If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR Winter Gala 2010

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lewis.maddox, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I always do that when there are only a couple with me,i ask politely,but when there is a group of 20-30 people i don't think it would be particularly appropriate to walk along the entire line like someone with some position of power! I just think it is common courtesy,i always arrive on site if i am doing just fotting and look to see if anyone is videoing,if they are i shut my gob,its quite simple,surely. Shutter sounds i don't care about,they cannot be avoided but people have no reason to talk continually throughout the action! This is the main reason i prefer not to do too much linesiding at popular locations,but with the GC where there are only a couple of decent locations for vid/fot near the roads i have no option.

The problem with doing both at the same time is i need to be in a good position to get both. There were a few of us doing vid however,at least 4 or 5,it is pure ignorance to keep gobbing continually. Like me going and standing with an orange jacket in the centre of the shot,now that wouldnt go down well,would it?

It is the aparent attitude of larger groups which stops me and no doubt others asking them to be quiet,some,by no means all are likely to shrug it off and come up with a cocky,needless remark.

2. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

And nuclear trains, those with 08s, chemical trains at Seal Sands, trips on various branches with significant propelling and MGRs with class 20s......there were many fitted trains that had brake vans post the general removal but they were the exception rather than the rule. Some were still in use until very recently that is why there are so many ex EWS Queen Marys in preservation.

Ian - I wasn't questioning the fact that freights had brakes on both ends at times in steam days. I was just wondering why it was deemed necessary on a fully fitted train on a preserved line to have a brake van on the rear. As long as the train is fully fitted and there is somewhere for the guard to sit in the formation then they shouldn't need one on the back. Also many trip freights spent as much time going tender first as smoke box first as there weren't many turntables at exchange sidings!

Have a close look at the Windcutters next time you are there. They are all the VB versions painted grey and the train is at least through piped.

Regards,

3. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I'd just like to add my piece about this gala.
    Of course the weather played a large part, but that aside I reckon it was the best GCR gala I've ever been to, probably helped by a definite theme that worked well. A big thanks to all involved for making it into a great event.
    My photos from Saturday can now be seen here
    http://paulgildersleve.fotopic.net/
    I tried to avoid Woodthorpe and Kinchley Lane for a change in order to get something a little different.

Cheers,

Paul

4. SteamGalore

SteamGalore New Member

Retired Civil Engineer
    Another great Gala.I went on saturday and the fantastic light and the cold helped ensure everyone got great pictures and videos. My pictures are now up at http://www.steamgalore.co.uk/

5. Ben

Ben Member

NYMR Guard/GCR Guard
    On the subject of the GCR freight trains this weekend:

The mineral rake ran with 7 piped and 11 fitted vehicles (The use of bauxite livery on fitted vehicles isnt always applied, in order to get a set which matches to some extent)
    The mixed rake ran with 3 piped and 10 fitted vehicles (I think) (One piped example being fitted for air, and so still painted bauxite to confuse matters!)

However, as Tom has pointed out, even if the set were fully fitted, the rule book at the GCR always requires a guard's van on the rear of a freight train.

I beleive we are currently short of a freight guard's van due to an Oleo buffer fault, which I'm told is an expensive job. The freight trains are a credit to those that put their time and effort into restoring the vehicles.

6. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The point of these demonstration freights is to recreate those of the BR steam era. In those days freights, fitted or otherwise, had to have a brake van, and with very few exceptions (some ER van trains come to mind), it would be the last vehicle. It had two purposes: to apply a braking force at the rear of an unfitted or part-fitted train; and to provide accommodation for the guard. Post 1968, it was realised that he could ride in the rear cab of the diesel locomotive so the brake became unnecessary on fully fitted trains, but riding a steam loco's footplate was not an option, so in steam days there had to be a guard, and so there had to be a brake van, and it was almost always at the rear.

It was not uncommon to have more than one brake in a train, sometimes simply working back empty - as it were; or if the train were to be divided with two or more portions going seperate ways, there was logic in providing a van for each portion from the start of the journey. And if the train had to reverse at some point, it would be easier to have a van at each end to save repositioning the single van from one end of the train to the other on the main line. A brake at each end wasn't usual, but was far from unknown.

7. Midland Red 1947

Midland Red 1947 New Member

8. Oli15

Oli15 Member

9. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    With many thanks to all at the GCR involved in organising this gala.

My shots from Friday and Saturday are now up at www.dave-ballard.co.uk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the above but it wasn't my question...

Thanks to Ben though for answering my question and totally agree with your comments about the team who restore them. I use to know a few of the guys down there in the late 80s and early 90s who brought some of the collection when VB fitted wagons were still available ex BR and now allow the GC to run good freights. Good foresight!

Give me proper freight any day over self loading freight (passengers)....

11. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Just upload the first part of our footage from GCR, kicking of at 7am.
    [video=youtube;IiMRDkXri9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiMRDkXri9g[/video]
    click to play, click again for full screen.

12. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  13. MrHillingdon

I'm loving that shot (above) with the 8F, Lee. The bloke standing beside the loco makes it work really well for me. Well done.

Regards,

Paul

14. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

15. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

16. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    Nice shot of the 8f Lee. Its one location I did'nt have time to visit as the timetable was so intense!

Hi Paul, Pity we did'nt bump into each other! Have'nt seen you for ages. Where have you been? Looked at your photos, Fantastic as usual!
    See my efforts from Friday and Sunday at
    http://rickeborallphotography.fotopic.net/

Best regards....Rick

17. MrHillingdon

Hi Rick, Unfortunately my plans for late December and January were scuppered by dodgy road conditions, a guy at working falling and injuring himself on the ice meaning I had to cover his week of nights and a couple of cancelled events.
    Back in action big time now though! I hope to see you soon.
    Some nice shots at Swithland. An area that i've never really been to other than on a charter.

Cheers,

Paul

18. Oli15

Oli15 Member

19. SteamGalore

SteamGalore New Member

Retired Civil Engineer
    Some superb pictures Guys.Rick I have to congratulate you on finding angles and locations which most of us mere mortals miss.I especially like your shots around Swithland.Well done.

20. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    Hi SteamGalore,Br...

Wish I had of gone down to Loughborough with you lot first thing. It looks as if I missed some really nice shots ( like yours) With all the engines and crews getting ready.
    I knew that if I had of done that I would not have the time to get anywhere else.
    I was determined to get away from all the usual spots!
    See you around soon I hope! Get in touch if you intend going over the GCR some time.You owe me a cuppa!
    All the best....RICK
    http://rickeborallphotography.fotopic.net/