If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Glue?

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by pete2hogs, Jan 26, 2009.

1. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

What glue do people use to attach the detail bits you get with modern proprietary locos (Bachmann in particular)? They seem to be some sort of nylon so I'm guessing polystyrene glue isn't right, and Araldite would be very messy.

2. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I just use Superglue as long as t is a permenant fixture... I hold the detail parts with a pair of tweezers till the detailed parts have set...

3. James

James Part of the furniture

I read somewhere that PVA glue was best, as it can easily be washed off without leaving a horrible melted mark.

4. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Trouble is with PVA it takes a while to set..

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Well, it depends on whether you want to keep you locos in prime condition. I use Humbrol Clearfix which is a strong bond, but relatively easy to clean up if used carefully. I also use PVA, which I have no problems with (Evo-Stik wood glue has a slightly shorter curing time at 20 minutes).

6. CityOfLeeds

CityOfLeeds New Member

I second PVA wood glue - strong, not brittle when dry, dries clear, easy to apply (with time to reposition components if not immediately correct, unlike superglue), easy to clean off excess with no damage to the mouldings etc. For the first few minutes you may need to tweak the position until it 'sets' enough to hold itself, but it doesn't take too long to get a firm enough hold.

7. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

Thanks for the advice, will try PVA (because I've already got some :) )