If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

German Railways 175 - Easter Spectacle ! 2010

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ADB968008, Aug 1, 2009.

1. 50031

50031 Member Account Suspended

Ok, I take it that the museum is within walking distance of the station or is there a bus we could use?
    Thanks....

2. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello,

according to Google Earth it is almost exactly one mile from the platform to the museum. As an alternative, there is bus route 354 (see: http://www.bahn.de/regiobusrheinmosel/view/static/kursbuch/L0354.pdf) which has a stop "DB-Museum" and bus route 370 which stops at Rheinkaserne, about 300 m from the museum. If you do not take the bus from Koblenz main station (Hauptbahnhof, short Hbf.) but from Lützel station the stop will be Balduinbrücke on the approach to the bridge across the river Mosel.

BTW: The best position to photograph the parade in the afternoon will be from the opposite side of the Köln to Koblenz railway line because only from there you will have the sun in the back. Last year a patch was made available to photographers there. I am not sure about this year's arrangements, though. If you visit the museum, please refrain from wearing hi-vis vests. You do not need them.

Kind regards

Christoph

3. 50031

50031 Member Account Suspended

Thanks a lot, most helpful!

4. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    Have booked my Ryanair flight Stansted - Weeze (formerly RAF Laarbruch, where I was once stationed), for a small fee, where I will be met by my friend, who works there. We will be doing the whole event in his charcoal coloured Honda Civic, with Dutch registration. Hope to meet-up with some of you.

@Christoph: Kennst Du zufällig meinen ehem. Arbeitskollege Karl-Heinz Weitz?

5. CarlGhega

CarlGhega New Member

heared of an other weekend at Neuenmarkt, for pentacostal.

it should be rather spectacular as they have the >Schiefe Ebene< (translation >inclined plane<) with its 1/40 ramp next to the museum, the first steep ramp for locomotive hauled trains in europe. they expect something like 30 steamlocos.

really sorry that i don not have time to visit.

here the site of the >Deutsche Dampflokmuseum<, unfortuanetely only german.
    http://www.dampflokmuseum.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=17

6. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

By pentecostal, Carl means Whitsun. Dates are 30 May - 1 June. Locos expected include Pacific 01 118 (tackling the hill on the Saturday), 52 8195, 50 3616 (subject to post-overhaul testing) and 52 8075. On the Sunday some trips using class VT 772 "Schienenbus" units are scheduled, which means diesel of course, but as these are virtually all window above elbow height, you'd get some great views of the incline and the landscape.

For anyone (?) who's not familiar with the Schiefe Ebene, it's north of Bayreuth, so Nürnberg/Nuremberg should be the best "via".

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Have now received my electronic copies of both Dampfspektakel and 20 Jahre Plandampf info - hard copies still in the post - but I've yet to discover any details of ferry moves before and after the event. Does anyone have any info on this?

8. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hi,

There is very little information on that. The Prussian T11 from Minden is due to arrive at Gerolstein on Wednesday, 31 March but that's all I have at the moment.

Kind regards

Christoph

9. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hi,

Further to my earlier post, there will now be steam specials Gerolstein - Ulmen on Tuesday, 6 April as well, the final steam service being the 15:50 from Ulmen.

Kind regards

Christoph

10. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Thanks for your replies Christoph. I now have both info packs so have the times for both the "free" and "paid for" elements of the event.
    Any info on ferry moves on the 1st and 7th will be welcome if you learn anything about them.

Rgds
    Ian

11. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello,

I would like to amend my earlier reply to this message as well. There will be a free shuttle bus from Koblenz-Lützel station to the museum which runs half-hourly from 9:15 h until 17:45 h returning from the museum from 9:30 h until 18:00 h. The bus stop will be at Balduinbrücke outside Koblenz-Lützel station.

(These timings, by the way sound quite ludicrous to me. 15 minutes are allowed to change from shuttle train to shuttle bus or vice versa. If you do not mind the walk, you will have walked to the museum in that time.)

Kind regards

Christoph

12. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I now have some information regarding ferry moves. Most locos will have moved before I arrive in Germany but return times have not yet been published.

Ferry moves, status March 28 16h00

01 509 und 50 3610 on Tuesday March 30 Leipzig-Plagwitz dep. 7:08 via Zeitz - Gera - Saalfeld (water 10h00 to 11h30) - Schweinfurt - Rottendorf - Wuerzburg to Zell, arrival approx. 18h00.
    Continues Wednesday March 31 Zell dep 8h54 via Gemuenden and Aschaffenburg (approx 11h00) to Hanau, for water. Then continues with diesel pilot class 218, route and times not fixed.

41 018 leaves Augsburg Tuesday March 30 7:46 via Treuchtlingen and Crailshein (approx 10h45) to Heilbronn, arrival approx 14h00.
    Wednesday March 31 Lokzug with 01 1066 and 41 018 Heilbronn dep 7h04 via Eberbach to Neustadt/Weinstrasse, where 58, 50 and 78 join. Continues via Kaiserslautern (Water stop).
    The historic coaches will be moved in a separate train with electric class 139, Heilbronn dep 8h00 same route to Trier.

01 118 and 23 042 may not arrive at Trier before Thursday at approx. 12h00. Route and Times not fixed yet.

The 52 from Siegen travels via Hagen-Eckesey to Euskirchen where My 1138 and P8 may join. Times not fixed yet.

13. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello,

According to a message on the German forum www.drehscheibe-online.de it will not be My 1138 but another loco, most likely 246 011 which collects steam locos from northern Germany. My 1138 will be occupied with moves from the East.

Kind regards

Christoph

14. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Yes, it seems things are changing all the time. The Preußen P8 will now be a different loco to that planned originally.

Kind regards

15. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello,

just in case anyone is interested I have done a quick check about the requirements for locos and I have also done a spreadsheet of departures from Trier. From my calculation the following number of locos are required:

2 Locos for Saarbrücken - Trier - Koblenz. These will be drawn from the pool of 01 118, 01 509 and 01 1066.
    2 Locos for Saarburg - Trier - Bullay - Cochem.
    2 Locos for Trier - Gerolstein (unless locos are chaged at Gerolstein or Trier)
    3 Locos for Gerolstein - Daun - Ulmen including T11 Hannover 7512
    1 Loco for Luxemburg - Trier, most likely CFL 5519.
    1 Loco for Plandampf on Saturday and Monday.

15 Locos are planned, so there is some reserve if things go wrong.

Further allocations are not known, at least not to those who did not get the Plandampf info pack, but I would guess that the 78 will be on Gerolstein - Ulmen, the 23 and 38 (P8) will be on Saarburg - Cochem. the 41s on Trier - Gerolstein and the 50s and 52s all over the place.

http://www.revierdampf.de/engl-version/engl-index.htm will supply you with further information.

Kind regards

Christoph

16. Christoph

Christoph New Member

17. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hello all,

the event is almost over now but I would like to put the odd bits on record already.

I have not seen much of it but I believe I found my personal highlight, more by chance I hasten to add, and hope that quite a few found it too: The steam-hauled harbour shuttles on the narrow-gauge Brohltalbahn. The branch is not normally used by passengers and certainly not by a hired-in steam loco in the form of "Franzburg" of the DEV at Bruchhausen-Vilsen. As there is no run-round loop at the harbour the coach used was gravity-shunted into a siding. Fascinating!

On Saturday I was active at the Koblenz museum selling tickets for cab-rides and shuttles with the replica "Adler"-train of 1835. If you were there it is very unlikely that you missed me.

On a saddening note, there was a fatal accident on Saturday at Ulmen where a 17-year old trainee fireman was run over by another steam loco. The young man died in hospital on Sunday morning.

Kind regards

Christoph

18. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
  19. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    May have bought my Saxonia cab/Adler train ride tckt on sat from you--were you giving an excellent english translation/greeting after we arrived on 01 1066 ?

What an amazing few days........Saarbrucken 01 118 Luxem 5519 KOLN 01 on 13.32 Trier--Koln pass train!! 78-468 41 + 52 Yes,all 3 on 9.16 Trier-Gerolstein pass
    Rode behind 15 diff steam,many "new" Track/fun/good planning/relaxed/maybe up to 25 locos steamed. Rheingold headed by steam on monday etc

This is not a full report--just a "thankyou" to the huge no of people/Db/local authorities/preservation volunteers who worked to achieve so much!!

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

This was by far a fantastic event !

My mileage was:

Saturday:

88km 08.32 Trier to Gerolstein BR78: 78.468
    33km 10.25 Gerolstein to Ulmen T11 7512 + 261 671-2 + BR58 58.311 (18 coaches with the tank on the front, the 0-6-0 diesel in the middle and the bR58 at the back)
    33km 12.00 Ulmen to Gerolstein BR58 58.311 - this working slipped to a crawl (and I mean a really slow old age shuffle).. but did not stop !, resulted in a 1 hour delay
    (It was at this time the fireman on the T11 fell from the loco and was caught by the wheels), a Helicopter was summoned and landed across the tracks stopping all services but sadly he did not survive)... sadly I believe I may have a picture of the lad on the footplate maybe 1 hour before hand.
    Shuttle from Gerolstein to Gerolstein shed with BR52 52.6106 top and tailed 0-6-0 "Waldbrol" - included a ride over a turntable !
    88km 17.00 Gerolstein to Trier BR 23 23.042

Highlight of the day was 3 steam hauled trains all in Gerolstein at the same time (Arrival from Trier with 23.042, pre-mature arrival of BR 50.2742 and the shuttle with 52.6106), seeing the BR218 diesel on the Koln service.

Sunday

140km 07.09 Trier - Koblenz with BR 01.0509-08, fresh from Overhaul, stormed up the valley to Koblenz, including an enforced stop by the AWS system, before Tries Garden for speeding ! (on GPS put it at 87mph in the lower part of the journey).
    3km 10.53 Koblenz Lutzel to Koblenz with E40-128 (Preserved Green Electric) - saw E69.03 pass through on a railtour.
    70km 11.07 Koblenz - Bullay 01.0509-08 (train left 20 minutes late due to re-arranging the railtrails group from the rest of the train into their own carriage), the train lost it's path and was stopped at Tries Garden to allow a passing train to go, at 30 minutes late it was then signal checked before Cochem, then a freight passed, lead to a miscommunicated and then the loco whistled and set off.. straight through a red light, which tripped the AWS and brought us to a stand once again by 2 carriage lengths, this time 20 minutes paperwork assued taking us 1 hour late.
    65km 15.21 Bullay - Ehrang 41.360
    5km 17.2x Service train to Trier
    7km 18.13 Trier - Karthaus5521 (BR 52 2-10-0) ex CFL
    7km 18.46 Karthaus - Trier 41.360

Highlight of the day.. the fastest mainline run I have had behind steam... the scenery along this line to Koblenz including the arches near Cochem, and the fascinating history of the longest tunnel in geremany between Cochem & Bullay (I was talking to one of the owners of the 01 who used to drive this route who told me a huge amount of interesting stories! including how the flavour of the wine changed when steam ended.. the vines no longer had 50x a day x2 BR52's hauling coal up the valley dropping smoke on the ground)

Monday

85km 07.34 Trier to Volklingen BR01 01-118
    85km 09.21 Volklingen to Trier ET25 Electric unit (and the first time I felt warm this weekend).
    Spent the rest of the day "dampflokspotting" at Trier .. I counted 49 Steam locomotive movements (arrivals, departures, stock moves, LE and shunting) with no less than 8 steam locomotives, the Danish Nohab on the Cochem service, the BR41 on the Rheingold set, and the "missing" BR01 1066 showing up on the Koln service, and BR218 on the incoming, and BR78 + BR218 light engine departure, BR41 shunting in the station etc..
    50km 18.13 Trier - Luxembourg 5521 (BR 52 2-10-0) ex CFL

Highlight of the day...at one point every platform at Trier had a steam locomotive on a train in the platform.. and the top end dissapeared in smoke...(The BR41 on Rheingold, BR41 on saarburg and BR52 on Luxembourg departures), and a BR23 stock as well as the 01 coming off shed shunting with the BR 218 diesel at the other end of the station).

The "gentle pace" of the 01 on the Saarbrucken service (56mph max), and the Gerolstein services sedate pace (and the BR52 Gliding to luxembourg), I was told that "words had been said" on shed about speeding (the 01 driver had recieved 2 reports on his card on 1 trip on saturday) and also the word of the incident at Daun had spread basically it was obvious more caution had been placed on the day.

total steam mileage.. somewhere circa 450 miles.
    total steam locomotives.. somewhere circa 30 locomotives (inc those on shed at Gerolstein)