If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Golden Valley Light Railway - Running Information.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by GVLR, May 5, 2013.

1. GVLR

GVLR New Member

Steam hauled trains will be running tomorrow using Bagnall 0-4-2IST "Joan". Trains depart from Brands Crossing Station (Opposite the signal box) at 12.05, 13.15, 14.05, 14.45, and 15.15. Say hello to our Train crew - Eddie and Jim.

2. Goldie

Goldie New Member

Goldie Here are a few photos of the GVLR's smart looking Orenstein & Koppel last September. Oddly low light conditions had the phone camera struggling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mrcow, ilvaporista and Bluenosejohn like this.
  3. Goldie

Goldie New Member

4. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    How does one get to this railway now - is the only public route via the standard gauge train service from Butterley?

Mrcow likes this.
  5. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Basically, the footpath is blocked off from Butterley now and you pretty much can't get to Swanwick in car. There are a load of home made signs on the roads approaching it proclaiming how much you aren't allowed to go down them. As a casual observer it appears the neighbours are all a bit Wicker man, but maybe someone else has a more accurate idea of what's happened with them.

6. Goldie

Goldie New Member

We had to tackle this challenge when we visited! There is a route by road and public footpath, but it is not obvious or particularly welcoming - it literally involves skirting an old, abandoned mine. The public footpaths option on Derbyshire County Council's website helps. We didn't check whether access is available to Newlands Inn Station on the GVLR, but if it is, that might be the easiest way to get to it if you're just there for the GVLR.

https://maps.derbyshire.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main?mapcfg=Ordnance_Survey_Maps

Mrcow likes this.
  7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    That's scary. :) Re the footpath you say is blocked off from Butterly. Are you referring to the one that ran along the top of the cutting between there at Swanwick?

Sheff likes this.
  8. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

Yes, it's got a pile of rubbish across it and a sign on a piece of A4 explaining that it was only for staff use anyway so you shouldn't miss it. There's an alternative route through the fields but if you don't know the area well it's very difficult to find without accidental detours.

9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I've used that path since I first visited Butterley many years ago so how come the change of heart I wonder.

ykin01 and Sheff like this.
  10. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

Me too. Apparently the path's condition is too poor.

11. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Judging by the photos there is road access from somewhere ! Is it restricted to members only or are neighbours attempting to illegally block the right-of-way ?
    How do you access the Midland Rail Centre ?

12. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Ordanance Survey show the road as a public right of way. So you can at least walk it.

13. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Shows maps of the Country Park, with access shown from Newlands Road https://www.midlandrailway-butterley.co.uk/country-park/
    https://westshedmuseum.com/visit-us/location-opening-accessibility-info/ - 'The West Shed is located on the Swanwick Junction museum complex of the Midland Railway-Butterley, Ripley, Derbyshire. Normal access to the Swanwick museum complex is via a heritage train ride from the Midland Railway’s Butterley Station (fare payable), alighting at Swanwick station to walk up to the West Shed. Please note that this walk is approximately 430 metres (5-10 minutes) and includes some uneven surfaces.'

14. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    So the conclusion seems to be that there is no real access other than via the standard gauge railway. For which the fares seem to be a minimum of £10 per person (although the website is very unclear on this). This doesn't seem like a terribly sustainable proposition to me.

Mrcow likes this.
  15. jamesd

jamesd Member

I always viewed the NG line as an add on to the activities of the Midland Railway centre, rather like the miniature railway at the NRM for which a separate fare is charged. I have visited the MRC, ridden the SG trains and had a ride on the narrow gauge which adds up to an enjoyable day out. Granted, if you're on a very small budget or not interested in SG, then it probably isn't for you.

16. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

In one direction you have to pass a housing estate who've put up a sign saying it's a private road, then a Police admin and training centre who've also put up a sign saying it's private (it looks like a normal adopted public road to me, and the local authority appear to still be maintaining it). In the other direction you have to pass a couple of houses with a selection of Texas Chainsaw Massacre style semi derelict vehicles and a home made sign screwed over a highways department one covered in legal mumbo jumbo proclaiming the road to not be a public right of way. It's a really strange way to access a visitor attraction and seems like a bit of a dropped ball to me. I'm not party to the politics that led to the current state of affairs but I can't think of another place where you need to be quite so dedicated to find your way in, with the possible exception of the planning department in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

17. jamesd

jamesd Member

This text is taken from the MRC website The Golden Valley Light Railway - Midland Railway Butterley (midlandrailway-butterley.co.uk):

Access to Swanwick Junction without a train ride is possible during times that trains are running. The embankment top footpath from Butterley to Swanwick Junction is too degraded currently and has been closed. There is no public parking at Swanwick Junction or on its approach roads, but access on foot is possible when the inner gates are open.

If starting from Butterley station, walk up coach road to where the footpath to the Swanwick Junction gates cuts across the field, then around the back of the farm / ex colliery, then up through the lower former car park. This is not much further than the cutting top route alongside the railway. From Golden Valley camp site one can either walk up through the country park and then the former car park or direct up the narrow lane and around the back of the farm / ex colliery. A number of public footpaths approach the GVLR public footpath crossing from the North side of the standard gauge, please see the OS maps that are accessible via Bing maps.

Goldie, ykin01 and black5 like this.