If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Good to see RM on here!

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by PhotoMatt, Sep 12, 2007.

1. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Much as the subject says really, good to see the best mag (not that I'm biased) represented on Nat Pres!

2. Timothy Hackworth Jr

Timothy Hackworth Jr Member

Indeed, amen to that, now we have the big 2 1/2 - and I'll leave you to guess who the half is in my opinion.

3. hr i think

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is it really necessary to name the mag that Timothy Hackworth Jr may think deserves the 1/2?

I dont think this thread should be used to slag off other magazines... rough-shunter if you have a problem with HR or even SR then why not talk about it in the relevent sections devoted to the magazines?

I thought the purpose of this thread was just to have people say they were glad "The Railway Magazine" had it's own area... maybe not :-k

5. i am glad the rm has arrived on hear as h have a few things i wish to say but i will save them for another time

6. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Yes, You may have seen threads with input from 'RM staff' who has said that he will try and answer questions / gauge opinions on here as and when time allows, but please remember they also have a magazine to write!

7. Timothy Hackworth Jr

Timothy Hackworth Jr Member

Indeed SYM, and although not wishing to bring other mags into it, I admire Mr Shovel for his being able to do so, and have a family life at the same time! Welcome again RM!

8. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Well that sound an interesting proposition ! At least you have the three 'heavyweights' here now.

Can't promise to answer all queries but you can be sure I'll be honest with any answers given. I may also prefer to PM a poster with a reply, and would respect that if that happens, the reply does remain private.

Please bear in mind that initially I am doing this solo, and may not be on line every night - you'd hate the magazine to be late by being tied up in a forum.

Thanks - Glad to be here.
    Chris Milner

9. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Well said that man!

10. mendiprail

mendiprail Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    This forum is going up in the world, first SR, then HR now RM. It can only be a good thing and I look forward to commenting on your magazine.

11. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I've just switched to RM from one of the others as I find it very refreshing and honest.....not really into the modern stuff though but I read it all from cover to cover as it's good to know what is going on.... :-D

12. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Thanks for the comment ipod.

We are often viewed as a journal of record and as such we produce an index every year which helps readers who have their copies professionally bound or use the loose binders to track stories and features. The index is free to UK subscribers or a couple of quid to non-subscribers.

I'd be interested in whether people would find an online cumulative index dating back to 1897 that can be accessed from the web useful a useful feature - it's one of a number of ideas we are considering, as we are one of just a few magazines who still publish an index.

I'll try and start another thread with a voting section.

13. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    IIRC Railway Magazine is the only current railway title which is archived at the NRM.

14. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

That's good to know.

A copy goes to the British Library every month too, and many libraries around the country have a copy too. If they dont, ask them to consider doing so.

15. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Welcome at last RM to the forum!

I've been buying The RM since 1993 and have to say the current RM editorial team are producing the best Railway title on the Newsagents shelves. It really has progressed since I began buying it. I now subscribe and can't wait for each issue to arrive.

The Special Editions are outstanding and it is very evident the amount of effort which is put into them. Looking forward to the next Big Four edition on the LMS. I have noticed one of the rival publications are starting the same theme with their next issue, also an LMS special! Does this irritate the team at one magazine when another starts "copying" them?

16. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

I too wish to welcome them onto here. I mainly get RM for the classic diesel news and what's going on with the network at the moment. And i do enjoy the stock bit which lists the disposals and which engines are going to be cut up and which are entering into preservation. Great article on the 31s by the way.

17. peterbrynt

peterbrynt New Member

Welcome to the boards.

By far my favourite magazine, especially with the miniature railway section.

The only thing I think could be improved is if this Miniature Railway Section was included much more reguarly. As the Rm is the only one to have a MR section, then it would be good to have it on a more regular basis?

Thanks for producing such a great magazine.
    Peter

18. 46203

46203 Member

Yes, welcome to RM, the best steam mag on the news stand.
    Quality is worth waiting for.

19. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Many, many thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated, and I'd like to thank you for your support by buying The RM.

We like to play our cards close to our chests so you never know what will be in the next issue, but we can assure you of a good read every month.

20. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Hear hear, a very good magazine although I have one small moan, and that is the steam news always seems to be 2/3/ weeks behind the other mags.

Why is this please?

Regards
    Chris