  19. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I think you are being a little harsh; it can be concluded that something went badly wrong and that the GCRs reputation is unlikely to be enhanced by the incident.

Royalscot likes this.
  20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    It has been suggested that it is an NR 37. Now I have no idea if it is or it isn't but this raises the possibility that the GCR is not solely responsible. Either way, it could be human failure, equipment failure or a combination of both. Until the facts are known though, pointing a finger is pointless (excuse the pun). Let the RAIB investigate and report.

gwalkeriow and Big Al like this.