If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

German Railways 175 - Easter Spectacle ! 2010

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ADB968008, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

http://www.plandampfteam.de/userdocs/Aufruf_Dampf_trifft_Kohle_deu.pdf

Nigel,

Plandampf details are above. There might possibly be a space in a car if you are interested? We will be staying in the Ibis in Leipzig. Let me know if interested.

The HSB specials are very nice nice but they do run just about every week - http://www.hsb-wr.de/formulare/soz_kommend.htm.

Also I assume it is the support groups weekend 'gala'? I did think one of the 0-6-0Ts was now out of ticket? To be fair these 'mixed trains' are no comparison to the mainline stuff. The 65 tank is worth the trip on its' own!

Be warned German steam is very addictive - big engines, no daft historic liveries, matching stock, total photographic freedom (within reason), great welcome and top notch beer. I started with the odd trip but since 2006 I have been going five times a year!

Cheers,

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just 20 miles from the other SLS mob and me. Must meet up for a beer or five.

3. Hunslets Finest

Nigel,

Your earlier mail about the Harz special event got me thinking about my shots from 07, many of which I hadn't 'processed'. As I am meant to be painting it seemed a more fun option! Apologies for being off topic but may be of interest to others wanting to enjoy the 175 celebrations to the full!

There was a mainline Plandampf planned for the 07 gala weekend but it didn't happen as one of the engines hit a tree! A quick change of plan found us in the Harz and we fell on the specials. Lots of snow but no sun. First time I had explored the railway by car so all bit hit and miss but got some relatively decent stuff in the end.

Hope of interest,

David

4. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello all,

I am dragging this old thread to the top again because there has been some new development on the Dampfspektakel event. First of all a reply to this post:

The only "Plandampf" is a Plandiesel on the Bullay to Traben-Trarbach branch which will be a railbus or the 1920s vintage VT 761. All other trains are specials with the special tickets required.

I addition to the trains the DB Railway Museum at Koblenz will hold its annual Spring Spectacular on Easter Saturday, 3 April with "cab" rides on the replica of 1838-built "Saxonia" and possibly steeple cab electric loco E69 03. The "Adler" 1835 vintage train (replica) will also be offering rides. At 14:00 hrs. there will be a parade of the electric locos of the museum plus some guest locomotives. (And I might be one of the commentators for that). On Easter Sunday, 4 April, and Easter Monday, 5 April, there are round trips with E69 03 from Koblenz-Lützel via Neuwied (change of direction) and Ehrenbreitstein back to Koblenz-Lützel and the "Adler" train will offer rides in Koblenz-Lützel.

I am a bit puzzled about the vehicles, as there are supposed to be rides with a vintage EMU from Saarbrücken to Trier but no EMUs are listed on the roster. As there are very few operational vintage EMUs in Germany it is a save guess that it will be either the ET25 or ET65 from Stuttgart.

If you read everything on the website you will see that 41 360 is likely to make an appearance on Sunday, 5 April on a morning train from Koblenz to Trier.

I will keep you informed if I get to know more details.

Kind regards

Christoph

5. Hunslets Finest

Prices have now apperared on the website. 150 Euro for a Rover for the full event or 60 Euro per day.

Not exactlty the free events of the past but still appears good value compared to railtours in the UK.

Engine list has also been published:

ADLER, SAXONIA, FÜSSEN, 38 3199, 7512, 78 468, 58 311, 01 118 , 01 066, 42 2718, 52 6106, 64 419, 012 066, 023 042, 042 360

01 509, 50 35, 52 8055, 52 8134

Diesel: Köf II, V 60 1184, V 100 2091, V 100 2299, 221 116, 246 011, 232 004 or 232 158.Diesel railcar: WUMAG 761, 795, 798, VT43 (NE 81)

Electric: 103 184 or 103 235, E 40 128, E 69 003, 194 051, E 11 or E 42, ET 25

IMHO it is worth Euro 50 just to travel behind 01 509 all day!

Extra funding is also being sought for a proper Plandampf in connection with the specials being operated as aprt of the main event.

Hope this is of use to someone.

David

6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    01 509 is a beast without doubt but my weakness for Dreizylinderloks may force me to seek out 01 1066. Have looked at the Trier - Gerolstein timetable, eight steam "expresses" a day within spitting distance of my hotel. Dreadful! :)

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    A grand machine which I had the privilege of riding down the Ems Valley in the cab between Norddeich and Rheine on one of the D-Zugs during 1974 when it ran as 012.066. A machine to be admired - but don't overlook 01.509 which has a beauty of its own. I defy any steam enthusiast to walk away from it without being impressed. I'm planning to go but just await the full timetable to see what I will miss ( presumimg that you can't see everything on offer )

8. Sorge station

Sorge station New Member

Fine machines both 01's (any 01's in fact!!) Certainly does look like a fine collection of engines, just a shame there isn't a 3 cylinder class 44 running. Very impressive powerful machines. As an aside for anyone visiting Germany, for the first time, for these celebrations and fancy visiting the narrow gauge lines in the old east as well there is this dvd giving a guide and info to all the steam worked lines. http://www.visionsinternational.biz/html/eurovisions_1.html

9. Spamcan81

Training moles
    The Revierdampf team are organising a "pay to view" Plandampf to run in addition to the main event. If sufficient funds are forthcoming then will a steam hauled RE in each direction between Köln and Trier each day as well as steam freights out of Gerolstein including a 44. It all depends on funds. If insufficient money is raised then the 44 won't show and the RE will be steam one way only with diesel return.
    Just found the Revierdampf announcement
    "This leads to another important topic. An event at this size cannot be funded simply from tax money. Therefore, the event is to be financed from three sources: First, a part of the budget is provided from public bodies. Second, another good part has to be raised from the sales of tickets, souvenirs etc. Third, the Plandampf part has to be financed from contributions by the railway enthusiasts, as it has been the usual practise for the previous 20 years. We ask you to pay a participant fee of 190 Euros, for 5 days (no single day bookings possible for organisational reasons).

With the participant fee we intend to operate:

scheduled semi-fast passenger trains "RegionalExpress - RE" on each of the five days between Cologne and Trier, about 200 km each way, at speeds up to 120 km/h, with a 012 Pacific on Bundesbahn coaches and 01.5 Pacific on Reichsbahn coaches (because the federal state of Rheinland-Pfalz will not spend its tax money on trains running over tracks in Nordrhein-Westfalen). Excellent photo positions can be found along the route from the Eifel mountains passing the grades at Schmidtheim and Kall right into the urban scenery of Cologne with its huge station hall and the world-famous cathedral. Few money collected = one train daily with 012 and the return working hauled by historic diesel, sufficient money = 012 in one direction then change to 01.5 in the other direction, insufficient money = no RE.
    scheduled freight trains and photo freight trains (because these types of trains generate no revenue from fares). Photo trains consisting of wagons from the 60s and 70s may work on the Eifelquerbahn with its telegraph poles. Scheduled steam-hauled freights train will be dispatched for maximum load wherever possible.
    for the freight trains we can choose from a variety of 2-10-0 locomotives that are rostered for the general event: 50 35, 52 6106, 52 8055, 52 8134 and 58 311 (plus 44 2546 if sufficient money has been collected). Selection of loco(s) depends on the expected load of the scheduled trains and the budget available from participant fees. In case of failure of steam a historic diesel may substitute, namely V100 or V60 of VEB GmbH in red livery.
    Deadline for subscriptions to the Plandampf is February 15, 2010!

For participants from the United Kingdom or overseas, David Sprackland will act as agent for the Plandampf organisers and offer his renowned services including translation of insider information into English language. Please check his website http://www.plandampf.co.uk/ for his contact details."

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

If ive understood correctly I believe tickets go on sale tomorrow.

11. Hunslets Finest

Sorge,

In the last year I believe three 44s have steamed. 44 1486 is in the last years of its ticket at Stassfurt but I don't believe it is fitted with latest signalling equipment? It worked in May on the mainline stonetrain paired with a 50/52. Another resteamed in Bavaria in Oct and there is one in Holland. I understand it is hoped that the Bavarian one will take part in a high profile event in the autumn...

Never seen 01 1066 - it is always covered in leaking steam - a mobile sauna!

Looking forward to a week in the Harz and the big Plandampf at Zeitz in early Feb. Anyone else going? Timetable looking good with 2,300t coal trains behind a pair of 52.8s...event of the year in my book!

Cheers,

12. Hunslets Finest

Another big event has been announced in Dresden:

26-28.03.2010 in BW Dresden with the following attending and local railtours:

01 509 mit Sonderzug aus/nach Leipzig
    03 204 mit Sonderzug aus Cottbus
    23 1019 mit Sonderzug aus Springe
    41 1144
    50 3610 mit Sonderzug nach Decin
    52 8079
    52 8080 aus Löbau
    52 8177 mit Sonderzug aus Berlin
    65 1049 mit Sonderzug nach Bad Schandau

Lots of nice DR rebuilds in action! http://www.igbwdresdenaltstadt.de/1/2dresdner-dampfloktreffen/index.html

13. Sorge station

Sorge station New Member

3 44's have steamed recently, you're correct, what i was referring to though was the fact it was a shame there wasn't one booked to be running during the celebrations.

14. Spamcan81

Training moles
    There will be a 44 if the Revierdampf Team raise sufficient funds so if you want to see a "Jumbo," get your wallet out.

15. Hunslets Finest

I am normally among the first to get my wallet out for German freight Plandampfs but from the website I really don't know what my significant contribution would get me. An 01 on a short RE would be nice but plenty of that happening already at the event. It seems as the steam freights will be a nice to have if sufficient funds are raised but then there will be 1000s of free loaders.... perhaps I will save my money for October!

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Ive booked a hotel in Trier for Friday-monday, traveling out friday by Eurostar, staying Monday night in Brussels and return to work from the train :)

Nice thing about the Eurostar ticket is it covers any Belgium station which will get you almost to Luxembourg, where you take the train to Trier.

Off now for the 4 day ticket and then the real planning starts !

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

fyi, if booking the event card it is valid from Friday to Tuesday. It allows travel on all DB services in the region (nonsteam as well) and also the local bus networks...which in my case luckily includes my Luxembourg - Trier train.

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Here's an updated list from the website, I noticed the BR41's on the Rheingold one day.

.Bahnpostwagen Bpw 6279
    .Schnellzuglok 01 118
    .Schnellzuglok 01 1066
    .Schnellzuglok 01 509
    .Personenzuglok 23 042
    .Personenzuglok 38 3199
    .Güterzuglok 41 018
    .Güterzuglok 41 096
    .Güterzuglok 41 360
    .Güterzuglok 42 2718
    .Güterzuglok 44 2546
    .Güterzuglok 50 2740
    .Güterzuglok 50 3552
    .Güterzuglok 50 3610
    .Güterzuglok 52 8134
    .Dampflok 52 6106
    .Güterzuglok 58 311
    .Personenzuglok 64 419
    .T 11 – Hannover 75 12
    .T 18 – 78 468
    .Diesellok V60 1184
    .Diesellok V100 2091
    .Diesellok V100 2299
    .Diesellok V200 033
    .Diesellok V200 116
    .E-Lok 194 051
    .Elektrotriebwagen ET 25
    .Schienenbus VT 798 670
    .WUMAG Nürnberg 761
    .Dieseltriebwagen NE81
    .Adler Nachbau
    .TEE Rheingold

19. 50031

50031 Member Account Suspended

Cristoph, thanks for the information, I have often passed by the museum at Lutzel and I might actually visit it this time. I see from the event information there are free shuttles from Koblenz Hbf to Lutzel, will these go to the museum or just to Lutzel Bhf? Also, what traction is being used for theses trains?

20. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello,

The free shuttles are to Lützel station, not the museum. The only platform at the museum is not accessible from the South and is not on electrified track anyway. The vehicles in use will be electric Siemens Desiro of Transregio.

You may wish to note that the timetables have been amended and now there will be four specials each way from Trier to Gerolstein on Good Friday, 2 April including a midday train which will only run on that day. There will be a train Trier - Koblenz and back on 2 April and the Brohltalbahn and Eifelquerbahn Gerolstein - Ulmen will also operate on 2 April, the latter with steam. On Tuesday 6 April four scheduled trains from Gerolstein to Trier will be steam-hauled with the first train starting at Jünkerath at 6:54 hrs., the only steam-hauled train to venture further north than Gerolstein. Two scheduled trains from Trier to Gerolstein will also be steam-hauled and one with a vintage diesel loco. As a result, the first steam-hauled train of the weekend will be the 8:27 special from Trier to Gerolstein on 2 April being followed by the 9:00 Trier to Koblenz. The final steam service will be the scheduled 13:12 from Gerolstein to Trier on 6 April.

All timetables are in the broschure: http://www.der-takt.de/fileadmin/Bilder/Nahverkehrstage/Takt/Programm_dampfspektakel.pdf

Kind regards

Christoph